What Would Make a Good Drag Car - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
Poncho, you jealous or something? !

I will just wait for some proof, thank you very much....................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................still waiting.

Advertisement

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When I graduated HS My dad gave me $1200 which I spent on a 400sbc from my best friends truck {real nice, 2.02 heads, forged dish pistons, roller rockers}. I worked at the Ford dealer and cashed my checks at the parts store... for three months straight. I ended up with a 4-speed Monza, inline shifter, blowered 400 sbc that would spin wrinkle wall 10" slicks into third gear. Kids can do it too.

$10,000 now? 87 T-type/GN/ Regal body with a bullet proof 454 {eagle crank & rods, arp bolts and a good set of forged pistons}. a 550" solid cam with 112 lobe sep huffing thru a set of ported peanut port heads {may need domes to get the compression up there} and about 350 hp worth of juice. a 3500 converter and 3.42 gears. Drive able and still yet bad to the bone. You'll have enough change to spare.
If you know the right people or are able to do the labor yourself you can squeeze {pun intended } a 177 blower on it {use dish or flat-top pistons depending on heads} and keep the 350 Hp NOS kit.
It'll look killer and run 10's..all the time letting you drive just about anywhere your heart desires on pump gas.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:58 PM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

i can't give you any proof about this cause i don't have a digital camera but these kids parents give them a bunch of money cause they are like doctors and court people and such. and my buddy just said his mom said he's not allowed to take any car to the drag strip but his dad is like i want you to build something quick so it looks like it's gona B a street racer or a show car
Old 10-07-2005, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Not allowed to take it to the drag strip... that's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard! There's "adult supervision" at the strip (safety rules/regs that everyone has to obey), and no one is going to get arrested (well, not for going to fast) and lose their license, something that would be with him for a long time -- especially if caught street racing. He and everyone else is SAFER on the strip! Plus he'll learn a lot more around more stable individuals there than the type that make street racing a regular habit. I'm not talking about the occasional "pick-up" race many of us have been involved in, I mean hard core street racers. Not a good crowd for a young man to hang with!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:27 AM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

yeah i agree he was gona see if he could get his dad to talk to his mom and explain to her about how safe it is at the track i havn't talked to him yet though so i'm not sure how it went
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................and waiting.

If you want to see what can happen while street racing, go HERE

Budget RVs
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
brains

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................and waiting.

If you want to see what can happen while street racing, go HERE

wow, too bad they were street racing, they never have accidents at the drag strip.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:54 PM

i only have about 9500 in my 88 chevy right now and im running 11s but that doesnt include the turbo 502 that is being built. as for an 11 second ride in high school i had my 305 turbocharged vega running low 10s and drove it everyday until i drove it to the track with slicks and had to drive home in a down pour then i built this truck i beleive as long as the kids are responsible with the power they have and dont act stupid they wont kill themselves
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Do you go to Avon Grove HS?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
Do you go to Avon Grove HS?
if you are talking to me-no i went to Collinsville High School and now attend Oklahoma State
Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbopickup
if you are talking to me-no i went to Collinsville High School and now attend Oklahoma State

no, the guy who started the thread. he lives near me.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

These usually make pretty good race cars.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Just a thought. Not sure of the rules between different orgs but why not find a car that qualifys for vintage or old time racing and be ok to run anywhere? Fairmont wouldn't qualify but does the Maverick?? Otherwise, what AFFORDABLE pre-70 car would work best???
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM

drag car

If you are interested in a ford,try a 66-69 falcon 2 dr.They have the same size eng compartment as a mustang or fairlane, meaning a f/e eng ,or a 385 series 429/460 would fit in, also would be easy to put a st axle under the ft end, also its ugly,if you need a better reason. I would like to do a fairmont/zephyr, but they are too new.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:38 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I wasn't insinuating that accidents don't happen on the drag strip. But there are safety inspections and rules, and guard rails for spectators. You're not likely to hit a car parked on the side of the road, and if you act like the clown in the Chevelle who was way to eager to start, you're not gonna be running! If you go to fast, more safety rules apply. You have to agree, there's a whole lot less chance of a major accident on a track than on the street!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.