What's the best carb & fuel tank replacement for a 1955 Chevy 235 straight six? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's the best carb & fuel tank replacement for a 1955 Chevy 235 straight six?

SO WHAT IS THE BEST CARB & FUEL TANK REPLACEMENTS FOR A 1955 CHEVY 235 INLINE STRAIGHT SIX??

The 55 still has the original 1 Barrel Rochester BC Carburetor but now leaks fuel onto the hot exhaust manifold!!!! The carb. was fine until recently when the fuel filter was broken by my wife and very dark contaminants passed through to the mechanical fuel pump and on to the carb. Now the car dies when going uphill and leaks fuel after a 2-3 min. starting warm-up!!! From a cold engine the 55 starts o.k. then after 2-3 min. a small leak starts from the top of the carb. , near or in the Choke shaft area. The leak seems to start with a few fuel droplets apparently coming from the choke shaft end where the idle arm connects to, on the throttle linkage side facing the driver!!! First a drop or two, then a steady repetition of drops and after 4-5 min. of the engine warming up the drops become a spritz spray that pours all over the hot exhaust manifold, potentially creating an engine fire!!!!! No fire yet, but i know i could try and clean the carb. and see if it does the trick....but this carb is 52 years old and has many other problems as well... so i would like to hear your thoughts on what's causing this and a possible cure but i also i'm thinking of replacing the old carb. with the best Carburetor avail. that'll fit the stock manifold without any adapters!!!!!! Some people have suggested a carb. from a 1969 and earlier inline six engine!! What say you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, since my carb. problem probably originated from the gas tank, i'd like to replace that also!!!! Research has shown me it'd cost $500 to $800 bucks to replace the fuel tank-sending unit and fuel lines!!! So does anyone out there know of a fuel tank that'll fit my 55 , that comes from a "newer" car!!! (i.e.) Go to the junkyard (one of the newer parts and interchange parts yards....or....), and find a new gas tank that match's my originals dimension's complete with fuel p/up-sender-filter and maybe even a built-in fuel pump!!!!!

My 55's fuel tank is: (23" long x 22" wide x 8" high/deep)

My many, many Thanks to anyone who can aid me in this endeavor!!!!!!

ISLANDMAN!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

You can have your fuel tank cleaned and a coating applyed to the inside to seal it. Any rad shop usally offers this service. Then flush the fuel lines, if they are in good shape.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

my guess is that there is some trash stuck in the float needle and valve assembly, Your description sounds like it is flooding because the float is not able to cut off the fuel flow in the bowl and just continues to pour gass into the carb. I would start there, an easy fix. Another thought is that if the fuel filter was in there as of 55 then that may be the source of the contaminant and you could just be looking at cleaning/clearing the line and rebuild the carb. The tank , because it is gravity feed ( no internal fuel pump) I think I would try to figure out if it is rusted inside first, if not then a flush should do it , drop the line from the tank itself and see what comes out, make a decision from there, just replacing parts for the fun of it is costly and an unwise wast of $$$$$..... an yes be extremely careful and aware you are dealing with fuel here........... no smoking!! ha ha

Last edited by pepi; 03-05-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Many Thanks!!!!

HEY THANKS " PEPI "!!!!

I'll try cleaning the carb. I just rebuilt it less than a year ago, but it is the original Carburetor!!! When i did the rebuild i found at least a 1/4 cup of powdered rust inside!!!! That's why i strongly believe that the tank will have to be replaced!!! I checked into cleaning and sealing the fuel tank, but it would cost much more than a replacement! ($379.00 Canadian!!!). The fact that the car still ran with a 1/4 cup of rust powder in it is a testament to the reliability and quality of the tri-five Chevy's from the fifties!!!

Thank you for responding & giving your advice!!!

Islandman!!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM
55 chevy Mom

55 chev fuel tank

The filler neck to my tank was leaking to I went to the Old Car Center in Langley and bought a new seal for about $1.95. My fuel pump was also leaking and amd waiting for a new one from the US. But my sender unit is shot as well so i thought I should replace that and might as well put it all into a new tank instead of the original one. The new tank was $225.00. I pulled the old tank out yesterday and it is pretty solid. My 55 has a straight 6 as well. i thought this was a good price for a new tank. I have heard of that lining coming off the inside of tanks and gumming up the works. i wouldn't pay to have that done.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You're hijacking a 4 1/2 year old thread, much better off to start your own.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.