Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats the best bet SB or BB chevy
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
I strongly disagree with the statement that a 383 costs the same as a 350. Not too many scat cranks in junkyards. Lots of machine work inherint in a 383 project and a 350 can be reworked pretty cheap. 383's are nice, but not cheap.. .
Who says you need a scat crank? And often times you can buy a brand new cast stroker crank for a few bucks more than a quality re-turn on a stock crank, and you're still at standard size. And since you only other different expense is pistons (which you have to buy anyway), the 383 really is no more expensive if you do it carefully. I'm actually building an all-forged 383 with H-beam rods for less than the cost of having my 350 rebuilt. Of course I'm doing the assembly which saves me $200, but I was just careful and took my time waiting for bargains. Even if you buy the engine from a reman house, a 383 is EXACTLY the same price as a 350.

Take a look here:
http://www.golenengineservice.com/ht...rt_blocks.html

In fact, when I was doing my last 350, I actually found a couple places that ONLY made 383s. Since they were the same price they had so few people asking for 350s that they just built 383s. They could still build you a 350, but they didn't keep eny in stock.