What Your Car Color Says About You! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What is your favorite primary car color?
Brown 0 0%
Yellow 2 5.13%
Green 2 5.13%
Blue 9 23.08%
Purple 1 2.56%
Red 12 30.77%
White 1 2.56%
Black 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Old Fart but ***** Newbie!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What Your Car Color Says About You!

A boring Sunday question...

What is your favorite primary car color?
Black....Yellow....Red....White....Blue....Green.. .Purple....Brown?
What does that say about you??

My latest hobby came to me yellow, but everything before that has always been red?

I found these explanations on another site:

Colors often have different meanings in various cultures. And even in Western societies, the meanings of various colors have changed over the years. But today in the U.S., researchers have generally found the following to be accurate.

Black
Black is the color of authority and power. It is popular in fashion because it makes people appear thinner. It is also stylish and timeless. Black also implies submission. Priests wear black to signify submission to God. Some fashion experts say a woman wearing black implies submission to men. Black outfits can also be overpowering, or make the wearer seem aloof or evil. Villains, such as Dracula, often wear black.

White
Brides wear white to symbolize innocence and purity. White reflects light and is considered a summer color. White is popular in decorating and in fashion because it is light, neutral, and goes with everything. However, white shows dirt and is therefore more difficult to keep clean than other colors. Doctors and nurses wear white to imply sterility.

Red
The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of love. Red clothing gets noticed and makes the wearer appear heavier. Since it is an extreme color, red clothing might not help people in negotiations or confrontations. Red cars are popular targets for thieves. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent. Decorators say that red furniture should be perfect since it will attract attention.

The most romantic color, pink, is more tranquilizing. Sports teams sometimes paint the locker rooms used by opposing teams bright pink so their opponents will lose energy.

Blue
The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms. Blue can also be cold and depressing. Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty. People are more productive in blue rooms. Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms.

Green
Currently the most popular decorating color, green symbolizes nature. It is the easiest color on the eye and can improve vision. It is a calming, refreshing color. People waiting to appear on TV sit in "green rooms" to relax. Hospitals often use green because it relaxes patients. Brides in the Middle Ages wore green to symbolize fertility. Dark green is masculine, conservative, and implies wealth. However, seamstresses often refuse to use green thread on the eve of a fashion show for fear it will bring bad luck.

Yellow
Cheerful sunny yellow is an attention getter. While it is considered an optimistic color, people lose their tempers more often in yellow rooms, and babies will cry more. It is the most difficult color for the eye to take in, so it can be overpowering if overused. Yellow enhances concentration, hence its use for legal pads. It also speeds metabolism.

Purple
The color of royalty, purple connotes luxury, wealth, and sophistication. It is also feminine and romantic. However, because it is rare in nature, purple can appear artificial.

Brown
Solid, reliable brown is the color of earth and is abundant in nature. Light brown implies genuineness while dark brown is similar to wood or leather. Brown can also be sad and wistful. Men are more apt to say brown is one of their favorite colors.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

I have to honestly say the vehicle determines the primary color for me. I like most models in red, there are a very few that can pull off yellow or orange. Any can pull off black or white. Most can pull off Blue, green, tan or silver. These are my opinions, and to me varying shades of these colors can determine whether they work for that particular model or not. I have to paint customers vehicles quite often that I say what the h... are they thinking with this color/shade, but I do it, because it is what they want. Jerry
Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Colors

What - no Beige? How can vote if there is no Beige choice? Or Chartreuse?

Actually, color is the least significant thing about a car (to me) - but then again, I don't really care much about a car's appearance - if paint is scratched or there is a dent in the bodywork I just leave it.

My current fleet comprises my gray commuter, my son's red car, my wife's gold one, a blue & silver pickup and my hobby cars are a two-tone green 57 Chev, a teal '65 1800s, a white 76 Grand LeMans, a black & silver '80 Chev P/U (with most of the paint worn off) and a dark blue (mostly - but its original pale green shows through in a lot of places) '37 Dodge. I'm not looking to spend huge bux on appearance on any of the above - they run the same regardless of looks!

My '56 F100 is "colorless" (it had been beadblasted when I got it) and my 28 Model A is in beige (Tan) two-part epoxy. No color trends here!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
....My '56 F100 is "colorless" (it had been beadblasted when I got it)....
Got any pics of it?

