What Would Make a Good Drag Car - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwood
If your only going to run in the 11s and 12s, why even waste your time.You will soon get bored at no more speed than your talking about, and to me it would be a waste of money. If you have never drag raced before and are just going to bracket race on weekends, then i guess this would be ok. We used to run in the 11s years ago, and we got real bored fast.

yea right are you kidding me? These are highschool kids, a 14-13 second ride would probably put a big smile on their face.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

good drag car

Was not trying to be mean about this you all, was just trying to say that no more speed thats involved in running in the 11s and 12s that they might be bored running this slow. As far as OddRodder he can call me what ever he wants, as name calling does not bother me. If you guys are happy building your car and have fun doing it then go for it. My post was not meant to cut you down.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

well thanks everybody, i told him what y'all said and he wanted me to ask what kind of money would it take to get a foxbody with out an engine and drop a 460 in it, i was wondering what kind of rear and tranny you need to support all of that torque. he thought the stock rear, and tranny would be alright (he wants a 5 speed) but i know they will blow apart real quick.

and yeah we are in high school anything more than like 11s is gona get us killed & we know it, he also wants the car to be reliable enough to be a daily driver or at least a semi daily driver

ps: the 13-14 sec ride isn't fast enough there's plenty of kids with those at my school (we've even got one kid running 9's in a grand national and about 5 10 sec cars)

i've also been drag racing for a while, my fastest time is a 9.45 in my buddies 69 camaro with a stroked 396 (as well as many other mods but it's naturally aspirated)

Last edited by 66 T-Bird; 10-03-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 T-Bird
and yeah we are in high school anything more than like 11s is gona get us killed & we know it, he also wants the car to be reliable enough to be a daily driver or at least a semi daily driver

ps: the 13-14 sec ride isn't fast enough there's plenty of kids with those at my school (we've even got one kid running 9's in a grand national and about 5 10 sec cars)

i've also been drag racing for a while, my fastest time is a 9.45 in my buddies 69 camaro with a stroked 396 (as well as many other mods but it's naturally aspirated)
I take it you are talking 1/8 mile........................if you are saying these are 1/4 mile times, I am going to have to say ...."BS"

Budget RVs
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Foxbody prices are all over the place. They are set more by area than anything. The 8.8 will take lots of abuse, but the cost of a 460 and weight? Well not for me. A t5 will take a bb for a little while like maybe the end of the street, if it's a track car go with a slushbox. A stripped rolling chassis well it might appear great at first by the time you pick up all the assorted BS you'll prolly be in further than buying a decent looking decent runner. BTW I was at NMRA in BG this weekend You can build some major power NA with a SBF.
Also if it is going to be more a weekend/strip toy go ahead and cage it yeah you won't be able to pick as many "street" races but you shouldn't do that anyways. You be thankful later on.
On Chevy's around here you can get into a 3rd gen fbody as cheap as a 2nd and cheaper than the a's or g's. The weak link is the rearend on the 3rd's though. SBC are cheap to build too.
Mopar's well around here they are 1 of 2 extremes either a joe dirt wannabe rusted out hulk with no power or a BAD to the bone street machine. Not sure why but that's how it is.

Now if it was me and my money heck he can pick up a build car for the price he is looking to spend, of course you might also want to budget for a tow vehicle and trailer, safety equipment (CAGE, helmet, fire suit), and TIRES.
Oh and I'm perfectly happy running 12's in my street car.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Thats the way I see it too Poncho!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Yeah, I got me a 9 second car (in the 1/8th). I have run a best of 15.12. That felt good... but not enough. It really is hard to have a purpose built car and build it for the street too. I have to reverse engineer a little bit. I want about 3.38 ish gears and an 1800 stall and that will put me no higher than 5800 rpm in second gear by the finish line (at least according to the calculations I have been doing). I figure low 14's would not be a problem. But I am going to try to drive it a bit, which keeps me from 3.73's and that 1800+ stall. Also, if you drive your weekend warrior, you have to worry about heat. tranny, oil, and cooling system. The little stuff can really add up after awhile. Then you fight with getting the power to the ground, and so on...

