Hot Rod Forum banner

what to upgrade on a 5.7

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  syclone 
#1 ·
Great forum guys.

I am in the process of swapping a 4 bolt main SBC 5.7 TBI into my jeep. The casting number on the block is 10243880, don't know if it means anything.

Since i really don't know anything about Chevy's, don't know if i should upgrade anything to squeeze some more performance out of it

For example, i damaged the tBI unit pulling the engine out of the donor van. Should i replace it with a upgraded unit or just a stock one. i am not looking for all out H.P., i am more concerned with low end torque and dependability. The engine is a low mile long block that was put in the donor van around 2002.

It is completely stock and will be running ram horn manifolds to 2 1/4" pipes to then to a 2 1/2" single exhaust.

#2 ·
It might make life easier on you to run a carb and vacuum advance distributor. I'm not overly familiar with the injection setup on the engine you have. If you want to keep the EFI you'll need a higher pressure fuel pump, return lines to the tank, all of the electronics from the donor vehicle, etc.

#4 ·
Kevin Varnes said:
It might make life easier on you to run a carb and vacuum advance distributor. I'm not overly familiar with the injection setup on the engine you have. If you want to keep the EFI you'll need a higher pressure fuel pump, return lines to the tank, all of the electronics from the donor vehicle, etc.
The main reason for the swap is the TBI, FI is is almost a necessity off road, there are times when my vehicle is almost vertical, the carbs don't cut it then. I am well aware of what needs to be changes to get the SBC in the jeep, its almost done and about as easy a swap as you could do. but is there anything that i would want to up grade to sneak a bit more performance out of it. i have to replace the TBI unit, should i stay with the stock unit or upgrade it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.