what Transmission are you running behind your sbc or bbc engine? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what Transmission are you running behind your sbc or bbc engine?

What kind of transmission are you running behind your sbc/bbc ? Where did you get it from? Durable?

Im in the market for transmissions and looking for the best deals... avoiding any bad reputation transmission shops etc...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

700r4 that I rebuilt myself. 1500 miles on it an it works great.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Dogwater what kind of power is it handling up to?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM

It behind a 350 chevy, right around 370 380 HP. 78 Z28 Camaro. So really this is the ideal transmission for this set up. Its not overpowering nor is it a dog. 700 r4's tend to run into problems when you get into 450 HP range, or a boat load of torque. I think its a lot of torque more than HP that tends to cause problems. But mine isn't just the everyday 700 either, it has all the important mods in it that makes it live longer. An also I don't abuse it either, but it gets a good work out every now an then.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Shopping around for transmissions and theres a well known guy at ck performancemance who builds a 700r4 that can withstand 500hp/500tq ... most guys say a 700r4 at that power level won't last long.... but ck performance is looked up to by other builders so im thinking hes doing something others can't do or has found a way others hasnt....

I wont abuse mines or drive it hard every day..its not for all out racing either. ..

Other option is the 4l80e but im trying to get out of that 4200.00 price tag which includes everything I need to do the install...computer...yoke..converter etc
Old 07-19-2014, 08:19 PM
More for Less Racer

My first question is to want to know what size/HP/Torque engine is this going to be put behind, what vehicle it is going into, what rear gear, and what is the intended usage??

Can even start to consider which trans to use without knowing those key factors.

The 4L80E can be run without a computer controller, as a full manual valvebody trans if this is a real high performance application.

Most guys who say a 700R4 won't handle 500/500 are guys unwilling to spend the $$$ to change "hard parts" like shafts and drums/sprags, and expect to just do it with stock ratating parts, rebuild kits w/shift kit and a servo mod...not a true performance trans like CK builds.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Personalty I'd still be a little leary of any one saying a 700r4 or even a 200r4 being able to handle 500hp & 500 tq. I know that their are some transmissions out their that have been living behind that, but the question is for how much longer. The 700 an 200 were never engineered to handle that where as the 4l80e was, I wouldn't say was but can be build to handle it. If you look at what it would cost to to go with a manual trans. for that same power range, it might even be more or close to it. A 4l80e just stock is pretty strong without doing anything to it. And as far as a converter you'd have to do that anyway with any of these transmissions. I put all my cash into the trans. & bought a barely used but not so great converter (2800 stall P.A.C.T.). I didn't change either yoke but I did use a stronger drive shaft from a Mustang an had it balanced. Its the stand alone controller that's another expense, last I checked into it they were 600.00 for the least expensive. But in my mind its the only way to go, want something that's going to last, that won't have to be pulled out cause I drank a few beers an did a few burnouts. Only one way to go 4l80e. Being 59 yrs. old, I'm not in the mood to yank out a transmission any more. Also being older my burnouts don't amount to much, maybe 2 ft. of rubber on my driveway which I get in trouble for. "The H.O.A. is gonna kick your *** for that"
Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 PM

Hard to beat Neal Chance out of Wichita. Tell him what you want to do and be honest with what you have.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

Ericnova'

383 sbc engine 500hp 500tq. .. 1957 chevy truck.. weighs no more than. 3500 lbs... rear gear 3.73 posi eaton.... 30 inch tall tires...I will ditch out extra money for quality.... so do you guys think my best route would be the 4l80e?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 AM
More for Less Racer

Unless you are drag racing it nearly every weekend all summer long, on sticky tires, I would expect any major 700R4/Overdrive specialty company to be able to do a 700 that will live just fine...CK, Monster, Bowtie Overdrives, PAT.

Most local shops wouldn't be able to handle it though, unless they specialize in racing transmissions and don't do that much daily driver type trans work.

Used to be a local Real deal race trans shop 50 miles from me, the owner there did a 200R4 for us 8+ years ago to handle a 383 450-470 hp engine for street/strip use, was something like $1600-1700 with 3000 stall converter. Basically all he did was race transmissions, was also a Super Stock racer with a '64 Fairlane 427 Thunderbolt(the real deal) in NHRA SS/B class.

