what would you recommend to improve my engines performance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

what would you recommend to improve my engines performance

hello everyone i have a 87 iroc and i would like to improve my engine its stock im not to good with engines so what would you recommend(street legal)it has a 350 engine with a 350 manual transmission

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 AM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

A free flowing exhaust would be my first start. Headers along with a good flowing dual mufflers.Believe it or not but a good tune up will show you tons of results too. New plugs, wires.Since its 87 im assuming its tbi. Injection cleaner will free up some fuel effieciency. Now if your looking for more hp. Look into finding a set of vortec heads with matching intake if you plan on keeping it fuel injected or carbing it. Summitracing camshaft kit the 1103 model and your cooking then. How much money you tring to spend
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle
A free flowing exhaust would be my first start. Headers along with a good flowing dual mufflers.Believe it or not but a good tune up will show you tons of results too. New plugs, wires.Since its 87 im assuming its tbi. Injection cleaner will free up some fuel effieciency. Now if your looking for more hp. Look into finding a set of vortec heads with matching intake if you plan on keeping it fuel injected or carbing it. Summitracing camshaft kit the 1103 model and your cooking then. How much money you tring to spend

It will be a TPI motor. There are a few free mods you can do to free up some power.

TB bypass-your car has hot coolant flowing into the throttle body and out the other side. This design was put into place to keep the throttle blades from freezing up in sub 32 degree weather. Simply unhook both ends from your throttle body and then use a small piece of tubing with some hose clamps to connect them together. Try to find a flared piece.

MAF sensor--take it off of your car and remove the screens on either end. This will improve the airflow into the engine. Make sure you run your car with an air filter at all times.

Catalytic converter--unhook it from the exhaust and hammer out all of the pieces inside. Make sure it is legal to do so where your state laws apply. Some states require strict vehicle emmision testing others do not.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijares
hello everyone i have a 87 iroc and i would like to improve my engine its stock im not to good with engines so what would you recommend(street legal)it has a 350 engine with a 350 manual transmission
87 IROCs are a weird mix of engines, LG4 Q jet 305; LB9 TPI 305; L98 TPI 350. You need to figure out which is in there.

This can be done with Engine, VIN, or casting numbers and observation as to whether it has a carb or injection.

Bogie
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

The group over at THIRDGEN.ORG are the kings of this stuff it seems. Some of the following is TPI specific, most works for any V8 engine in these cars from the factory.
I would get an aftermarket free flowing cat converter (or 2 if your car requires them). A better quality Y pipe and midpipe, along with a nice single muffler 'cat back'. Believe it or not, the factory air intake on the TPI's are very good, just use a quality air filter. The throttle body bypass (TB BYPASS) is good too, and removing the screens from the MAF is okay, but theres some conjecture that it can cause problems, so I never did it to mine. You could get a set of aluminum heads off of a similar year corvette, but you'll probably want to grab the intake as well because the EGR is set up differently on vettes. The A.I.R pump doesnt take much at all on these cars to spin. So as long as it spins freely by hand; you should leave it and the AIR tubes that go to the exhaust manifolds in tact. If you want headers, forget longtubes and forget a true dual setup....its really really not worth the hassle. If you still want headers, contact Dyno Don on ThirdGen; he makes some amazing stainless ones. You'll also want a small laptop and some serious time on the TGO (thirdgen.org) PROM tuning boards.

Good Luck
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

cat back kit, put a chip in the ecm, and a big blue bottel wet kits work well on the tune ports !! oh ya ,and then find a 12 bolt with a 35 spline locker.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Blue bottles work wet . My neighboor has a 100hp wet shot on his Civic EX 1.6L 5 spd . Really charges forward like you would not expect. Probably puts 200 hp to the wheels.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM

87 iroc

thanks for your help im looking to get the most horsepower out of it so i would appreciate if you keep giving me ideas (my engine has a carburator) i will definitely check out thirdgen.org
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijares
thanks for your help im looking to get the most horsepower out of it so i would appreciate if you keep giving me ideas (my engine has a carburator) i will definitely check out thirdgen.org
Well a carbed 350/th350 combo isn't what that car came with off the line, so if you could fill us in with the carb model, intake, head casting number from under the valve cover, current exhaust configuration and camshaft specs we'd be able to help you a lot more. Tire size, rear gear ratio, and converter specs would help too. We'd be able to pin point what you need to do to reach your goal.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.