Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What a year rant
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trees....before your brother has the surgery, have him to really LOOK into it. One thing I found out from the "reverse prosthesis" is that one of the most common problems is the shoulder dislocating. Once the reverse prosthesis is put in, it is my understanding that they cannot go back and put in a standard prosthesis. The doctor that did mine told me it was the latest, greatest!!! So who do you believe. I thought I could trust my doctor that has done literally hundreds of surgeries, but I guess I was wrong. He was also the one that told me I have to live with it. (meaning the shoulder being out of place)

What I have learned so far is that if a person has a lot of arthritis, they can put in a standard prothesis, but cannot put in the cup in the shoulder. The standard prosthesis is the stem with a ball on it, basically like you original shoulder. If the shoulder is tore up from an accident then they can line the cup. I had arthritis so they couldn't line the cup and the standard prosthesis still left me with quite a bit of pain, hence replacing it with the reverse prosthesis. The doctor that did mine with the reverse, accidentally cut my Axillary nerve because he could not see it in all of the scar tissue of the first surgery. And seeing that I have had two stems put in, the bone is thin, to the point of being ruined if anything would happen to go wrong. By that I mean it has been reamed out twice to the point that the bone is very thin along the outsides of the stem.

I dearly hope your brother's goes better than mine did, but ask him to research the downside of having the reverse prosthesis. When the shoulder is dislocated, it is very painful. I've put up with dislocation for three years and narcotics for eight years. Even if I lose the use of my arm for most things, but can get it back in location and off of medication, I will be a very happy camper. I know the meds have probably already taken a toll somewhere else in the body, whether it be the liver, or the mind. I know I'll pay for it in my older years