Whats the cheapest way to do this? 283 rebuild vs. 350 crate/rebuilt? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Im-pal-a?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question Whats the cheapest way to do this? 283 rebuild vs. 350 crate/rebuilt?

I've been reevaluating my engine options here and I'm in need of some very general cost estimates.

I've got a 283 right now, so option 1 is to rebuild it. I'm looking for a mild built with at least 275hp.

Option 2 is to get a rebuilt 350, there are thousands of companies that do this setup and I'm kinda at a loss of who to look at. Plus, I'd have to buy the engine as well as any other costs involved, whereas I already HAVE the 283

Option 3 is to get a crate 350 and I have the same problem as option 2 with not knowing whats a good company.

Whats going to be the most cost effective. I'm going to install the engine myself, but not do the assembly. Also, probably a stupid question, but I'm assuming a 350 would be a direct drop in with the mounts for the 283 (64 Impala)

Next step, I need some links of reputable, yet not bank breakingly expensive engine builders.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 06:53 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Get a crate motor from GM, they have a great warranty, and different 350 motors at I think are low prices compared to a rebuild. They even have a rebuilt 350 from GM with every parts new for $1300. A 350/350 for around $2000.
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_eng/index.shtml

http://www.usdieselengines.com/GM%20...%20Engines.htm

Last edited by 1BAD80; 09-03-2003 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD80
They even have a rebuilt 350 from GM with every parts new for $1300. http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_eng/index.shtml

That is NOT a rebuilt engine. It is a NEW engine completely assembled with all new parts. Complete except intake and carb, fuel pump, fuel pump pushrod, harmonic balancer, distributor, oil filter adapter and exhaust headers. Comes with a three year 50,000 mile warranty. Doesn't matter who does the installation as long as it is in a GM vehicle.

Last edited by Frisco; 09-03-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

One thing though...a 283 is a tough engine, can be bored real big to the point its past a 327 and built strong. It all depends on what you want to do with it. One thing to look out for is the engines that come from Advanced Auto, AutoZone, etc, as many a person has had trouble with these. They will make them good but you have to figure after you put it in, something goes wrong, you have to pull it out, pull your stuff back off, etc. All your time is lost. There are all kinds of crate motors out there so pick on that is reputible if you decide to go that route. If you decide to go with your engine just pick a reputable builder to help you along. One thing to remember that before the 350 sb's all that was out there in the way of Chevy's was the 265's 283's and the 327's and they could all be built to run strong.

Kevin
Old 09-03-2003, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

I had the same dilemma.

I bought the GM Targetmaster 350 universal engine. Cost about $1250. That was about 7 years ago.

I love it! Best thing I did, very easy. I don't have friends in machine shops so the fear of assembling it after paying god knows how much then having a problem was too great.

I would buy the new engine again.

Last edited by evltwin; 09-03-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Great advice.........

Break down and spend the money..........buy a new 350.

I rebuilt the 283 (that has been in my 40 Ford since 1957) and I spent more money than the price of a new 350 crate base line engine.

New pistons & rings, new camshaft, springs and lifters, bore the block with torque plates, all new bearings, oil pump and valve job. Add balancing and a gasket set along with vatting the pieces make for a bill of over $1200. The heads needed guides and 8 new exhaust valves. I went ahead and put all 16 valves in new.

I knew that the 283 would be more $$$ going in. I decided that for me......this was the best way. The 283 had been in the car for 45 years and the rest of the 40 Ford driveline....transmission and rear end......would be stressed too much with a high horse (and torquey) 350.

If you have to pay someone to build the 283.......even more $$$.

I suggest the crate 350

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-03-2003, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

cheapest way

If your looking for the cheapest way the crate is the way to go.I just got done with a 283 project that cost over 4 grand.The only parts that wasn't bought new was the crank and block.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
......a 283 can be bored ........ to the point its past a 327
IF you have the right block "some" 283's could be bored out to 4.000" which made them a 301 but the last time I looked no one was making "off-the-shelf" pistons for those or 302 Z-28's . You can get cu$tom pi$ton$ made though. I know several guys with good 327 blocks and 283 cranks that were all hot to build a "302" until they went looking for pistons. Maybe that's changed but I doubt it.

My vote is crate motor all the way....................
Old 09-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Im-pal-a?

Last photo:

Well that pretty much answers that huh

Thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Last photo:

NOS 302 pistons are still availiable from select GM dealers. A friend of mine who is restoring a 69 Z rebuilt a "DZ" block with NOS 302 GM pistons.

Vince
Old 09-03-2003, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

302 pistons

Yes they are hard to find that's the reason i decided to go with a 60 over bore.The pistons were also limited on that somewhat.I went with the keith black part number kb166 they are vett pistons with .100 domes.The other hard to find parts were the rods nobody seems to sell 5.7 small journal rods anymore either finally found them in the heavy duty H beam rated up to 900 hp made by proline.The rods and pistons cost me close to a grand alone.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

283 vs 350

Stick with the 283. Grab a Vortec intake and GMPP heads or, an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake with World Torquer 305 heads. Dare to be different!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.