What Will Interchange? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Will Interchange?

Hi everyone,
Well with the engine going back together soon I am a little worried about the rear end. The engine should be pushing out over 400HP and even more TQ but I have a 8.2 rear end stock in the Chevelle. So I thought about getting a posi unit and diffrent gears but I almost think this would be a waste because of the weak nature and future plans for car/engine.

My question is what would interchange into the Chevelle as far as the 8.5 10 bolt and 12 bolt rears go. I want to start looking around for one but im not really sure where to start and since it is kinda hard to find a Chevelle rear end around here I wanted to see what my other options are. Thanks alot everyone!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

rear end

You might consider looking for a 9 inch Ford rear from a Torino or Montego of the mid 70's . Measure your rear end from outside to outside. Then locate a 9 inch of the same or near same dimensions. The 70 Torino 9 inch was about 60 1/2 inchs wide. Hope that gives you a starting place. One advantage to the 9 inch is that there are a kazillion gear ratios available for them, and prices are pretty reasonable compared to a lot of other differentials.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

A used Chevelle (or any other A-body) 12-bolt in used and not rebuilt condition will cost you a good chunk of money, getting one from someone else with the things you want or need with everything done right will cost a whole lot more.

You might be better off looking at a company like Currie, Superior, or Moser- and see what they offer in a 12-bolt for the price.

With them, you can get the axle done the way you want and need, and get some sort of guarantee as to the work done and the durability of the unit, and it will be a simple bolt-in.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

I don't want to start a brand war with Max, but I have to say that I think a 9" in your car is a bad idea. If you shop carefully, I'm sure you can find a 12 bolt that will be a virtual bolt-in.

If you are planning on swapping gear sets 4 times a weekend, then by all means get the 9", if not keep your GM car GM, and get a 12 bolt with the right gears for what you want out of it.

I don't buy in to the myth that the 9" is such a strong player. I've seen plenty of broken axles, and sheared pinions on them, too.

I heard, but never seen the case of losing an axle to a broken c-clip. I HAVE seen many Ferds that pooped out an axle, when a wheel bearing gave out.

Either of these problems can be countered by having safety hubs installed, but then you are running more bux into your project.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally posted by packratwrecker
I heard, but never seen the case of losing an axle to a broken c-clip. I HAVE seen many Ferds that pooped out an axle, when a wheel bearing gave out.
My ex-brother-in-law lost an axleshaft from his 1982 Bronco when the driver side bearing gave out.

I attribute that whole episode to operator negligence.
He still fails to do ANY preventative maintenance on anything he owns, only fix it for the lowest amount when it finally breaks.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
He still fails to do ANY preventative maintenance on anything he owns, only fix it for the lowest amount when it finally breaks.
This is what im trying to avoid lol. I mean it may never happen but with what I have now the chance of something blowing up increases.
+ the fact that I want to put a limited slip posi in for better traction but hardly find it worth the money to put it in the 8.2 rear.

I looked at the 9" and I like them in fact alot of the companies you mentioned make direct bolt ins for my car. If I got a 9" Im pretty sure I would have to buy a new one cause they seem to be hard to find in good shape.

I guess I was just wondering if there was diffrent bolt in rear say out of other chevy cars that either had the 8.5 or 12 bolt rears in them that I could use.

Even at the huge junk yards here things get gobbled up and the best ones are an hour away.

Thanks so far!

Chris
Old 12-08-2004, 01:27 AM

Last photo:

What year is yours?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
What year is yours?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
One of these days...soon

Last photo:

68-72 Chevelle, Lemans (gto), Skylark and 70-72 cutlass.

Be careful if looking at the cutlass 12 bolt rearend, most of them have the 8.5 inch 10 bolt gears in them.

The Buick 10 bolts have 8.5 inch gears and I have heard can take a lot of abuse.

I am no expert, but hopefully this info will help you out.

Do a search in this forum use 406chevelle to see the grief I went through to find a rearend for my 72 chevelle.

406chevelle
Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Thanks alot 406. It does help me out alot. I know the 8.5's are really strong and I would settle for one if I could find it. The 12 and 9" would be great but it is hard to find anything that isn't asking an arm and a leg. I will look around for those diffrent rears and hopefully I can get something that will hold together for me.

thanks alot

Chris

Ps. I will read your post too

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.