Hot Rod Forum banner

What would cause Low Oil Pressure?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
My Bro-in-law has 180,000 on his 2000 Yukon XL with a 5.7L V8 and he got his oil changed 3 weeks ago and now has noticed that his oil pressure has dropped? Any suggestions as to what would cause this? Thanks! :cool:

#6 ·
Resolution

Hey Guys,

Just FYI: Bro-in-Law got up early Saturday a.m. and got the oil changed by Jiffy Lube and wah-la! Low Oil Pressure SOLVED! I told him to take his first garage receipt and go BACK to the rip off shop and ask for a refund as there was obviously something wrong with either the filter OR the oil. After the oil change, his oil pressure returned to normal! Too cool, eh?! Thanks for all the advice fellas! "I" look like a "really smart guy" because of the advice I found on this board!!

:cool:

#8 ·
I`ve heard more than 1 nightmare about oil change shops. We had just installed a mildly modded new 351M in a friends ford pickup, he goes and has the oil changed at a lube joint, he gets in and makes it right out of the parking lot when the engine locks up, he looks behind him and see`s the oil and the drain plug on the ground. Another case a girl I know has it done in her firebird and the same thing happened. They must love it when a employee does a 30 dollar oil change and costs the company several thousand to replace the engine. I`ve heard they don`t use new oil in some of these shops, they filter out old oil and pour it in. The last nightmare I heard was when a friend of mine took his firebird to have it`s oil changed, when they removed the oil filter they didn`t notice the seal stuck to the block, they installed the new filter with the seal already on it. They didn`t check it for leaks there after, he was riding down the road 2 days later and the oil light comes on. By the time he got it shut off the damage was done. The car lost 15 lbs of oil pressure and everytime he started it there after you could hear the crank rattling in the main bearings until the oil pressure built up. He got maybe 10,000 more miles out of it before he had to have a crank kit installed. I also noticed by observation at those shops on a small block chevy or 4.3 V6 they don`t prefill the oil filter, they let the oil pump fill it which starves the bearings for oil for about 6 seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.