What welder should I use?a - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 01:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What welder should I use?a

I am restoring a 71 chevelle and I have been welding in some replacement pannels with a non gas shielded mig maching using .35 flux cored welding wire. I recently talked to a body guy and after telling him the type of welder I am using, his words were " my god man". So I guess i'm not a ****y welder after all and it's the machine I am using, my welds are terrible and I am getting distortion from heat. Is using this type of welder really that much of a problem? and If I buy a gas shielded machine will it be better? what type of machine should I buy?? thanks a lot, -Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

well a flux wire is what I use, also .35. don't weld beads, weld spots, but jump around 3-4" apart to keep heat down. of course a true MIG would be best what u have is used by many.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

You need a MIG welder (flux core is not MIG, M-etal I-nert G-as) with .023 solid wire and C25 shielding gas, Argon/CO2 mix. There is simply a world of difference in the way this will weld compared to the flux core and you will find that it is much easier to weld without burn through plus you will have far less warpage and spatter. An even better choice for wire would be the JW Harris Twenty Gauge brand wire in .030, even though it is slightly larger than the .023 solid it is a cored wire that uses less current and is absolutely fantastic for light sheet metal. This is a MIG wire and as such will require shielding gas, same as the solid, but you need to switch to the gas anyway.

www.jwharris.com/images/twentygauge.pdf
Old 07-04-2006, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Is there a gas kit available for your welder? On a lot of cheap ones it was "optional" and could be added later. I agree with oldred... you need gas.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
You need a MIG welder (flux core is not MIG, M-etal I-nert G-as) with .023 solid wire and C25 shielding gas, Argon/CO2 mix. There is simply a world of difference in the way this will weld compared to the flux core and you will find that it is much easier to weld without burn through plus you will have far less warpage and spatter. An even better choice for wire would be the JW Harris Twenty Gauge brand wire in .030, even though it is slightly larger than the .023 solid it is a cored wire that uses less current and is absolutely fantastic for light sheet metal. This is a MIG wire and as such will require shielding gas, same as the solid, but you need to switch to the gas anyway.

www.jwharris.com/images/twentygauge.pdf
I think he's getting mixed up, some brands, like HF's Central welding systems, uses the MIG name for there flux wire welders. Mig 100 is HF's flux core 90a 110 model, the 1 that I have. I was trying to weld up a small rot hole that I drilled out with a slightly larger than the, hole size bit, just ended up burning it up, I can do ok on top of sheet metal, but not for filling yet. if yere interested on what I'm working on, check out my site, I just updated it www.angelfire.com/ak6/matt1951
Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

you need to upgrade your machine to gas for true mig welding the difference is incredible
Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Twenty Gauge can be found online here, cheap too!

search on Twenty Gauge, not 20 gauge

http://stores.ebay.com/Quimby-Welding-Supplies

Last edited by oldred; 07-04-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:38 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
I think he's getting mixed up, some brands, like HF's Central welding systems, uses the MIG name for there flux wire welders. Mig 100 is HF's flux core 90a 110 model, the 1 that I have. I was trying to weld up a small rot hole that I drilled out with a slightly larger than the, hole size bit, just ended up burning it up, I can do ok on top of sheet metal, but not for filling yet. if yere interested on what I'm working on, check out my site, I just updated it www.angelfire.com/ak6/matt1951
A good trick on those rust pinholes is to put a piece of copper sheeting in behind while welding. The welds won't stick to the copper and the weld won't burn through and fall inside.

Yes - you need gas shielding to really use a mig welder correctly.

.23 wire is the best for sheet metal. .30 for 1/16" or thicker
Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

In the case of the twenty Gauge the .030 is the better choice since it will weld even thinner stock than .023 solid due to it's powdered core. It takes less current than the smaller solid wire thus it will have less heat induced warpage and will be far less likely to burn through. This is really not new technology since cored MIG wires have been around for years, what is new here is the technology to produce these wire types in a size this small. This wire truly is far Superior to solid for welding something as thin as body panels and for the less experienced welder it will make learning much easier.

Matt, This has come up several times before and is a good example of the confusion caused by improperly referring to a flux core welder as a MIG. The MIG welding process requires shielding gas and flux core only machines are not MIG welders.

Last edited by oldred; 07-04-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:19 AM

Last photo:

oldred is right on the JW Harris twenty gauge wire, works better than anything else I've tried . Makes my Century 100 welder act like it's much more than it is .

Take Care
Earl

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.