what are the typicial symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what are the typicial symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer?

1991 olds with a 3800 vibrates at 38 to 44 and 50 to 62 mph

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

alot of times it'll sound like ur motor has a knock in it. if u look down at it & have someone turn the mtr over alot of times u can see the inner part of the balancer move b4 the outter part. if u can tell then get a mirror & look at it, IF it is bad u will see the rubber seperated in the center. some can be a PITA to get off & other will just about fall off. don't get a used one because this is an item that goes out alot on these cars, get a NEW one from the dealer(only place i could find one) not cheap either, i think we paid around $300 for ours a few years ago....joe
Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

I dont hear any knocking sounds......engine sounds fine..........but could this cause a vibration around 38 to 45 and 50 to 62?.......similiar to tires out of balance?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

oh yea and autozone has one in stock for 87 dollars
Old 08-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

and when they go bad, can you grab hold of the outside of the round metal part in front of the serp pulley and move it back and forth?......it does go back to original position when I let go but I wouldnt think I would be able to move it at all and I do see what lookes like a crack all the way around near the edge..........I also notice that when I do twist it back and forth, I see a bunch of radial cracks in the rubber
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet
oh yea and autozone has one in stock for 87 dollars
now that's hard to believe since no one carried them for my 92 buick just 2-3 yrs ago, but then again i wouldn't buy anything like that from Auto Zone. i kinda like to have a GM part on something like this, but then that just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumplet
and when they go bad, can you grab hold of the outside of the round metal part in front of the serp pulley and move it back and forth?......it does go back to original position when I let go but I wouldnt think I would be able to move it at all and I do see what lookes like a crack all the way around near the edge..........I also notice that when I do twist it back and forth, I see a bunch of radial cracks in the rubber
yep u can move them back & forth when they're broke & they shouldnt do that. i'd say u need a new one for sure...

as for the vibration around 38 to 45 and 50 to 62, mine didnt do that mine sounded like a rod knocking. but the noise was caused by the balancers inner & outter parts catching up w/each other...joe
Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

Hi. My question is, does it only vibrate when the car is moving? Or does the engine vibrate also when revving whilst stationary? If it's not vibrating with the car stationary then it's not the engine. Over here we use the Buick 3.8 v6. Sometimes the balance shafts have been found to be out of phase with the crankshaft causing real bad vibration problems. Rob
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

no the car doesnt vibrate stationary.........what it feels like is a constant shake, like a tire but I had them balanced..........if you gas it good and run up to 50 moderate acceleration, there is no shake........but when you stay at 40 you can tell something is trying to function......but cant decide if it wants to or not........the plug wires cured the stumble rev and backfire out the intake when stationary, although I still dont understand why the 2 4 and 6 wires still dont produce a smooth normal timing light flash like the front 3 wires do.......still has a tendancy to doube flash.........when at 40 if I gas it and take off the shake goes away till I start reaching 55 to 62....hell I could be chasing 2 problems at once...........I do know that today I was driving to the junkyard for a fan.........I could tell the engine was hesitating with little jerks at the 40 range.......wondering if this could be as simple as fuel flow...........regulator, or pump............not sure what the fuel pressure should look like driving it.......I just know that steady cruising at 40 produces light hesitation/jerks
Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

fumplet I replied in your other post these are bad for doing what you are describing especially the knocking noise, take the belt off and check it will be pretty obvious,with the belt on the tensioner can make it hard to spot as the balancer is also the crank pulley on these. the tensioner will pull on the pulley and fool you into thinking it has no play in it.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Well it may not fix your problem but....You do have a bad harmonic balancer and you need to replace it. If that outer ring turns loose from that rubber..it will usually destroy the radiator.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 PM

have you considered a bad torque convertor?
or problem with the convetor lock-up?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

thats right............if I disconnect the converter lockup and it goes away.............theres the prob..........will try that.....as far as a bad converter.........well...............guess I would need to buy a new one.......but not sure where or how much they cost
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 AM

harmonic balancer

hey. check drive shaft as well. on my car if you remove the drive shaft it has to go back in the same orientation(sp).
keith
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budynabuick
hey. check drive shaft as well. on my car if you remove the drive shaft it has to go back in the same orientation(sp).
keith

no driveshafts on a FWD car the use CV shafts...joe
Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Similar Vibrations

I have the exact same problem. Did the answer ever present itself as you investigated? Vibration tends to be worse in my car if the car hasn't been driven in a couple days. It presents itself only when the car is in motion. Typically in the 50-55 mph range. Less is fine, faster, it smooths a bit. Tires have been balanced. I have thought about a wheel bearing, harmonic balancer, and goodness knows what else. It would be nice to determine the cause. The car is perfect other than that one irritation!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.