Hot Rod Forum banner

What would a traditional four cylinder street rod have sounded like???

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  toddshotrods 
#1 ·
I actually love four cylinders, especially the thought of one with incredible horsepower. I remember reading an article in one of the major rags back in the eighties about building a Ford 2.3, Pontiac 2.5, or Chrysler 2.2. Back then four cylinders were frowned upon; because gas was cheap and American manufacturers were more focused on V8's. Now that gas prices have soared beyond reason, and foreign manucaturers have proven the potential of an inline four, American manufacturers and consumers have realized the value of running "half an engine".

I've seen a few traditional hot rods with them (usually Quad 4's) that were pretty nice, so I started thinking seriously about building one again. It would be fun to have a hot rod that gets the gas mileage of a modern economy car, but has decent performance (light weight). The big question, however, is:

What would be an appropriate exhaust note, and how would you get it?

For example, what did the old Offy four-bangers sound like? I know I've heard an four-cylinder Model T before, but I can't remember what it sounded like. I think it was kind of quiet. I've thought about a split header (4-into-2), with true duals; but this is defeating the performance potential.

Anyone have one they can make an audio recording of and share?

See less See more
#2 ·
inmo you will never make a newer engine sound like an offey or even better yet a novi.....

the were way to diffrent...
but boy do they sound good.

a 2.3 ford is a cool piece with lots of mods readily avaible... and would probably b the closest to an old offey..

by the way i am using a 2.0 turbo in my t bucket...

#3 ·
Hmmm, I thought I had posted a reply. Guess not?!

A turbo four in a T-bucket sounds like fun! :thumbup:

I am not trying to make a modern four sound like an on Offy. I would just like to have a sound that is more complementary to the style of vehicle. I would like to hear a vintage four-banger (preferrably a performance/race motor) just to get an idea of what they sounded like.

#22 ·
Now that I know it is possible to have a great sounding four-cylinder hot rod, I started putting some thought into what engine I would use. I haven't decided to do this yet, but am giving it serious consideration. I realize that I probably won't be able to replicate the sound of an Offy, but believe that it is possible to come up with something appropriate. Of course, starting with the right foundation would save a lot of work.

The Ford 2.3 sounds like it has a decent exhaust note to start with, and I know that it has a long history of being hotrodded, but I never seem to do things the easy way. Ditto with the Quad 4; even though it is supposed to look a lot like an Offy, when stipped of its factory covers and crap. I always have to bang my head against the proverbial brick wall, sailing in "uncharted" waters"... :cool:

One engine I have always been intrigued with is Pontiac's "half an eight" used in the 61-63 Tempest. It is basically the right side of a 389, so parts shouldn't be an issue. I have never seen one up close, or heard one run though.

Besides sounding great, the Offy is also a great looking engine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.