Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What are you using for sewing machines?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Do you know how to sew with an industrial machine? The difference between a home machine and an industrial machine is like the difference between a ferrari and a motor scooter. You are looking for an industrial compound walking foot machine with reverse. Compound feed is a combination of needle feed (the needle moves perpendicular to the bed of the machine pushing the work forward) and drop feed (employing feed dogs to also push the work forward). Most of the machines like that are copies of the original Singer 111W. Newer Consews are made by Seiko in China, and are not as good as they used to be, so if you're looking for a Consew, find an older one. I have a Consew 226 and a Consew 255RB-3. Consew also makes a 206, but it has a vertical bobbin that loads from the left side of the needle, and I don't care for that configuration. I like a horizontal bobbin that loads from the right of the needle, but that's just my personal preference. Juki makes a good machine, as does Pfaff. The Pfaff 1245 is a great workhorse of a machine.

Whichever machine you decide to get, if it still has a clutch motor, replace it with a servo motor. Clutch motors are either on or off at full speed, and the only way to slow the machine down is by slipping the clutch which requires a lot of experience. Servos are much easier to control because they are true variable speed constant torque devices. The less you push on the pedal, the slower the machine sews, and most servos have a rheostat to adjust the speed range even further.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.