What Would Make a Good Drag Car - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Collinsville TX or OK?

I think imabout to pick up an 81 camaro. no motor, interior is stripped, has title and no rust. damn i hate to think about running a gm though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
Collinsville TX or OK?

I think imabout to pick up an 81 camaro. no motor, interior is stripped, has title and no rust. damn i hate to think about running a gm though.
Lets see if we can dig you up a falcon or something before you go to the dark side
Old 10-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

much as I hate to say it, but i really don't think i could afford to do a whole lot of racing in a ford. chevy stuff is a half to a third of the price. but every freaking one runs a sbc. but on the other hand, i'm just sick enough to drop a bbf off into it. just for spite.

anyone have a line on a 65-66 Mercury comet?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:07 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Hey Larry! I have a buddy with a 351W--C6--9"rear FORD PINTO for sale!!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

This is a funny/ scary topic for me today. I was thinking about my dad's '79 Ford Fairmont and his '67 F100 390 3 speed. Awesome sleeper in my book. If you could be quiet with it. Or, you could go the GM G-body route.

In a while, Chet
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 AM

If he's got 7~10 thou to spend? go buy a used t-bucket. Even it doesn't hook up and do "TENS". It'll be a hell of a good time. And since your still in high school I'm sure you don't mind the comfort level
Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Ford parts AREN'T that much higher than Chevy SBC parts. 10%, even 20%, on average, I can see, but not "2-3 times as much". I'm an AMC fan. Same thing. If you want hard to find parts, go build an AMC. But there's a secret! AMC had the BEST flowing factory stock heads on their 1970 and later 360-401 engines made. They flow about like Chevy LS-1 heads, which are much newer. The Chrysler Magnum heads are based on the AMC port design. So with a little mild porting and clean-up work you have the equivalent of aftermarket Chevy heads. So you have to spend as much or more on a SBC to get an equivalent engine even though AMC parts do cost a little more. Only a few parts, like aluminum blocks and aluminum race heads, really cost a substantial amount more than other makes. Ford should be the same. With AMCs there are fewer parts choices, but the ones out there are the ones that AMCers know work, so there's less chance of buying junk. Everyone, it seems, makes parts for the SBC, but everyone doesn't make GOOD parts that "play well with others". A wide range of something like intakes means there is more chance of buying one that doesn't work well with your engine combo. There are less than a dozen intake choices for AMCs, and most people don't even know about 2-3 of them! If you really know what you want to do with your vehicle, and what rpm range it should run in, it's easy to figure out which intake you need. Fords aren't nearly as bad!! A TRUE Ford fan would take the plunge, spend the extra time and money, and go out and wave the flag!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona-v10
If he's got 7~10 thou to spend? go buy a used t-bucket. Even it doesn't hook up and do "TENS". It'll be a hell of a good time. And since your still in high school I'm sure you don't mind the comfort level
I can tell you, from experience, that having a T-bucket in high school is great. But I would not suggest it to anyone except the most responsible. I was then, and still am afraid of my T-bucket, and thats probaly why I am still alive. They are great cars, but coming in at 1500lbs, they can get real squirrely real fast..... Mine is at around 400 hp which gives it a power to weight ratio close to that of a Hayabusa. Not something I would suggest to a high school kid really.

Also, they are fair weather only vehicles because of the tops or lack there of. And being in high school for 8 hours a day, it could be beautiful in the morning and pouring when you leave, which is not fun.

I don't want to steer anyone away from a T-bucket, because in the right hands they are great cars. In the hands of most teenager they would become a coffin on wheels. If you would build or buy one, for a starter, I would suggest a v6, even them can be scary fast.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
A TRUE Ford fan would take the plunge, spend the extra time and money, and go out and wave the flag!

yessir. will do. was on the phone with an old chevy buddy the other night.... he was telling me how good Fords aren't..... I told him, it was people like him that make me want to run a Ford. so yes, yes I will. sorry for the weak moment, I just want to go racing.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

2nd gen camaro ,Fox mustang or Gbody GM(malibu)

2nd gens are pretty heavy but have a strong rear even in stock form.

Speed is addictive and costs money. How fast you want to go depends on your money input. Once you go fast, I can almost guarantee you are going to want to go faster. My 1st 10 sec pass was a blast but only seems fast for so long......$$$$.

