What would be good to rust proof the inside of new panels. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What would be good to rust proof the inside of new panels.

Fellas
I just picked up a new set of panels for my Aero. They are not primed or painted as some panels come. I would just like to know, what most people are using now. I would like to rust proof the inside, before I weld them on. Also, I have some rust that I would like to prep. Yes I wil cut out all the crap metal. But would like to prep, the old stuff, the parts and paint shop, does have their brand own of panel prep. I would just like to get a few other suggestions.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

What panels are you talking about? quarter panels? rocker panels? Aerostar Van? These are raw steel?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
The Painter That Knows All !

Last photo:

Thomsons Water seal works Great if you put water on the bare metal first then put the sealer on after that water !!!!!!!!!!

I cant do that to you but i felt i need to make a smart *** paint sugestion that this forum is use to seeing !!! not shur what a aero panel is im sorry there a few to use not shur on application and situation your talking about a picture of panel helps but lets say it was a bare metal door skin no ecoat if inside your door you wanted it painted and buffed then go that route if you just didnt want it bare after you could use a direct to metal primer with a roller that wont go bad on you and leave it like that if its hidden and roll the panel edge flange over onto door frame ! dtm primer is great for that ! there is also a wax that is sprayed in there on some applications such as wheel wells and frame rails that is from 3m . but you should use a metal etching coating ! metal prep is just a etch cleaner in some cases not a coating !! if i knew more about your project i can give you MY choice of product ! AS I KNOW HOW ID PROTECT IT !!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

I am not sure what exactly you are doing either, but I was taught on bare metal to metal condition it, with either metal prep or self etching primer and then epoxy prime. At least thats what I car procedures were. I sometimes skip the metal prep myself if the metal is clean and I am going to be sanding it. When we got new panels in at shops that I worked, they usually came with some black primer on them, I don't think its ecoat. We always just shot undercoating on the inside of the panel and sanded the outside and put a few coats of good urethane 2k primer on the outside of them. Not sure if anything would be better to use inside them besides undercoating, but if it is truely bare steel, you are probably going to want to at least epoxy prime all the bare metal. Epoxy primer seals from water more then a urethane primer does.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Sorry Fellas
I should have been more clear. The new panels I bought, are for a Aerostar Van. I have used things like Prep coat, but I cannot find it any more. The panels are unpainted body panels, Cross Canada here does not sell prepped panels anymore. I was thinking of POR15, but I cannot even find that ether.
I have restored a 2 Mustangs complete and a few other cars. My father and Father in law used old 50s stuff (Prep coat) years ago. But have I have been out of it for a few years. So I'm not new at this. I am just trying to find new stuff to use before I weld them on. As I said they are bare metal, and would like to at least do the damn rockers.
The paint shop has their own brand of prep but at 60$ a gal. The old stuff I used was 10$ in Ontario, Canada. And it worked great, but out here in Newbrunwick, their 10yrs backwards. If anyone has any ideas.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

sand with 80 grit then prime with epoxy, remove the epoxy from the weld areas and apply a weld through primer there, after they are installed spray down the inside of the panel with 3M's Rustfighter cavity wax.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.