Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats the best ford tranny for street rods?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Heres something to think about though. Velocity equals torque, flow equals horsepower. If you spend 4g's on a huge set of heads, sure you will have a lot of top end horsepower, but zero low end torque. Thats why stock heads make a lot of low end torque, tiny ports, so you have a bunch of velocity goin through there. If you have a 5500lb car you WILL need a bunch of low end torque. You could get a really low gear ratio and advance your cam to get more torque but even then, you would have to spin really high rpms to reach the full potential of those big heads. If it is a street motor, i personally think that huge heads would not be a plus. If it were up to me, i would stick with intake ports at or below 180cc's with no bigger than 2.02 and 1.60 valves. Aluminum is always a plus, 25 pounds lighter per head, plus they cool better and allow a higher compression ratio. This is all just my opinion, debates are fun, but they get kinda tiring.