What type of steel should I use for this brake? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What type of steel should I use for this brake?

I aquired a Di-Acro bending brake model "Brake 2" from my late grandfather.
After several calls to Di-Acro to find replacement parts, they declared the model to old to even find literature or a manual. The brake is thought to be about 40 years old or better from them, and the company had changed hands a few times in its history, so this one is a bit lost to the archives, so to speak.

now for my problem. i am looking to replace the hold down bar on the brake, as the original bar has been a bit ruined due to bending metal that seams to be a bit to thick at times for the 12" brake.
I am wondering what type of steel i should replace it with, as i intend to have a machine shop mil the bar to match the original for replacement.
Any help is appreciated...Thanks, I can post pics if it will help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

What type of steel should I use for this brake?

i made use of a tractor loader bucket blade edge .there harden steel and bolt on .i did a little straight edge grinding to true it up from lot's of rock chips .
Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideQuality
I aquired a Di-Acro bending brake model "Brake 2" from my late grandfather.
After several calls to Di-Acro to find replacement parts, they declared the model to old to even find literature or a manual. The brake is thought to be about 40 years old or better from them, and the company had changed hands a few times in its history, so this one is a bit lost to the archives, so to speak.

now for my problem. i am looking to replace the hold down bar on the brake, as the original bar has been a bit ruined due to bending metal that seams to be a bit to thick at times for the 12" brake.
I am wondering what type of steel i should replace it with, as i intend to have a machine shop mil the bar to match the original for replacement.
Any help is appreciated...Thanks, I can post pics if it will help!
The best metal that I have found to bend or clamp other metal is the draw bar from a medium size farm tractor,it is ultra strong and I have never been able to bend it out of shape from what I had formed it into. The metal in the pic that is welded to the two 2" square tubing is the bending anvil is the drawbar . I had it machined to form a ram of sorts to fit into some angle stock to form 90* bends. You should be able to pick up a bar from a yard that scraps heavy equipment and tractors, or from a farmer that has junk or parted out tractors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0720.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	43786  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

1018 or some other low carbon, low alloy steel should do just fine. when you start getting into higher alloy or higher carbon content steels cost goes way up.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
1018 or some other low carbon, low alloy steel should do just fine. when you start getting into higher alloy or higher carbon content steels cost goes way up.
1018 is just cold rolled steel and will dent up pretty easily.

Do you have the ability to do any machining on it or would you have to shop out machining work?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

1018 will be less resiliant but when he says hold down bar I'm thinking it won't be doing any bending. just holding the metal down while the die does the bending. Some pictures may help to clarify.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

1018 is pretty soft and it will bend fairly easily, how big of a piece of metal do you need? You can always find 4140 flat bar, round bar and square on Ebay from 1/4" up to 3" in lengths up the weight limit for UPS shipping (there is a good market for that stuff for hobby machinists), these pieces are metal shop "droppings" and can be bought for a fraction of their normal cost, just go to Ebay and search "4140 bar". What will the piece you need be shaped like?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:59 PM

what kind of steel

4140 is the steel of choice for brake tooling , 4150 is even better if you can get it. Carpenter labs calls their 4140 /4150 , Brake Die . be sure to ask for prehard, it will RC 32-34 . the annealed Mat'l will not hold the square edge
under repeated use. If there is a Fab shop or steel supplier in your area
you could also ask for T-1 , it RCs about 24 and is what is used on earth
moving equipment.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pain
be sure to ask for prehard, it will RC 32-34 . the annealed Mat'l will not hold the square edge under repeated use. .

Exactly, That's a very important point I forgot to mention!

Prehard will also sometimes be found as HT (Heat Treated) and while heat treated can mean that it has been hardened as high as 50 RC (so hard it would be likely to chip) the HT after the 4140 will almost always mean the same as prehard in a sale listing.

Thanks for pointing that out because annealed 4140 would, as you point out, be too soft without heat treating the part after forming.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.