IMO.... its not all about going fast... its about doing it safely.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

okay, I've seen aruments for Ford, AMC and against Chevy. Well, if the venerable smallblock was such a bad motor, why was it so often used? other than cheap and reliable I could add plentiful to the list. oh well do what you want.

If I were looking to make power the hard way I would have to build up a nailhead. Try finding much of anything for them. not many aftermarket intakes and the factory Cast Iron jobs are few and far between. Can be pushed to 425+ cubes easily with a stock block. The 494" stroker kit is available for the reasonable sum of $2500 for the rotating assembly. They have factory roller rockers and forged internals. The intake manifold can be easily modified for a longer runner. These engines are all torque, so you gotta make it hook hard to go fast. Did I mention these engines are actually lighter than an iron block iron headed smallblock?

just adding to the list of things to why I like my GM's.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:14 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

1982 SS, it's not about Chevy being "no good" -- if they weren't they wouldn't have made basically the same engine so long. I started to say "they wouldn't be in business any more", but I'm an AMC fan, and often hear that from ignorant people. Big business is harsh, especially when the competition is way bigger than you! Lots of really good small parts stores that knew their product and took care of customers have been run out of business by the big chain stores. Now you have people behind the counter who may not have known what a spark plug was until they got there (don't be offended if you work at one of those places -- I'm talking about the average counter person, not necessarily you)!

AMC was the same way -- great product (believe it or not), but just weren't big enough to stay in competition with the bigger companies -- world wide, not just US. Their mistake was they tried to compete directly with the bigger US companies. If they had concentrated on one or two car lines and not made all sizes in the late 60s and early 70s, they would have at least lasted longer. Building a full line strained their more limited resources, and eventually drove them under. It was a few business decisions that turned out bad (looked good on paper at the time -- everyone has those!) that eventually forced them to sell out first to Renault, then to Chrysler. At least they didn't just fold up like other companies before them!

Okay, back on track! If you prefer a particular make thats' fine, but do realize that the others have their pros and cons as well. I prefer AMC, but there's nothing wrong with other makes. Yeah, I prefer to see an AMC mill in an AMC. In the long run it makes it worth more and/or easier to sell. How many Chevy fans want to buy a Camaro with a 5.0L Ford in it -- no matter how well built the SBF is? Someone will, but it will take longer to sell and isn't likely to bring the money a nice SBC would. In contrast, what Mustang fan wants one with a SBC 350 under the hood? Whay should AMC fans be any different?

The SBC is cheap and plentiful, THAT is why it's used so often -- easy to find, lots of parts choices (which means competition and lower prices). NOTHING MORE. It's not "better" than any other make, chevy fans don't seem to realize that important aspect. The SBC is just as reliable as any other make -- not more. It depends on the builder and the quality of parts used in that particular build -- and let's not foget the quality of workmanship put into it. SBC, SBF, SBChryco, Hemi, Big Block, AMC -- it doesn't matter. The problem many people have with (SOME, not all) SBC fans is those fans think it's better than other makes and that any car with an SBC is a good thing.

Real hot rodders are a different story. For one thing, they are usually working with cars that never had V-8s available from the factory, so it's a bit of work to stick anything in there. For another, most don't care what's under the hood of a well built car. They know craftsmanship is the most important part of the car. Most are getting tired of the same-old-same-old SBC and prefer to see someting "different" under the hood, whether it's an inline six with three side draft Webers or an old Poncho "slant four" with a small blower angled over on the side, or even a Buick Nailhead. In something like a T or 30s car it doesn't take much to have a powerhouse! A stock 2V Nailhead that was little more than adequate in a mid 50s Buick is quite a powerhouse for a T-bucket!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Speaking of nailheads, I've got a few but never considered using them in a race car. However, talked to a new company at Famoso HRR called Eelco & they are making more & more nailhead speed equip. like adapters to chevy 4-5 speed trans, multii carb mani's etc. Don't know their #'s but they are in Portland, Ore. Asked them about a blower kit for 401/425 & they said if they get a few more inquires they'll consider it. I'll try & find their card I brought home.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
Collinsville TX or OK?

collinsville, ok

sorry it took me so long to reply but i now have the 502 in my truck and i will have some new numbers tonight im hoping for a low 10 or maybe a nine i have some pics of the exterior now too and will post them soon
Old 10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

he ended up buying a shelby cobra with a mild 351 in it he paid like 10,500 for it and hasn't taken it to the track yet and doesn't really plan on it for a while and man can that car handle!!! red with white stripes

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.