Hot Rod Forum banner

What's the best Hand Cleaner and/or Soap

12K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
I know there's a lot of opinions about which is the best hand cleaner and/or soap that removes oil and grease from the hands, but I'm sure some will stand out more than others.

I know gloves are good for keeping your hands clean, but I can't stand wearing them.

What's your opinion on which hand cleaner/soap for cleaning your hands when you're done working on your car?

Thanks in advance?

#6 ·
One thing I found over the years is many do a great job of cleaning my hands, but some of them were bad about drying out my skin.

Best advice I was given by a skin Dr about the dermatitis I would get, use a good lotion before beginning work and again after washing up at the end of the day.
Never had another case of dermatitis or cracked callouses.

#7 ·
dawn dishwashing detergent. it worked for me for 31 years in the repair business. it's cheep and doesn't dry your hands out. I also use gloves in a bottle, for some chemical protection, when I'm getting elbow deep in it. my wife works at a local hospital and brought me some several years ago. been using it ever since. great stuff and also available online.

Russ

#8 ·
hoops said:
I know there's a lot of opinions about which is the best hand cleaner and/or soap that removes oil and grease from the hands, but I'm sure some will stand out more than others.

I know gloves are good for keeping your hands clean, but I can't stand wearing them.

What's your opinion on which hand cleaner/soap for cleaning your hands when you're done working on your car?

Thanks in advance?
Transmission Fluid. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Northstar T said:
dawn dishwashing detergent. it worked for me for 31 years in the repair business. it's cheep and doesn't dry your hands out. I also use gloves in a bottle, for some chemical protection, when I'm getting elbow deep in it. my wife works at a local hospital and brought me some several years ago. been using it ever since. great stuff and also available online.

Russ
I've always used dishwashing detergent as well. Seems to work better for me than all the orange-bottled products.

#15 ·
Try Murphy oil soap. Its made for cleaning wood. I found out about this a couple months ago when I got some Gorilla glue on my hands. It was the only thing I found that removed the glue. I've been using it since and it works great on grease and dirt and doesn't dry your hands out.

#16 ·
hoops said:
Old Fool, the idea about the hand lotion sounds good. I think I'll try it cause I always have cracked skin on my thumb mainly, but on other fingers as well.

Thanks.
A lot of guys I worked with liked to use Bag Balm, it worked great but felt "greasy" to me. I found

and
worked well for my skin, I prefer the Aveeno though. I carried a tube in my lunch pail and have a tube in the top of my tool box at home too.

#19 ·
Ive used many over the years I kind of keep going back to gojo! But no cleaner ever gets the black out of the deep cracks in my hands from 50 years of over use, scares and wear and tear!!! But when you eat chicken it seams like it cleans your finger tips spotless!!! :D Now if some one could make hand cleaner that could clean like that it would be earth moving LOL!! :D

Chris

#22 ·
I received a sample of Bear Paw a while back. This is about the best cleaner that I have found. It's gritty like Boraxo (which is my second choice) but it also has lanolin in it plus some other stuff. I get really greasy working on dies in a fab shop and I have yet come across anything Bear Paw won't get out. It also does not dry your hands out and especially around the cuticles of your fingers.

here is the site http://www.bearpawhandcleaner.com/

#25 ·
"But no cleaner ever gets the black out of the deep cracks in my hands from 50 years of over use, scares and wear and tear!!! "

Red Scotch Brite and Ivory bar soap, the heavy duty pads NOT the painter scuff pads.

It will take off almost anything (paint, primer, glaze, bondo, grease, chassis black, tar, ect.), does clean out the cracks and does not dry out your skin. I would suggest using a hand lotion after you dry off.

It does not remove scars and it doesn't like windshield urethane (use solvent first) but everything else comes right off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.