What's Chipboard? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You would not want to do a door panel out of this stuff, it's way too thin and not water resistant. It's as thick as the cardboard on the back of a tablet of paper, kind of like the cardboard on a shoe box. Make your door panels out of 1/8" masonite, ABS, PVC foamboard, or black waterboard. ABS is the most expensive, followed by PVC, with Black waterboard being the cheapest. I don't know what Masonite costs, and my personal preference is to use one of the other three. Chipboard costs $47 from Uline for 100 sheets of .030" thick sheets. I prefer .040" thick chipboard, but that's just me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. 1/8" ABS costs about $60.00 for one 4' by 8' sheet depending on color (black is cheaper than white). Available from United States Plastic Corp by mail order, or www.usplastic.com online. I have no idea what it would cost to ship to you from their plant in Lima Ohio.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This black waterboard could also be used for rear package trays / etc??

Did I read somewhere you could get it at a lumber yard? How about a Lowe's or Home depot?

Is there another name for it? what is it normally used for?

Thanks for the help BTW.

I am getting excited to try some interior stuff. It's the only thing I have never attempted on a vehicle.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Black waterboard would be available through an upholstery shop or auto trim shop. It is not available at a home center. Yes, it would be perfect for a package shelf. It has no other use other than panels for car interiors. (I take it back, I also make tackstrips ( the strips around door frames held in place by metal tabs that windlace is tacked to) out of it by gluing two or more layers together and cutting it in 1/2" strips.) It is also known as automotive panel board. It is basically black, water resistant, very high density cardboard 1/8" thick. I get it in sheets that are 39" by 65" which will generally make one front and one rear door panel. This stuff has been around for years, and was used as the product of choice for interior panels for the car manufacturers for a long time. I'm guessing it went out of style in the late 50's when other alternatives became available. The old stuff was nowhere as good as the modern equivalent. It is extremely versatile. It cuts very cleanly with a utility knife. You can sew through it with an industrial sewing machine. Look at the door panels on the '47 Ford 5 window coupe in my project journal....all those panels (front, rear, and kick) were made from black waterboard.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
lbell101: Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for the info. That's a good price for 100 sheets. My supplier gets $40 (wholesale) for a 25# bundle, which I think is about 100 sheets, but I'm not sure. I use the chipboard in this thickness for patterns, and I use a lot of it.

Hemi: Happy Thanksgiving. My DAP Landau top and trim contact adhesive says not to thin it either. Spraying contact adhesive is a whole different ballgame. You need a fluid nozzle in your spray gun at least 1.8 MM for it to spray right, or a cheap spray gun with loose tolerances. It does NOT come out smooth like paint and never will. I got some advice to spray a coat on both surfaces, let it dry and do three coats that same way before bonding. That works very well. How much does that Helmetin green cost? When I come up to Ontario to fish next spring I'm going to check it out. What stores carry it up there? Would they have it in Dryden?

Dan
Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. The price for Helmitin varies from $40.00 cdn to $75.00 cdn, depending where you buy it. I only know of 2 places to purchase this stuff so I can't say gor sure if it's available in Dryden. Here in Canada, it's a pain in the ***** to get specialty supplies, usually we have to shop south of the border, or pay an arm and a leg for stuff.It's twice as frustrating and twice the cost to build a car street rod here. Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Obviously

Chip's board when he doesn't have anything to do or is doing something he doesn't want to be doing.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.