What transmission to use - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What transmission to use

K i apologize in advance i am not the smartest when it comes to automatic transmission... so what i got is a chevy carb 350 i'm looking into putting an auto on w/ OD... to get rid of some of the ecu stuff i read i might be able to go to manual valve bodies (not sure if its correct or not) but I am very concerned on how the Overdrive will work. The two trans i have been looking into are the 700r4 or the 4l60e what would be the best choice and what would i need to do make it all work?

By the way this is all being dropped in a 59 ford f100

Thank you all in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

The 700R4 is a good choice and is not electronic, it has a throttle valve adjustment that is critical to get correct. Summit has an attachment to the carb that corrects the geometry. I am sure someone who knows more will chime in.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Got it moving under its own power
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxman35a
The two trans i have been looking into are the 700r4 or the 4l60e what would be the best choice and what would i need to do make it all work?

Thank you all in advance
Well, the 700r4 is an excellent choice but I would encourage you to look into the 2004r. Each of these units require a tv cable hooked up to the throttle bracketry. This can be accomplished by getting a full setup from a wrecking yard from a card equipped car with the 2004r. A Cadillac, Oldsmobile or Buick with a setup is ripe for the picking.

The 700r4 can be found but does have a deeper first gear with a big jump to second. The 2004r is much more evenly spaced.

The 4l60e is a computer controlled unit that coincidentally requires a computer to function.

It sounds like you will need a custom driveshaft so that isn't a factor. Finding a decent builder will be the biggest hurdle.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

the 7004r and 4l60 are the same tranny,,
the 7004r is controlled with a t.v. cable to control shift points and timing.. allong with governers.. basicly mechanical,hydralic controlled, the converter clutch was controlled electronicly..

the 4l60e is the same tranny but the computer controls shifting...

like said above they have a low first gear, and a big gear split from 1st to 2nd.. in your pick up.. thats not that much of an issue.. and g.m. still uses that tranny in new trucks..
the 4l60e requires a computer, the aftermarket makes these.. they are about 400 and up..
at this point, the 4l60e that bolt up to a ole small block (non ls based) are 13 years old, and the 7004r being older.. plan on it needing a rebuild..
and a new converter,, it has a clutch in them and they wear.
if you do the rebuild yourself the kit is about 300.oo and a new converter is 325-400.. if someone else does it.. figure 1000.00+converter.. and if 4l60e add controller..
note******* if you do a 700r4 try to get an 86 up.. they have a few upgrades.. over the earlier units.. and can lower the rebuild cost..

the 2004r that was listed above.. has better gear splits.. but will need better hard parts to live in a heavy truck and 350-400 ft lb of torque
and if your not dragracing the gear splits are not that big a deal..

remember the t.v. cable MUST BE SET UP CORRECTLY.. depending on your fuel delivery.. intake, holley and others make the brackets needed..
efi, it'll depend on what your use'n..
if you don't want to deal with getting that right then the controller and 4l60e is a better choice..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.