Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   whats cheaper, buy or build a 383 sbc? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/whats-cheaper-buy-build-383-sbc-231590.html)

Pauls_camaro 04-07-2013 11:22 AM

whats cheaper, buy or build a 383 sbc?

I have a 01 camaro and im looking to build or buy a 383 what would be cheaper build it myself , or just buy from a builder ?

vinniekq2 04-07-2013 11:34 AM

depends o n your experience?
Some crate engines are a bargain,not cheap,just good value.If you buy some kits that you assemble yourself then that is sometimes the answer.
What is it you want? Lets talk about whats the best way to get there.What are the machine shops like in your area and will they help a do it your selfer.Do you know much about finding cheap/free horse power when assembling?What is your budget and purpose of engine? Do you need forged pistons? hundreds of questions,,,,

tresi 04-07-2013 02:10 PM

Unless you've done it before in most cases an entry level crate motor will probably be cheaper. Not that the engine will be cheaper but it's all the tools you'll need the break the bank. Of course this depend on how much you send out. Things like torque wrenchs, mics, ect add up fast. With a crate motor you know what you'll have to pay. Doing it yourself the cost of machine work usually exceeds the cost of parts. Of course once you buy good tools they are yours for life.

s-10again! 04-08-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresi (Post 1663931)
Unless you've done it before in most cases an entry level crate motor will probably be cheaper. Not that the engine will be cheaper but it's all the tools you'll need the break the bank. Of course this depend on how much you send out. Things like torque wrenchs, mics, ect add up fast. With a crate motor you know what you'll have to pay. Doing it yourself the cost of machine work usually exceeds the cost of parts. Of course once you buy good tools they are yours for life.

^X2...the value is with the crate engine. if you want this to be your FIRST build, then it would be wise to start with a simple rebuild. jumping into the horsepower ring with absolutely no experience is not a very good idea especially cost. valve spring tool, chicken foot, ring compressor, torque wrench, engine stand, cherry picker, measureing equipment etc, etc... and a ton of pestering questions aimed toward the pros. stick with the crate unless building an engine is your passion then stick with the value...the crate.

69 widetrack 04-08-2013 07:41 AM

Again X2 on every post. I've built countless engines in the past, the real long ago past, the last engine I built that went fast was a 428 Pontiac...that was over 10 years ago. I am now in the throws of a another Pontiac build and when it comes to the engine...I will build it...but, I'll have the pros watching every step, looking over my shoulder. As Vinnie said, I don't know how to unlock every bit of free Horse Power...and watching Horse Power TV...well that's great but wait till you start building and one little thing you forgot...Oops, NO warranty, that's where you say woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Ray

techinspector1 04-08-2013 12:49 PM

Crate motor.
1. Easy
2. Cheap (comparatively)
3. Warranty

69 widetrack 04-08-2013 01:21 PM

I'm sure I don't need mention this but just in case. If you buy a crate engine from a builder make sure you choose one that has a proven track record...both with building the engine, producing the longevity and power that they claim and how they stand behind what they build with respect to warranty. Anybody can offer you the moon when it comes to warranty...offering and coming through are two different things.

Ray

Pauls_camaro 04-12-2013 02:29 PM

Well I'm mainly concerned about wire harnesses and
Converting from v6

Pauls_camaro 04-12-2013 02:31 PM

It's a auto now and I want to put a 6 speed in
I'm pretty sure I have to swap out the rear end and possibly front end I was thinking about getting the front end cradle assembly off a v8 but wasn't sure if that would work

69 widetrack 04-12-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauls_camaro (Post 1665674)
Converting from v6

If that's your main concern than it doesn't matter if it's a 283 or a 383.

69 widetrack 04-12-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauls_camaro (Post 1665675)
It's a auto now and I want to put a 6 speed in
I'm pretty sure I have to swap out the rear end and possibly front end I was thinking about getting the front end cradle assembly off a v8 but wasn't sure if that would work

Probably the best information or advice anybody can give you right now is to figure out exactly what you want, how big a budget you have and take it from there. Everything your talking about doing costs a fair amount of cash unless you can do the major amount of work yourself or have friends that can do it for you for free.

gearheadslife 04-12-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauls_camaro (Post 1665674)
Converting from v6

nightmre
go get a v8 car..
a 01 would be a ls1 based engine.. v8
a gen 1 or lt gen2 isn't gonna fly with the feds and epa..

Pauls_camaro 04-13-2013 09:52 AM

Yea there is no budget and I'm going to be doing most of well all the work besides the machining
An do don't want just a ls1 to simple of a solution .
I've worked on 350s for a long time just have never made a 383 or done a v6 to v8

Pauls_camaro 04-13-2013 09:54 AM

I k ow it's going to be a beochhh
But I got some time on my hands

Pauls_camaro 04-13-2013 09:56 AM

I talked to one guy about the swap he put a ls6 in his from a v6 and Iight just follow the path he did except 383 and for the wireing harness not sure what do do about that I don't think I can use one out of an ls1 / lt1