What years are reverse flow engines? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What years are reverse flow engines?

Ok, semi-silly question here. I've got a 350 Vortec block from a 96 Chevy pickup and i was wondering if it was a reverse flow or not. Does anyone know? The best I can tell with the casting numbers is that it's just a vortec motor, not an LT motor (reverse flow right?). I am starting to piece meal my motor together bit by bit and I didn't want to screw something as important yet as simple as this up. How can I tell the difference? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 PM

Ozz1967,

I think what you are talking about is the direction that the water pump turns because of the serpentine belt. The engine turns in the same direction only the water pump turns backwards. Not all serpentine systems are this way so just check to see if your waterpump is being turned CW or CCW. Everything else will bolt up.

Scholman
Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Sorry, yes, I was talking about the water pump. When I got the motor, everything was disconnected already. It didn't have any accessories other than the water pump still bolted to it and the water pump will spin both ways. so.. hmm..
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz1967
Sorry, yes, I was talking about the water pump. When I got the motor, everything was disconnected already. It didn't have any accessories other than the water pump still bolted to it and the water pump will spin both ways. so.. hmm..

Now wait a minute. The "reverse flow" engines push the water through the heads first then into the block. The water pump is driven by gearing to the camshaft. These were in the 92-96 Vettes and Impala SS cars and a few others.

This has nothing to do with the reverse rotation water pumps of the serpentine belt systems which is still the conventional block to heads delivery system.

www.readershotrods.com see your ride?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

So this motor shouldn't have a reverse flow water pump on it. I just don't want to mess it up because I could really ruin the motor.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
So this motor shouldn't have a reverse flow water pump on it. I just don't want to mess it up because I could really ruin the motor.
Reverse flow = no
Reverse rotation = yes (driven by the back of the belt).
Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

I think your motor from the factory with the stock serpentine belt system run the water pump back wards (reverse rotation), if you don't run the stock serpentine belt system, you will need a older non reverse rotation flow water pump. (witch I would run, the stock serpentine belt system, it will work off the chevys 4.3 V6 & V8s)

someone correct me if I'm wrong.............

Mustangsaly
Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

I will be running the original V-belt system from my Trans Am.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I will be running the original V-belt system from my Trans Am.
Then you will need a new water pump for that trans am.

Edit: That was a stupid thing to say...for some reason I was thinking Camaro and chevy engine not a Pontiac engine

Last edited by Triaged; 08-11-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
Then you will need a new water pump for that trans am.
Ok, but I can't run a reverse flow water pump on a V-belt. The rotation of the belts won't allow it. Can I put a standard rotation water pump on this thing or does it require a reverse rotation? If I cannot put a standard rotation water pump, then I will have to start scouring the junk yards for a serpentine belt system.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok, but I can't run a reverse rotation water pump on a V-belt. The rotation of the belts won't allow it.
Correct

a serpentine belt system needs a reverse rotation water pump, if you don't run the stock serpentine belt system, and run a V belt setup you will need a older non reverse rotation flow water pump, Old Style Water Pump.

with the V belt system you just need a standard rotation water pump, old style, (if I'm wrong someone correct me) why not run a chevy 4.3 V6 or chevy V8 serpentine belt system ? if you run the serpentine belt system with the Reverse rotation water pump that come with the serpentine belt system your ok. the serpentine belt system fits & gets rid of V belt setup. if your wanting to keep the stock look and run the V belt, you need a older non reverse rotation flow water pump, the Old Style Water Pump..

heres one with everything http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-92...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SERPE...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rat-r...spagenameZWDVW

although I've see the same setup with everything go for $65.00 to $125 or hit local salvage yards. 4.3s were in 1/2 p/us vans & cars.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
Correct

a serpentine belt system needs a reverse rotation water pump, if you don't run the stock serpentine belt system, and run a V belt setup you will need a older non reverse rotation flow water pump, Old Style Water Pump.

with the V belt system you just need a standard rotation water pump, old style, (if I'm wrong someone correct me) why not run a chevy 4.3 V6 or chevy V8 serpentine belt system ? if you run the serpentine belt system with the Reverse rotation water pump that come with the serpentine belt system your ok. the serpentine belt system fits & gets rid of V belt setup. if your wanting to keep the stock look and run the V belt, you need a older non reverse rotation flow water pump, the Old Style Water Pump..

heres one with everything http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-92...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SERPE...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/rat-r...spagenameZWDVW

although I've see the same setup with everything go for $65.00 to $125 or hit local salvage yards. 4.3s were in 1/2 p/us vans & cars.
Ok, well that answers all the questions except one. Since this motor came with a serpentine belt system and thus a reverse flow water pump, will it hurt the motor if I keep the stock look and my original V-belts? Is the reverse flow absolutely necessary for the operation of the motor? I do like the stock look, but...I may go with a serpentine set up. The main reason I would stay with the V-belts, is all the accessories that I have are Vbelt...AC, power steering etc.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Ok, well that answers all the questions except one. Since this motor came with a serpentine belt system and thus a reverse flow water pump, will it hurt the motor if I keep the stock look and my original V-belts? Is the reverse flow absolutely necessary for the operation of the motor? I do like the stock look, but...I may go with a serpentine set up. The main reason I would stay with the V-belts, is all the accessories that I have are Vbelt...AC, power steering etc.
No, No, NO!

Get all this reverse flow stuff out of your head. Only LT1/LT4's are reverse FLOW. However all serpentine belt systems use a reverse ROTATION water pump. There is a HUGE difference!!! The Vortec engine you have is a STANDARD FLOW REVERSE ROTATION water pump. If you want to run V-belts you will need a STANDARD FLOW STANDARD ROTATION water pump (aka one from a 55-86 Chevy).

Next you need to decide if you want to run a short or long water pump...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
No, No, NO!

Get all this reverse flow stuff out of your head. Only LT1/LT4's are reverse FLOW. However all serpentine belt systems use a reverse ROTATION water pump. There is a HUGE difference!!! The Vortec engine you have is a STANDARD FLOW REVERSE ROTATION water pump. If you want to run V-belts you will need a STANDARD FLOW STANDARD ROTATION water pump (aka one from a 55-86 Chevy).

Next you need to decide if you want to run a short or long water pump...
Oh...Well that finally answered the question that I tried to ask in my first post and I didn't know know they were two separate entities.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Oh...Well that finally answered the question that I tried to ask in my first post and I didn't know know they were two separate entities.
Glad it helped. I wasn't trying to be a jerk...just trying to get the point across clearly.

What brackets do you have? Ones for a Pontiac engine?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.