what is the value of my 52' 2 dr belaire deluxe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what is the value of my 52' 2 dr belaire deluxe

Hey everyone! I hope all your projects are going well. My question is how much my 52 is worth as it sits. The body is 85% straight- the worst being the drivers rear top fender is crunched at the end a little bit and will need to be cut away and new metal tacked in and bondoed, everything else in the way of dents are minor, with maybe a 2 inch long spot with through rust about the size of peas at the front of the rear fender-wells and below the trunk- no other through rust. The original glass is intact with the 2 front, 2 wing and 2 side glass cracked- the 2 rear roll down and rear wrap around glass is undamaged. There are a few minor dents in the trim- most in pretty good shape. The bumpers are undamaged but need re-chromed. Both original headlights and tail lights are undamaged as well. The engine is seized and interior is toast. The dash, steering wheel and gage's are in great shape also. So my question is if anyone has an idea what the car is worth ( I'm in Nebraska) , first of all as it sits( all of the surface rust has been removed and is bare metal now with the top and the hood and two front fenders primered). Second of all- it's worth,just primered-third- it's worth, painted-fourth with a v-8 in it and lastly if I have the interior redone. My plan is to sell it or trade it for a Harley Davidson. I'm just not sure how much i want to put into this project due to various reasons, namely money, knowledge, time, experience and availability of parts (and the money for them) mechanical experience etc..So I'm wondering how much work I have to put into this before I have enough to acquire my goal. And whats the best way to get the exposure out there where it needs to be to sell, without costing me an arm and a leg.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if it were me, I'd put as little in it as possible, or put it on Ebay with the reserve set for what you paid. a car like this is not worth much, maby 5-10k for a driver, but you could have more than that into it to get it that way, to make it that nice driver. get it running, get it safe to drive ( re do brakes, ect... ) and do a little bodywork to the major stuff, paint it flat black and sell it for 5k or so.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 PM

whats my 52' worth?

Hey Matt, thanks for the prompt reply! Couple questions... dont know anything about e-bay- whats a reserve? I didnt pay anything for the car. It sat in my grandpa's back yard since 1966, it belonged to my dad and he gave it to me. From my understanding depending on where you live( for example on the west coast where my dad lives he can get alot more for it than here in the midwest where they are more prevailant)so I'm wondering if your basing your idea on your locale?? And the car is pretty old- why arent they "worth much"? I'm thinking that I at least would like to primer and paint it. I was told as it sat (covered in surface rust where it sat since 66') that it was worth at least 3k- sound right or not? with a paint job, how much ya think? I'm not trying to quote or nail ya down in any way - just wondering.Thanks in advance for your help- have you had one of these before?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 PM

a reserve is the price that you are will to sell the car for or the least amount. If the car is in your family why dont you keep it?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The car may very well book for 3k or better in a condition that it needs restored. But unfortunatly the '49-'54's arn't worth as much as the '55-'57's that eat up this market, and getting sombody to pay the 3k will be hard. I have a '51 Chevy Fleetline 4dr, I paid $800 for it and it was/ is solid, owner had it running altho not running when I bought it ( fuel pump and a condensor got it running in short time after purchase ), brakes were rebuilt and replumbed, along with rebuilt M/C, and the floor was fixed. it was safe enough to drive, and I did take it for a couple short spins around the block and my lawn. Not to mention it's a rare car, 235/ PG auto, not many Fleetline's came with the 235/ PG, and most of them were 2dr's that did

is your car a Hard Top? with no door post's or window frames? if so, I'v seen them go around $700 $1,500 for good buildable cars

as for basing the price around my locale, I don't. I base prices around Ebay as by watching auctions, you will learn a car's value to the public quickly. The bottom line is, most people with a lot of money to buy car's are after ither '32 Fords or '55-'57 Chevy's
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My opinion - As it sits with primer and rust holes, with a seized engine, no interior And chrome that needs redoing you may get $500 for it. These are not the most desirable cars out there. A restorer will want a car in better shape with an engine that is not seized. That leaves custom builders and rodders. What you have to them is a body that needs work and a chassis that needs redoing and an engine/drive train that needs to be replaced. If you do anything to it you may get the money back for the materials you put into it but I doubt if you will get any money for your labor. Just to give you an example one of the members here - Deuce - just bought a 1932 Ford tudor for less than $6,000. The body is great and the engine is not seized. This is one of the more desirable cars out there. Check out what it looks like here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...18&action=view
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Just exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

I gave almost 5k for my 59.
My wife---"5 grand for a 45 yr old car, and you don't even know if it runs???!!!"

I frankly did not care----had been looking for a good one for about 7 yrs.
She would have been hard pressed to give $100 for it then,
But, I drove it home (ran great).

She's coming around a bit---Last year, she bought the 454 HO rolller cam crate engine for me

She loves me----have no idea why

Bryan
Old 09-29-2006, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

A car (and about any thing else) is worth what you are willing to take and what a potential buyer is willing to pay. From what you have stated, I go with what Hombrew said. This sounds like a $500-1200 car. For me personally, if there is one rust hole showing on a52 Chevy, I would not even tow it home unless there were some good parts to use on another car I am building, or I know there is a good market for the good parts at the big flea markets.

Trees
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I also say sell the car like it is and use all the money you would dump into it plus the cost of the labor and go buy the bike. There is a lot more to it than just an engine, paint job and some interior, besides then you have to find someone who wants to dump a bunch of money for a car that is what you like.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I bought a 53 Chevy a couple of years ago..

Had a Fresh never fired 350sbc..30over and 350 trans with a shift kit, B&M ratchet shifter, line lock, fresh white over dark blue paint. Needed finished..paid $2500 for it, cost another $2500 to finishing it. Installed disc brakes up front, added duel disc master cylinder and installed new disc spindals and a Posi Ford 9" with disc brakes. Installed the floors out back and tubs and bought Big-33"X19"X15" and Littles-215X15" on Chevy ralleys for the project. Sold it for $10K in a deal for a 04 Springer soft tail for my wife.

Tazz

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.