Although one thing I have realized as of late, a larger cooling system really is not a bad thing, then you can take the inconsistencies run to run and not have a problem. For example, you are in the burnout box a little longer than normal, don't worry you have all the extra water to warm up before you begin to have a problem. Make sense?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 AM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

yeah it does make sense to me, i think i'll tell him to buy a pre built car that runs in the 11s and has the stock interior they are cheap around my area because we live like in the middle of a farm place and they have mustangs and stuff in the barns they want to get rid of, and nobody wants them because they think they are too good to drive a muscle car becaue they think they are low class. hah what idiots i'd take speed over luxary any day. and yeah kids do have cars that fast. i go to salesianum in de. a whole whole lot of rich people go there and have money to drop into their cars. i've also seen the time slips (keep in mind these are not daily drivers)
Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Still didn't answer............1/4 or 1/8 mile track?

Budget RVs
Old 10-04-2005, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I watched the guys on hot rod TV Build a chevette with a 500 cid Caddy eng. I forget what rear end was used but I recall it was cheap and not to difficult.
Yeah, the car actually sold on ebay about a year and a half ago for little or nothing, less than 2 grand! And that was with 2 sets of rims and tires, and no firewall of course.

As for the 11 second car, buy a chevette, drop in a mild 350 and you should be good to go.

I wish I had 10 grand in high school to spend on my car, heck, I wish I had 10 grand to spend right now on my car... being a poor college student sucks..

Ryan
Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Man, with 10 grand what could I build? Something a whole lot faster than that, I'll tell you that... I don't doubt that there are kids out there with cars that quick, but how many built them themselves? How many have enough blood in their car to practically be kin? I would love to see them in action whether they can drive it like that all the time or just got a lucky pass once.

Although, I am starting to think about an altered G-body...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:24 AM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

it's in 1/4 mile and some of them built them themselves the grand national the kid's grandmother died when he was 10 and left the car to him so he was workin on it since he was ten and he is 18 now, we have a 60 sumthin nova with a 454 and a 4link hooked to a 9in rear the kid bought it with the 454 and put the rest in his car runs 10.4, and i think he's pumpin juice into it. there are 17 f-bodies in the parking lot with about 3 of them in the 10s all bought that way. (they are only in the parking lot sometimes because they are not daily driver cars), we're thinking about starting a racing club, one day a week we get out early to do something in a after school club. so i was thinking about making a drag racing or a car club. it's funny the kid with the grand national will come into school pissed cause he broke his rear about every other month, he refuses to pay money to get a rear that will hold up to the power he has so he keeps rebuilding the stock one (it's kinda stupid cause he has enough money in the stock rear to buy like 2 beefed up 9inchers)
Old 10-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 T-Bird
it's in 1/4 mile and some of them built them themselves the grand national the kid's grandmother died when he was 10 and left the car to him so he was workin on it since he was ten and he is 18 now, we have a 60 sumthin nova with a 454 and a 4link hooked to a 9in rear the kid bought it with the 454 and put the rest in his car runs 10.4, and i think he's pumpin juice into it. there are 17 f-bodies in the parking lot with about 3 of them in the 10s all bought that way. (they are only in the parking lot sometimes because they are not daily driver cars), we're thinking about starting a racing club, one day a week we get out early to do something in a after school club. so i was thinking about making a drag racing or a car club. it's funny the kid with the grand national will come into school pissed cause he broke his rear about every other month, he refuses to pay money to get a rear that will hold up to the power he has so he keeps rebuilding the stock one (it's kinda stupid cause he has enough money in the stock rear to buy like 2 beefed up 9inchers)
Sorry, but unless you supply some proof, like time slips, pictures, location of track etc.............I have to say......BS

Don't waste our time with this...........................

If you want to know what car to build up , fine but, lay off the stories.

Budget RVs
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Poncho, you jealous or something? Kids have more money now than they used to, especially when dad's with a bit of cash to throw around get in on the act too. Even if he IS exagerrating a little, it's not hurting anything. F-bodies that are street legal but not driven much running 10's is believable. I wouldn't want to drive it much either, not if it's an N/A car! Cams must be real "lopey". The kid isn't completely talkiing out of his *****... he obviously has some clue as to what's going on, at the "knows enough to be dangerous" level, but also knows enough to ASK more experienced people, and enough that the conversation is intelligent; you can expect him to have a good grasp on at least general racing/performance concepts. That's more than I can say for a lot of kids, like this one's friend who keeps pouring money in something he KNOWS is gonna break!!

I wish I had the money some of these kids seem to have now! I still wouldn't be able to put it in a car. One of these days they'll get out on their own and wonder how mom and dad managed to keep up their level of living and have money for play cars too!!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
brains

Last photo:

If your on a budget get something light weight like I did of course I went over powered too, but it would still be fast with a stock V8

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.