What would be the best heads to run with this set up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What would be the best heads to run with this set up?

I found this site while do some research on Sportsman 2 headers, I'm running stock heads with a Erson Cam duradv 280/280 Dur @.050" 214/214 valve lift .443/.443. Lobe sep. 110 valve spring E915005. Has anyone ever ran this type of cam? Because, I was wondering what type of heads I should run? Should I run the Vortec heads or does anyone have a better suggestion for this size cam. It is a 355 flat top pistons and crank has been turned 10/10 and running a Cloyes true double roller timing chain. So, question is: What would be the best heads to run with this set up without costing a fortune? Just throwing something off the top of my head; maybe a set of camel hump heads, port them and put everything new in them, if I can find a set. Any ideas would greatly appreciated. Obviously this is my first S10 build. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

With Flat top Pistons the Camel Hump's & Vortec's 64cc chambers may give you too much compression for pump gas with that Cam.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Assuming a piston with 1.560" compression height and a virgin, uncut block, the piston will be down in the bore by about 0.025" when the piston is at TDC. If we figure 727cc's in the cylinder, an actual 66cc's in the chamber of a "64" cc head, (assuming the head has never been decked since new), 8cc's in the head gasket (0.040" compressed), 5cc's in the piston deck height and 5cc's in the piston crown, we might possible have a 9.65:1 static compression ratio. If that's the case, the cam would just barely slide by and work. What I'd be worried about though, is the lack of squish with the piston down in the bore at TDC. I suspect the motor would run o.k. on premium pump fuel though.

Keep in mind that the heads you are considering will be behind in the technology race by several decades, so they probably won't flow as good as the worst heads available in the aftermarket today. That, and the fact that you may have to spend more money on them than you think at this point. You will want to have them magnafluxed for cracks before you begin any work on them. And remember, we only have unleaded fuel today, so they will have to be machined for hard seats. Then the guides may be a little sloppy, so you'll need to replace them. The valve stems may be worn past spec, so they will have to be replaced. Then, you will want to mill the stud pads and tap for screw-in studs and guide plates. And on and on and on. You can see where I'm going with this. Pretty soon you've got over 800 bucks tied up in a set of junk technology heads and you could have had a set with today's technology for the same money.

I might be thinking getting a set of heads with 68 or 72 cc chambers. That would work out better with the pistons and cam you have now. Finish off the combination with a RPM or Stealth intake manifold and 1 5/8" long tube headers.
Here's a set of 70cc Edelbrock E-Street aluminum heads ready to bolt on for 900 bucks. The 185cc intake runners would be just about right for a 355 small block.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5073/

Last edited by techinspector1; 09-08-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.