Whats the BEST or WORST car you have ever owned? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 09:53 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Whats the BEST or WORST car you have ever owned?

This should be interesting. Guys whats the best or worst car you've ever owned, put them both down if you like. If you're to young to have owned a car or to have owned enough to post then put down a car your parents had that you remember being a runner or lemon. I'll start.
Best Car
My 85 Caprice, my avatar, my first car. Got it with a 110,000 miles on it. Fixed what it needed and did some cosmetic work. Never needs anything, starts at the touch of the key in any weather, and has never let me down. It made it through the stage I went through my first year of driving where I hammered it. I have alot of respect for it, I drive it everyday. Great car.
Worst Car
Not mine, my fathers 84 LeSabre got it with 60,000 miles, slow 307, always had carb problems, the 200M burnt up at 100,000 miles, had factory paint issues, 120,000 the posi rear went(didn't need a posi it would hardly turn a tire in the grass) when the rear blew it took out the fresh TH350 that had replaced 200M. My dad was so fed up with the car he gave it away.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2004, 10:12 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

That's easy. the Worst car I EVER had was a 85 Audi coupeGT,
inline5, 5spd. got it from mycousin, ran for a week, parts would
break off in my hand. gave it to my frend and he junked it, as it would have cost him $1000 for a K jetronic FI system.

best car. my 77 Chevy big 10(3/4 ton, 5 lug) stock 355 V8,
993 heads, Edelborck carb, TH350 trans, Sony CD player.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Worst car was by far my '81 Mustang, what a piece. It had the worst turning radius imaginable for that small of a car. It had an oil-leaking 4 banger. The cowl area was crushed from when I took it to have it smogged. The mechanic didn't close the hood all the way so when I drove off it opened and bent the crap out of it.
It was an ugly rootbeer brown with a tan interior. I got it for free from a friend.

Best car would be my current '73 Camaro. The front end has never been rebuilt, just the shocks, and it still drives like a new car down the freeway. Disc brakes stock and all the options. Paid
$800 for it with it's stock 307. It has no rust and has a nice interior, but right now it is primered black. The tranny blew up a month after I bought it but it gave me an excuse for a new one with higher stall etc. Now it is at an estimated 458 hp with 472 lb./ft. of torque and is very streetable. I drive it to work everyday.

My wife's '73 Challenger is super clean and looks the best of all our Hot Rods. I do all of the wrenching and couldn't get her interested in going much farther than the 4 barrel carb and intake, and the ceramic coated headers. I can't say it is really my car but I think because of it's looks people would say that was the nicest one.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Worst ? That one's EASY!!!! Hands down a 1982 Datsun King Cab 4WD pickup. I won't even start to tell you what all was wrong with it, you'd give up and skip to the next reply !

Best ? That's a tough one.......

1974 Monte Carlo with a 400 SBC (still have the motor ). It was headed for the junkyard when I got it, victim of a spoiled rich kid that trashed it. He thought he'd ruined the front end by jumping a curb. The genius had replaced the bent rims and flattened rubber with wheels from a Ford, the wheels fit over the studs but didn't tighten down right and wobbled so Mommy and Daddy were going to junk it. $50, one set of wheels and tires (which I already had), a valve job, new cam & lifters and exhaust system and I had one of the most dependable, best driving beaters I have ever owned. It would start in sub-zero weather when none of my friend's cars would even turn over.

1986 Toyota 4WD PU.If it had been an extended cab and had a V-6 it would have been PERFECT.

1992 S-10 LWB with a 4.3 V-6, 700R4 and 3.08 gears. Sold it at 151K because the box was falling off, It has since made several trips from Illinois to Colorado and back. Should have kept it and fixed the box.

My current '94 Buick LeSabre. 152,000 and purrs like a kitten.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Worst....by a long shot....85 Hyundia Steller. Piece of crap. Did the head gasket 3 times. cracked head twice. Didn't even have electronic ingition, still points, in 85? Body rotted off too.

Best.....my 51 Ford Pickup....super dependable, I have taken it everywhere. Towed my 19 ft house trailer out west to Indianapolis and down east to Nova Scotia. Of course, it should be great. I put it together myself....lol.

Budget RVs
Old 02-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

My worse and best cars

The 92 Eclipse I gave to my son for a present and hopped up for him after it blew the head gasket and warped the head and cracked the block and blew the radiator and the best car is my 53 chevy pro-street.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:

Probably not a popular statement, but...

I have to admit that the best car I've ever owned was a 89' Honda CRX. It was my first car. It wasn't an SI so it was slow, but man, that thing could take a beating. I got into 5 wrecks in it( 1 my fault), I hit a curb doing about 60 head on and didn't even mess up the alignment. I put 120k miles on it in addition to the 60k that was already there and nothing NOTHING ever went wrong with it. I never got it repaired from any of the accidents, pocketed the insurance money( can I say this?) and actually came out making more money on the car from the claims than I had spent on it in the first place. Kept it for six years and sold it in running condition.

