Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   What to use for welding protection / blanket (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-use-welding-protection-blanket-186411.html)

Ripped 10-22-2010 11:27 AM

What to use for welding protection / blanket

I checked at my local supplier, wher I get my tanks filled. They only have cheapo welding blankets.

I was thinking of (and will be) making a couple small sheets of thin plywood skinned with sheet metal, which I can use on floor areas, underneath.

Problem I see with that, is the sparks and blobs may still bounce off the sheet metal, and go elsewhere.

Any suggestions appreciated

alittle1 10-22-2010 12:56 PM

I think that was one of the reasons why you should use blankets, the sparks and tracers will stop because friction across the surface of the blanket and the ridges of the blanket. Have you looked at the one's PraxAir sells?

evolvo 10-22-2010 02:10 PM

If I need to protect something when I'm welding (mig) I throw some corrugated cardboard over it and/or on the ground. Clean corrugated boxes are a perfect source. They don't catch fire, sparks leave little burn marks.

OneMoreTime 10-22-2010 03:41 PM

Thosel cheapo blankets work fine and they are cheap so when they get all nasty and worn it is no big loss to toss em and get new ones..

Sam

carl_martha37 10-26-2010 05:08 PM

welding

I just find that old blankets work good. You do want to make sure that there is no oil or gasoline on the blankets. You also want to make sure that they are think enough. Other than that, you should be fine.

LATECH 10-26-2010 06:32 PM

Go to the carpet store and get some carpet samples to use. They are pretty fireproof as todays saftey standards for building materials are pretty good, I have used them for welding and they do OK. And they are free :thumbup:

V8 Super Beetle 10-27-2010 10:05 AM

I like to use damp cardboard or a damp old towel.

bondo 10-31-2010 08:19 AM

Ayuh,... I use either a canvas tarp, or for smaller jobs, an old leather jacket...

MARTINSR 11-04-2010 08:04 AM

The welding blankets are pretty nice to have. I have a few smaller ones that I got somewhere (marketed for something outside of welding, can't remember what). They are so slick no tape would stick to them, some super nylon or something. Anyway I would hold them in place with magnets. But the last one I got is from a welding supply and it is really nice to have. It is comforting to know I can toss it over my car if I am welding near by and it won't scratch the paint but protect it from flying sparks.

I burnt up a seat on an almost new Honda years ago while using something I shouldn't have and I learned my lesson.

Even with the welding blanket you don't want to it to have any big wrinkles that a spark from the MIG can get caught in. Those little red hot ball will even burn thru the welding blanket! It won't start on fire, but it will burn into or thru the darn blanket. So keeping the piece straight and flat so these balls can roll off is my best advice.

And of course the better your welds are,the cleaner the metal for example, the less sparks you will have.

Brian