Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What are you using for sewing machines?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone
In my case, I had picked up my machine before I found this board so I had gone with the recommendation of a local store - the machine I've got is Sailrite's LS-1 Ultrafeed. A little bigger than a home machine, a lot heavier duty, and easy to stow away in a closet when not in use. So far, anything I've stuck under the foot (it's a walking foot, but not compound feed) has not slowed it down - 2 pieces of 4 oz leather (with a standard needle as an experiment), 10 layers of heavy vinyl/canvas, vinyl & sewfoam, etc. Haven't tried plywood yet but I'd imagine it wouldn't even notice.

You can see it behind the shifter boot I made for a friend of mine (black marine vinyl with #92 blue poly thread). This is just after I added the 7 lb balance wheel with handcrank upgrade (vs the original plastic wheel).
This looks like a very well built machine, and would do well for furniture upholstery. The problem with this machine is that it only has 7 1/2" space to the right of the needle, and for auto upholstery, that would be tough to use. It only has 5/16" of lift, and only has a 1/10th HP motor. It costs around $700.00. If anyone is really serious about doing auto upholstery, I would suggest spending a few hundred dollars more for a larger industrial machine that has 2 1/2" more space to the right of the needle, 1/2 HP motor, and 7/16" of lift to allow you to get more thicknesses of fabric under the foot. I'm also wondering if there are very many different feet available for this machine. That can make a huge difference for many different things that need to be sewed for a car's interior.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.