Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats the best bet SB or BB chevy
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

techinspector... I like how you think

Those 2's are pretty light and small. You will be able to get away with a pretty wild small block and shave weight compared to a BBC. The Caddy is almost as light as the SBC and has a serious displacement advantage.

So, (even though I love BBCs) the SBC sticks out to me first. A 383 stroker can be built for about the same as a 350, but much less than a 454 and it has 84% of the displacement. But, getting a 383 to make the same power as a 454 is cheaper and since you have such a light car you can deal with the extra revs you'll need to get it.

The caddy is a wonderful engine since its huge and just a few pounds heavier than the SBC, but it costs about the same as a BBC to build and is a little less suited to revving. Of course you don't need to rev a caddy to make torque and power, but its a slight mismatch in my opinion. I'd rather see light cars matched with high-revving engines

So, when it comes down to it, I would personally do a 383. The Caddy is different and can still make the same power with 50% more torque, but at the cost of the little nitpicking things it requires to adapt it into the C2 chassis.

Either way... I vote against the BBC