Quote:
Blue
The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals, so it is often used in bedrooms. Blue can also be cold and depressing. Fashion consultants recommend wearing blue to job interviews because it symbolizes loyalty. People are more productive in blue rooms. Studies show weightlifters are able to handle heavier weights in blue gyms.
I have always wanted a blue vehicle and never had one.

Someday...(yeah right) my 56 will be a two tone blue/white. Just like the factory two tones were painted, except not the stock color.

Currently it is just a driver. Multi color. Mostly reds though (meaning many shades of red).
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_B
Got any pics of it?

I have always wanted a blue vehicle and never had one.

Someday...(yeah right) my 56 will be a two tone blue/white. Just like the factory two tones were painted, except not the stock color.

Currently it is just a driver. Multi color. Mostly reds though (meaning many shades of red).
Just picture a '56 F100, sand (or bead) blasted and then left out in the rain for 8 years (the last 5 in my possession). I bought it BECAUSE it had been blasted (even though it had a ton of surface rust) so I could see it had no bondo, very few dents and no major rust. It will have to go through the tanks at Readi-strip before I can even send it off to the body shop.

Prev owner had sold the hood, tailgate and the doors off it. My replacements are a dark green hood, one pale blue door and one yellow one and a very light green (and battered) tailgate. I have no idea what color it will wind up when finished (Least important part of it all!) Still working on concepts for things I want to do with it. (too many projects!) I've got a 70 Caddy 500 for it, but not sure about what trans to use. Will have Dodge Dakota front end and T-bird IRS rear end with Torsen center section. Will NOT be chopped, channeled, or lowered, will NOT have fuel injection, nor digital dash or air ride, and NO billet anything! Will have an "under-floor trunk" in the bed (like the Honda pilot P/U has) and Lexus bucket seats with "2 million-way" adjusters and memory, plus likely, an overhead console for additional switches and gauges. No stereo is planned, no nav system will be used, and likely, no A/C either (why spend all that $$$ on A/C for a vehicle that will likely never get more than about 250 miles a year?)
Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have a red one and a green one...I must like Xmas.................
Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

No it says you believe in Santa Claus .............. not CHRISTMAS, that is the offical spelling of the holiday FYI....
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Silver ?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
No it says you believe in Santa Claus .............. not CHRISTMAS, that is the offical spelling of the holiday FYI....
Well, if I have to believe in fairy tales, Santa would be the one I would pick.....
Xmas is the lazy mans way of spelling Christmas.....Now that I am retired, I try to conserve all the energy that I can....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Silver ?
Yeah, how about it?....Probably more silver cars on the road than anything these days.............Must mean you are "Joe Average"....but I know better than that, Malc............
Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Even tho a Black one

Is the hardest to keep

If the paint's done well

It's damned hard to beat
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Official Hotrod Forester

Last photo:

I would of chose orange, but its not listed. So I picked red, that was the closest to it.

Funny thing is I drive a silver truck every day. Seams that color was not on the choices either.

So is this survey not relevant to me or am I just that far out of mainstream?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrytodd
I would of chose orange, but its not listed. So I picked red, that was the closest to it.
So is this survey not relevant to me or am I just that far out of mainstream?
As I see it, this is an open and shut case of blatant discrimination

NO ORANGE - - how dare he - - that was the color of the General Lee, The University of Texas Longhorns and Dennis Hopper's Bike in "Easy Rider" - - - Oops, maybe it's not such a good color choice after all
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Old Fart but ***** Newbie!

Last photo:

Funny thing is I also posted this at "other" hot rod bulletin boards and they all choose BLACK by over 50%.

With so many satin black hot rods what does that say about individuality?
What happened with hot rodders being individual free spirits?

There are so many satin black coupes with red accents (and don’t forget the white and green pin striping) and whitewall tires at the car shows it takes a very special example to get any special attention.

But let a Plum Crazy or GoMango mopar show up and everybody is looking!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

What about Gold? I kinda like that on my Monte. Sure beats the black of the oil stain under it....

In awhile, Chet.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

All of this is understandable, however, there are lots more Hot Rodders than there are Paint Colors - -

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.