Pencilneck314
Old 02-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

this is a fun thread, I have only owned about 5 or 6 cars in my life. Hands down, however, the WORST CAR IN EXISTENCE is the 89 ford tempo I got as a first car. I was glad to get it, and grateful to have a car. The crap manifold cracked in half and it spent forever in the shop getting it fixed. Exhaust still leaked after that. Water pump blew up in traffic a week later. Always ran like crap RPM's were all over the place and honestly, I took really good care of that car. Electrical stuff inside the car was pretty crappy, ac was really poorly designed. The tensioner for the serpentine belt broke in twomade out of pot metal aluminum, wtf) and to replace it it was wedged btw the side of the motor and the frame of the car, UNDER THE MOTOR MOUNT. What a junk pile, no engineering went into that car.

To be honest, the bird is one of the better cars I've owned, but I have had a few issues with it. Nothing that was part of an engineering problem with the car, stuff I caused by doing stuff incorrectly.

Jeep Cherokeem 95, best car ever. 150k, starts at a touch, doesn't burn a drop.

I bought a 91 festiva to drive when I was re-doing the motor in my truck. Put 35k on it in a year and a half, it leaked oil like an sob, had horrible crap exhaust, but I couldn't kill it. Bought it for 900, sold it for 500. Basically rented the pos for 1.5 years for 400 bucks. Nice.

K
Old 02-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Worst: 78 Chevette 4 speed 4dr, as crude as one can get. Got it free but with plugged cats and a slipping clutch. Fixed up the clutch but never knew about the cats until it burnt the exhaust valves and left me stranded on the highway. Water pump went without warning and had to fill it with ditch water once. It was actually very reliable but gutless, I can't imagine driving a auto version of the car...that must be brutally slow. It did haul a lot of wood for me to my place in the country when I was commuting and getting free wood offcuts from a wood manufacturing facility near where I worked. Nearly everyday I would travel 110km home with the hatch full to the roof with 2X6 offcuts for firewood. Good thing it was torquey.

Best: That one is easy, 91 VW Jetta Diesel non-turbo. It is equally as gutless as the Chevette but rock solid reliable and only needs oil changes and air filters for tune ups. Got over 350 000 on it now and except for the rock chips still looks and drives like new, original clutch in it too. Has one of the nicest set of seats I have ever had in a car and the interior room is impressive, my SHO is not much bigger. It won't top 130 km on the highway and passing is just something you don't do on a regular basis but it bucks headwinds with ease and holds speed at 120km no problem even loaded. I actually don't mind driving it even though it is so slow because the mechanicals work nicely and driving fast with it is a matter of momentum which is actually a lot more fun in the city. The 100 ft/pd torque at nearly 0 rpm makes it one heck of a stump puller for a car that has only a 1.6L engine. I once towed 2400 pds and the motor never complained. Had to be careful of the tail wagging the dog with that load.

I had an 87 version once too with the turbo and liked the extra power much better, it was worn out at the same mileage from the extra boost unfortunately. This 91 still has great compression and actually is very tight. I can see it doing 500 000k no problem. The chassis handles well and lifts the inside rear tire in a tight corner if you want too, the corrosion resistance designed into the body/chassis design is such a great idea I wonder why everyone else haven't figured it out yet? I guess the domestic manufacturers don't want your car to last forever. Next time your driving around look at any others you see on the road, most are rust free even at 13 years old.

Gets close to 60MPG and for a daily driver that's pretty hard to beat, seems to be invisible to police too!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Absolutely the worst car was a 64 VW Beetle , 55 mph max , 24 mpg if you were lucky ,slightest bit of damp on the road and it was all over the place , would never start - I hate Beetles to this day .

Best car , 1990 Peugeot 405 wagon 2.0 litre injected petrol ,35 mpg, never ever let me down in over 240,000 miles . Was still running sweet when I traded it in against my present 98 Peugeot 406 turbo diesel wagon that has now covered 140,000 and gets me 50 mpg @ a steady 100 mph on the motorway .
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 PM
9 Second '63

Last photo:

I've owned some real junkers, but ya get what ya pay for....

Biggest disappointment was a brand new '93 Mustang 5.0 Coupe. It had about 800 miles on it when I took it to the car wash and most of the paint blew off both quarter panels. It had an awful driveline vibration at anything over 100 mph. And it was a slug. I never bothered taking it to the track, but I doubt if it would have gotten into the 15s.

One of the good ones is my wife's present '97 T-Bird. Bought it new, now has about 100K on it. Runs, drives, and looks great.

Probably the best bang for the buck was a '69 Biscayne 4 door, 6 cyl powerglide that I bought for a winter beater back in '76. Paid $50.00 for it. It would start right up at 20 below. Then I'd drive to work and do service calls on late model Caddies and Lincolns that wouldn't start.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

I have only owned one car and that is my current car. Itrs a 1978 Nova, it has a inline six in it but it is dependable. Only broke down 2 times since i have had it. once was a radiator hose blew. And another time my batery rubbed a hole in to the wires going to my altenator and my battery went dead leaving work. Other than that it runs great. Bouught it for 600 bucks and has 127,000 or so miles on it.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

ahh, memories
my 1st car, 1985 chev cavelier station wagon
this car would die @ a light, the only way to get it going, was put it in nuetral, floor it, wait for the light to turn green and put it in drive ... screeeeeeech
the first light it was fun .. but 20 more lights till you get home
Old 02-16-2004, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Best: 82 Firebird with a modified 350 and th350 trans, fiberglass twin turbo 'vette hood, 4 into 1 sidepipes, Keystone Klassics.........

Worst: I have never owned an import or chrysler product, so I guess I never had a bad one.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 11:17 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.