What type of primer/sealer and paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What type of primer/sealer and paint?

Guys,

I am getting ready to prime my 69 AMX after stripping it to bare metal and hanging some new sheet metal. With so many options on the market, I am wondering what I should use to prime/seal it. I am planning on doing the bodywork over the primer/sealer I apply. I am doing the bottom of the car as well as the top. A friend recommended Transtar 2K Epoxy primer sealer. Any thoughts or experience with this product? I used it on the frame of my 69 corvette and found it worked nicely for that.

Also not entirely clear on what I am using for the topcoat and would appreciate any suggestions for that as well. I seem to remember someone on another post recommended something different for the bottom of the car than for the top, for the obvious reason of not being able to sand the bottom.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Last journal entry: brakes
Last photo:

i'd use a self etching primer first then epoxy primer/sealer. urethane primer after that. the manager of dupont by my house suggested that. top coat i'd use an acrylic 1 step base/clear system if you're on a budget. i used it on my camaro. worked pretty good. its only about 150 worth of paint for the whole car and you can sand it down and spray clear on top if you want. as far as chassis painting i'd use primer sealer then cover it with rhino liner. buddy of mine did that with his car, looks pretty sweet but i'm biased to the flat black look. it hides imperfections well and blends in the surrounding car parts. pleasing to the eye and what not.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I would go here: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ and look around.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

SPI as recommended above.. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.. Top shelf products at very affordable prices. Customer service that cant be beat..

You can speak directly with the owner of the compny. he will assist you like no one else.. Ask painters who use the products and you will soon find why everyone raves about themm

go here http://www.spiuserforum.com/forum.php

You wont regret it!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I'd get your metalwork done with 80 grit and then epoxy prime it. Tehre's no need for the etching primer and then epoxy. I've used the Transtar 2K Kwik Prime on bare metal and it works really well, I have no experience with their epoxy. I have used the Southern Polyurethanes epoxy and believe it is the best I've sprayed. Their Universal Clear is hands down the best and easiest I've ever sprayed.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.