What type of wood? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What type of wood?

Hey Kats I am 25 year old greaser lookin at slappin some wood panels on the interoir of my rat. but i am not sure what type of wood i should be lookin for ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

Not sure if you have Lowes and/or Home Depot up there. I've used simple 1/4" plywood from either of those stores on past projects. I've found it to be of good quality and it also comes in various sizes, 2x4, 4x4, and 4x8. Cheap too!

Good Luck and ENJOY the drive!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:21 AM

do the depo have 1/8 of mahagany and any advice on what i should tak it on with?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Garage Filler

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayska
do the depo have 1/8 of mahagany and any advice on what i should tak it on with?
Couldn't tell ya. I'm not much of a wood expert. LOL.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Type of wood is really a personal decision, I would think - the type and/or species dependent on if you were planning on upholstering over top of it, or using the wood as the "upholstery", as well as your woodworking-related skill level(s).

If you're going to be upholstering over top of the wood, then I would look towards something like white oak for the solid supports (easy enough to work/nail into, and it's got good resistance to the elements). If there is/was plywood in there to start with, then what type I would go with depends on how it needs to be fit - large, semi-flat areas can be done with 1/2" (what was in my '36, and it gives good thickness for staples/nails), or layer up some 1/8" bendable plywood to make it 1/2" thick for highly curved areas.

If you're not going to be upholstering over the wood - then the ultimate species depends on your personal preference (choice is dependent on if you want a good-looking, higher priced one of a kind, or lower-cost workable-solution that could match old patina), and woodworking skill. Wood truly comes in almost every color of the rainbow (from Ivory-white Holly, through reddish/blood red Paduk or Bloodwood, to hot-pink Pink Ivory, or Concorde-grape Purpleheart, all the way to jet-black Gaboon Ebony), cost, and various levels of workability. In one of the rod magazines, for example, there was a sedan that had a very minimal interior "upholstered" with Macassar Ebony - one of the most beautiful interiors I've ever seen. Probably one of the most expensive, too - Macassar Ebony is nowhere close to being cheap.

As far as what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, pretty much none of what I've suggested can be found there (at least in my local ones). My Depot has got Soft Maple, Red Oak, Poplar, and Pine, but that's about it for domestic wood lumber. Plywood is limited to Maple or Birch (aside from the construction-grade stuff), in 1/4", 1/2", or 3/4". Lowe's has even less than that. Ya won't find anything like Mahogany in either of those places, unless it was veneered-over particle/MDF board, or came in a can of stain. Woodcraft or Rockler would be good options if you have those in your area, but you'd have to do some looking around to find something that will have anything like that.

Don't know if this helps, or not, but it might give ya something to think about.
- Mike (long-time hobbyist woodworker who would probably go for option #2)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The 1/8 panels are called door skin and come in at least mahogany oak and maple.. the depot or lowes usually have it as well as most lbr yards..Good stuff..Good luck I just get some nice screws and the fancy washers and screw it on to to the interior..that way I can get them down if I put in a stereo or some lighting of some sort...

Sam
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

Door skin is very difficult to get in many parts of the country - not sure why. In many places you will have to make do with 'Luan'.

How about trying some Chromoveil over regular ply.
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproduc...aveil-190.html
Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Well i may go for the pine or maple in 1/8 then stain and treat it with mahgony. should i put any instulation in between the metal and wood?

Well i love the idea of screws and washers amazing idea. i am keeping ture the rat ways. but doing everything at home with no facy tools and stuff using anything i can find around local shops. and around my house to fab it up. The door skins is nice maby 4 a trad rod.

thanx for the support any more???
Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

what type of wood?

Check out my panels in my album. I used luana from lowes,1/8 Works great!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

If it was me, I'd go for some mesquite or a real interesting grain -- assuming you're letting the wood show. And, in a rat rod, I'd distress the wood; beat it with some chains; put some small nail holes in it ... before sanding and/or staining it.

And if it fits the surface you're appling it to well enough, I'd just glue it with some high-temp adhesive.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Garage Filler

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw
How about trying some Chromoveil over regular ply.
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproduc...aveil-190.html
I'm like'n that fish one! Maybe get that for the kids, never have to feed fish or clean a tank!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

For the record, Luan is sometimes called Philippine Mahogany . Yes, they're the same species. I agree with Alan on going with a dark, distressed wood. And use a satin finish rather than a high gloss.

If you use oak (which is sold at Lowe's & Home Depot) you can get some pretty good antique finishes for very little investment. One antiquing trick is to take a handful of iron suppliment tablets (yes, from the vitamin aisle in the grocery store) and crush them up. Dissolve the powdered tablets in about a pint of denatured alcohol, then strain it into a plastic bucket. Using a natural bristle brush, paint this onto a scrap piece of oak and let it dry. It goes on like stain because it's very thin and runny. The iron in the tablets will react with the tanin in the oak, and turn the wood a dark gray. When it's dry, sand the whole piece with some 120 grit paper to remove just a bit of the stained surface, and let the grain show through. You're trying to remove most (not all) of the gray from the wood, but not the grain - if that makes sense. Blow the piece off with an air hose to get rid of sanding dust, then stain the wood with a dark wood stain (like Minwax Golden Oak, for example,) and finish it as usual. The result will be a piece of oak that looks about 75 years older than it really is. Try it on a piece of scrap to see what I mean. The result is similar to "fumed oak," but that method involves dangerous concentrations of ammonia that isn't available outside of industrial applications, and shouldn't even be mentioned, let alone tried by an amateur. I IS fatal if not done correctly.

If you distress the wood, do that before you do the above procedure, and you'll have a new piece that looks 100 years old.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.