Trans has held up great, and I can somewhat remember the parts he rattled off that he was going to change inside the trans, there were several stock rotating parts that were going right into the trash can...input shaft, 2-4 drive basket (?),stock parts machined in-house to take Torrington bearings in place of flat thrust washers, etc and full custom converter, built by him also. and he listed it off so easily we knew that he knew what he was talking about.

Too bad he is retired now, guy that bought the trans biz from him isn't as good
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
64SS327 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Eric is right. Both the 200 and 700 can handle your needs. They get a bad rap because people rebuild them without upgrading the hard parts that are known to fail. Those parts don't add a huge amount to the rebuild price.

A transmission has to be upgraded just like an engine for its known use. A transmission isn't a piece of junk just because it needs to be upgraded either.

The 4L80 is strong stock transmission because it basically has all the "upgraded" parts in it from the factory. Nothing wrong with adding those parts to a 200 or 400. You just have to do more than a basic "rebuild" or it won't survive.

Another thing is many people don't know hot to set the tv cable and that results in early transmission failures. You need a pressure gauge to determine whether or not the tv cable is set correctly. This is impossible to do without one.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM

Eric and 64 are both right. Both the 700 and 200 are good options. Just replace a few of the hard parts that tend to fail. Use good clutches, bigger boost valve in the pump. Then set the tv cable up right with the tranny gauge. Its work, but it does pay off. I rebuilt mine myself just because I wanted to do it my way. I tried to get several places to build it my way, but they wouldn't do it. I think maybe they were upset a little by me telling them how I wanted it done my way. So I did it myself so I could say I've rebuilt it myself. I went with the 200 4r because I may want to put it back to stock some day. I didn't need any real modifications because my cross member just moved back. I didn't have to shorten my driveshaft which was also a big help.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarques_191 View Post
Ericnova'

383 sbc engine 500hp 500tq. .. 1957 chevy truck.. weighs no more than. 3500 lbs... rear gear 3.73 posi eaton.... 30 inch tall tires...I will ditch out extra money for quality.... so do you guys think my best route would be the 4l80e?
I have a 57 gmc cab and front end sitting on a 59 chevy frame and fleetside bed. My truck weighed 4000 #'s on certified scales. Of course you may have shaved off some weight. Just a thought. sbc with th400 and 12 bolt.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

I have a 700r4 in my trans am behind a fairly stock TPI motor. The ex drove it more than I did and its a nice daily driver. However, I really have an issue with that cliff-like drop from 1st to 2nd. However, its just a driver so who cares. If I was picking an automatic to perform and had the money; I'd talk to Jake (JakeShoe) or Chris at CK or Lonnie from Extreme Automatics. You may find that a 4L60e with its adjustable shift points and smaller size than the 80e will fit your bill nicely. A 200-4r is on my wish list, I like the closer ratio spread, relatively compact size and I don't need 500+hp.

On a 4 speed stick front; I sell way more wide ratio gearboxes (for 3.55 - 4.11 rear gears) than anything else. Usually with a 26 spline input and 27 spline output.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Eric is right. Both the 200 and 700 can handle your needs. They get a bad rap because people rebuild them without upgrading the hard parts that are known to fail. Those parts don't add a huge amount to the rebuild price.

A transmission has to be upgraded just like an engine for its known use. A transmission isn't a piece of junk just because it needs to be upgraded either.

The 4L80 is strong stock transmission because it basically has all the "upgraded" parts in it from the factory. Nothing wrong with adding those parts to a 200 or 400. You just have to do more than a basic "rebuild" or it won't survive.

Another thing is many people don't know hot to set the tv cable and that results in early transmission failures. You need a pressure gauge to determine whether or not the tv cable is set correctly. This is impossible to do without one.
correct. and if the g.m. was still using those trans they'd have got the upgrades as they were needed..
the 4l80e is a th400 with a o/d hung off it.. the center support died in the first years of them.. until g.m. fixed it..

the 2004r has been behind turbo buicks making big block torque for years..
fits where a th350 did.. and waste less hp turning it..
the 4l80e is a nice trans... but the controllers are silly money..
it be nice if someone would make a copy of the 96 diesel truck stand alone controller and made the shift points programmable.. and sold it cheap.. as the 500-800 controllers + a 2500+ trans and 900 converter.. is silly..
I have a th400 and I'll add a gearvenders to the tail..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.