"Whatdidja make?" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 01:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

"Whatdidja make?"

The thread on "proud of your garage" was excellent. How about one on "Be proud of your homemade tool/gadget/thinggy that makes yor life in the garage easier". I'm not talking about that Torque Thrust 'Air-hose reel' you nailed to the wall. I mean the little things you either picked up (that wasn't made to do that) or made up that add value to your time spent in the garage.

For example: we all have engine stands sittin' idle. I fabbed up some mounts for both a 4' flourscent light and a big-assed tray I picked up at a restaraunt supply shop. It makes a nice roll-around tool & beverage caddy/ source of light/engine stand.

What makes your life easier that may help others?

49 T&C

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 07:07 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

A new welding/cutting bench that collects all the slag. I now have a sheetmetal back and sides on it , so the sparks are contained. I can weld in my shorts, without getting burnt!!

(Great idea about the engine stand- I almost bought a roll around cart to hold tools while working on the car!!)
Old 08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My "Rolling Work Center" is pretty handy...

As are both of my Chassis Jig Tables...

Old 08-18-2004, 01:03 PM

Good stuff...
The welding bench is great. Problem is EVERYTHING I have ends up on any flat space. How do you keep it clean?

Astroracer - I'm glad you included an electrical outlet on your mobile cabinet. What kind of countertop. I always add a piece of masonite as a throw-away when it gets too messed up.

Lets see more...

49 T&C
Old 08-18-2004, 02:05 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

49-
See the spacing on the angle? EVERYTHING falls in between ! LOL
Old 08-19-2004, 12:52 AM

no pic but I cut up a file and a C clamp and welded them together to compress the pistons on my brakes since they spin when they go in.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:26 PM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

I just put some metal screen over a fifty gallon drum to weld on. Yours is a little fancier.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Love the welding table.

I made a rack for my air tools out of some scrap I had laying around. The cover is hinged to allow access. When lowered it does a pretty good job of keeping the dust out of the fittings.

I also make a cycle lift. All of the ones that I could find for sale were portable, but not with the bike in place. Considering my wife's insistence on parking her car where my bike should be, this was a necessity. The end pieces are attached with only four bolts each. It only takes a few min to put them in place or remove them. One end is operated by a scissor jack, and the other uses a trailer jack to allow some steering.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Heist yourself a few shopping carts.They kick butt.The only one I know I have left is the engine dolly one.They can also be fabbed into a welding cart{I think I still have mine around somewhere},as well as a tranny dolly that allows you to roll trainnies under cars and then allows you to get a floor jack under them to put them in place.If I can take a pick of the engine dolly tommorrow I will post it.
You need some cheap stairs to load stuff into the loft of that rental garage that you would never really invest money into,try zip tieing a bunch of milk crates together then drywall screwing a few sheets of scrap wood onto them as treads.The scrap wood adds strength too.Just make sure the zip ties are the heavy duty ones.I got that one from my dad who was the first one in his boat club to pioneer them as a means of getting from the dock onto his boat which sits at least 5 feet higher then the dock.Now it seems everybody in the club has them.

Here are some pics of some homemade stuff.The pic of the engine dolly is obvious.If you look at the boat pic,look near the rear of the boat,those stairs are actually 6 milk crates tied together with indoor outdoor carpet over them.we dont need to get that fancy.The idea works though.

Last edited by Super Streeter; 08-22-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Old enough to know better

I've got a number of special tools that I've made, mainly for transmission and differential work. Semi transmissions are a real challange to assemble and keep phased correctly. I did some spacers with parts of old bearings and bolts to let me place all the shafts perfectly and swap one spacer at a time for new bearings. Some of that kind of stuff is never found in a tool catalog or is priced way out of reach
Old 08-25-2004, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

My dad made a welding table. Flat as can be and level as anything. Made a valve spring compressor out of slotted flat 1/2 inch thick metal.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 PM

Yeah MeanGreen, after buying a fancy spring compressor which was a piece of cr$p, I made a simple one out of angle iron which works very well.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

I made the spring compressor to end all spring compressors.when I first built my firebird,I made the mistake of not putting new valvesprings in the used heads when I freshened the engine.I broke a few springs early on but was too lazy to change them all.I was drivng the car to the track on a friday night{35 miles to Englishtown},and about half way down on the turnpike it started missing.I pulled off the next exit and into a goodyear service center.I asked them if any of them had a valve spring compresor and they said no.I asked them if they had anything that I could use as a prybar to cange valvesprings and they handed me a piece of heavy duty piano style door hinge.I made a few calls and got one of my friends to go to my shop and pick up some valve springs to bring down to me.I used a 5/8" wrench locked crooked around the rocker arm nut with the chunk of door hinge as an extention to the lever.We used a long skinny screwdrive that I bent over a parking stop to use to hold the valve up and in 10 minutes we did 4 valve springs and were on our way to the races.The manager at the Goodyear stared in utter amazement at what we were doing.The sad part was that I owned a truck and trailer to tow my car,but figured that since my truck was as loud and obnoxious as my race car and had no air conditioning or anything that would have made the trip more comfortable,I was just as well of driving my car.I never made that mistake again.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

These are two tools that I personally fabricated. The standard model on the left and the one on the right is for more complex work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-011s.jpg
Views:	1634
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2439  
Old 08-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm lookin' to learn.

Last journal entry: Tear down begins
Last photo:

LOL

Hard to master those? Looks like it might take some practice to get the skills up.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.