Whats the best way to build a 383 engine???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 09:30 AM
BLACK BEAST

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Whats the best way to build a 383 engine????

I got a 350 in my 1980 Z/28.I want to make it into a 383 and was wondering what the best way to build it would be(intake,headers,cam,heads,etc...)I really wanted a 454 really badly but It's just going to cost to much right now.So I figure I mine as well work with what I got.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2002, 09:49 AM
banned

neil it depends on what you want to do... you can't just copy what someone says to do and expect to love it you have to find the setup yourself... or you can take it to a shop and talk to them but that'll cost you
Old 12-01-2002, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

the best way... well the easyist way for you would to but a rotating assembly from paw or speedpro with crank, rods and pistons, they retaill for about 1200 with gaskets, barings , rings, and so on. its a surefire way to go, you can also choose desired compression and a cam to match. just remember to buy street stuff for a street car. and you can have a lot of fun for not too much money (with street stuff i mean stay away from jessel belt drives and other mucho dinnero trinkets)

personally i would buy two turbos from 2,3L fords and force feed the sucker. then build a homebrew waterinjection and save the intercooler. for racing mix water and methanol 50/50 and up the volume....

just goes to show that there is true wisdom to stonedchihuahua's words about other peoples advice. anyway get the PAW catalouge and start from there
Old 12-01-2002, 12:44 PM
BLACK BEAST

Last photo:

[quote] you can't just copy what someone says to do and expect to love it you have to find the setup yourself <hr></blockquote>
Now did I say that I was going to copy what someone told me to do.NO I DID NOT!!!! I am just looking for ideas and opinions.So if anybody has any lets hear them.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:16 PM

When you say best way to build a 383 are you refering to the best parts? Best affordable way? Need more info. Is money no object? What are your targets as far as comp,rpm,end use-daily driver,strip. I have found everyone here is glad to answer questions if given enough info. Just remember what is best for one is not best for all.Are you looking for a long rod or short rod engine is also another thing to consider,this will also affect your cam choice. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:00 PM
BLACK BEAST

Last photo:

Its going to be a summer car.I will probably drive it mostly on weekends and some week days.my price range is about 3,000 dollars canadian.I usually race my car on weekends on the summer.I want it to be pretty fast.Like 12 second 1/4 mile.Is that enough money to do that?This is my firs engine I am building.

[ December 01, 2002: Message edited by: neil madsen ]</p>
Old 12-01-2002, 06:37 PM

ok i got it. first decide weather or not you will ever spray this motor, or at least how much you will spray it. (NOs) if you will and its gonna be 150 or more then start with a forged balanced rotating assembly with 6.0 rods. second decide on compression ratio. like how much do you want to spend on a gallon of gas. then zero deck the block. grind rod bolts for clearance of the cam. achieve your compression now by looking at what pistons you have, vrs milling the heads vrs head gasket size. do a piston to valve clearance check. make it one thousandth clearance. then go!!!! if you dont spray it plan on a cast bottom end. that will save you $$$$.
im fixin to do one of these and this is the direction i will be going. i hope its the right direction im still learning. good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

Yes, i am aware of the date but i feel the topic is still relevant as ever so let's please not get all excited(over nothing) about that.

Now that we got that out of the way, my first question/opinion is that i feel if the block and cyl walls check out then i think it would be better not to bore out. And if you use the 3.75" crank, then you end up with 377, not 383----is the extra 6 inches really going to make a difference? i'm thinking durability here.

As far as the "best" way, i'm thinking for me it would be to buy a 383HT. These retail for about $4500. The only problem is i'm hearing some durability problems with these engine---which are made in mexico.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Since this is an old topic now is the right time for this NEW answer.

Hasn't the 383 been done to death now? That was the hot engine in the 90's, for crying out loud. There are numerous threads in the knowledge base on how to build them. Google 383 if you can't figure it out by now. BTW, while on the subject, let's just 86 all threads about 500-600 HP 383's. That's not what that engine was designed to do. Put 'em right next to those 600 HP 327's. You want a 600 HP small block on a budget, get an LS1 or LS2 and have at it. 90% of the people asking the question can't handle the HP and their car can't handle the HP. It's a joke.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Yes this post is 9 years old and technology has been improved a bunch since then. Sorry but I just don't get your reasoning.....the best way for you would be to spend $4500 for an engine that you hear has durability problems and is made in Mexico ???? You could find a nice truck roller block for cheap and buy a complete Scat 383 assembly, a set of Vortec heads and with the right cam and induction set up have a 500 hp engine....that wouldn't have a durability problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

i understand the 383 thing has been around for probably 20, maybe 30 years but i'm new to it.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Hmmmm....Dart has complete shorblocks available in 372 and 400 sizes for under $4000. Very interesting....
Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Don't know where you get your information, 327, since I am regularly in the plants here in the states and canada that build LS engines. Whatever. 383's are yesterday. Plain and simple.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

What's your problem....as usual, and what difference does it make where I get my info. The guy is talking about 383's not LS engines so that's what I made reference to. Yes it's been done to death but new guy's may not have the VAST experience and knowledge like long time members..... so if you have nothing but negative remarks to add then stay out of it.....plain and simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to 327NUT For This Useful Post:
Sundance7055 (07-06-2014)
Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

327 nuts thanks for standing up for the new guys
The Following User Says Thank You to louis165 For This Useful Post:
Sundance7055 (07-06-2014)
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.