Hot Rod Forum banner

What's Chipboard?

10K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  WildBill 
#1 ·
I bought myself a cheapo 'industrial' machine, a steamer, and the "Custom Auto Interiors" book. I'm all ready to get started but I'm not sure what exactly the item "chipboard" used in the book is. For me it's always been the 1/4 to 3/4 inch panels made from wood chips and glue or even the stuff made from sawdust and glue which I would call particle board. Anyway, the stuff in the book is thin and flexable. Does this product go by any other name and what's the usual source for it?
Thanks!

Larry

#2 ·
Chip board is a cardboard type material with no corrugated filler.

Similar to a shoebox material, it is thin, easy to cut & fold, will hold a shape & is much sturdier than paper. Probably much easier to work with than cardboard.

A paper supply store will carry it (commercial printing supplier)

Office Depot/Office Max will have the posterboard that the kids use in school, but that is not nearly as sturdy.

This stuff is available in different thicknesses to suit your application.

Particleboard------glued together sawdust
Waferboard--------glued together wood chips

Bryan

#6 ·
lbell101: What online source did you find for the chipboard? I buy mine from a local printing shop (they use it for the back of note pads) and two of my upholstery supply houses, but they all seem kind of expensive. I tried the Uline website, and they have it but not the large sizes. What did you have to pay for it?

Hemi: I agree with you about the arm rest, I thought that was a flimsy way to do it too. I also thought just attaching the armrest with contact cement was asking for trouble too. I don't think you'd want to have a hand hold and pull the door shut that way without attaching the armrest to the door frame some way. Did you figure out how to spray the Helmetin green yet?

#7 ·
Yes, that arm rest does seem not so strong. Especially the attachment. I do think the guy does nice work.
Uline is where I ordered the 26 x 38 sheets from. They are super fast on delivery usually.
1 CS S-6419 26X38"X.022 CHIPBOARD $47.000 $47.00
I'm not sure if it's a good price or not.

Larry

#8 ·
That seems a little rich$ we used to use a black panel board ( cardboard ) with a thin coating on it to build our panel's( $10-15) then switched to 1/8 mahogany door skins about ( $20 ) but we now prefer to use ABS 4x8 sheet $100 but its the best and last the longest if your going to do it I believe to do it right the first time, and only pay for it once unless the budget won't allow.
Jason

#9 ·
As far as spraying the Helmitin, I spoke to the manufacturer yesterday and he told me that it doesn't spray very well, but that's the way it's supposed to be. He said that the lumpiness is designed into the product so that it actually builds thick for better adhesion. He also mentioned not to thin the product as it will weaken the bond.( I think in the same book that I have it states that the author thins his glue 25 %).I tend to believe the manufacturer. My problem is that I've been spraying cars for so long, I expect my glue to lay as flat as clear coat.Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab

#10 ·
lbell101: Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for the info. That's a good price for 100 sheets. My supplier gets $40 (wholesale) for a 25# bundle, which I think is about 100 sheets, but I'm not sure. I use the chipboard in this thickness for patterns, and I use a lot of it.

Hemi: Happy Thanksgiving. My DAP Landau top and trim contact adhesive says not to thin it either. Spraying contact adhesive is a whole different ballgame. You need a fluid nozzle in your spray gun at least 1.8 MM for it to spray right, or a cheap spray gun with loose tolerances. It does NOT come out smooth like paint and never will. I got some advice to spray a coat on both surfaces, let it dry and do three coats that same way before bonding. That works very well. How much does that Helmetin green cost? When I come up to Ontario to fish next spring I'm going to check it out. What stores carry it up there? Would they have it in Dryden?

Dan

#12 ·
chip board..

we used chip board at my last place of employment as dividers for large sheets of paper....If i am not mistaken you can get it from suppliers of cardboard boxes..abd you are right it is the same stuff that cereal boxes,shoe boxes,etc... are made of only thicker....

#13 ·
ajbcc2 said:
we used chip board at my last place of employment as dividers for large sheets of paper....If i am not mistaken you can get it from suppliers of cardboard boxes..abd you are right it is the same stuff that cereal boxes,shoe boxes,etc... are made of only thicker....

I have been in Printing since I was 14----I always knew what it was, just that most places I got it from was wholesale printing supplies. Most of these places do not cater to the general public.

Bryan

#14 ·
The chipboard from Uline is only comes a maximum of .030 thick, and the stuff I get from my supplier is .040 thick. I used the thinner stuff before, but didn't care for it. I guess I'll stick to what I've been using.

Dan

#15 ·
This is hilarious. I wandered into this section to pop the question . . . and much to my surprise - here it is.

BTW, I also have the custom interiors book.

Hobby Lobby. I can do that.

Is it okay to make whole door panels out of the stuff? Someone suggested ABS plastic sheets. I like that idea.

$100 for how many sheets?? Surely more than a few. . . although plastic resin is high right these days.

#16 ·
You would not want to do a door panel out of this stuff, it's way too thin and not water resistant. It's as thick as the cardboard on the back of a tablet of paper, kind of like the cardboard on a shoe box. Make your door panels out of 1/8" masonite, ABS, PVC foamboard, or black waterboard. ABS is the most expensive, followed by PVC, with Black waterboard being the cheapest. I don't know what Masonite costs, and my personal preference is to use one of the other three. Chipboard costs $47 from Uline for 100 sheets of .030" thick sheets. I prefer .040" thick chipboard, but that's just me.

#17 ·
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. 1/8" ABS costs about $60.00 for one 4' by 8' sheet depending on color (black is cheaper than white). Available from United States Plastic Corp by mail order, or www.usplastic.com online. I have no idea what it would cost to ship to you from their plant in Lima Ohio.

#18 ·
This black waterboard could also be used for rear package trays / etc??

Did I read somewhere you could get it at a lumber yard? How about a Lowe's or Home depot?

Is there another name for it? what is it normally used for?

Thanks for the help BTW.

I am getting excited to try some interior stuff. It's the only thing I have never attempted on a vehicle.

#19 ·
Black waterboard would be available through an upholstery shop or auto trim shop. It is not available at a home center. Yes, it would be perfect for a package shelf. It has no other use other than panels for car interiors. (I take it back, I also make tackstrips ( the strips around door frames held in place by metal tabs that windlace is tacked to) out of it by gluing two or more layers together and cutting it in 1/2" strips.) It is also known as automotive panel board. It is basically black, water resistant, very high density cardboard 1/8" thick. I get it in sheets that are 39" by 65" which will generally make one front and one rear door panel. This stuff has been around for years, and was used as the product of choice for interior panels for the car manufacturers for a long time. I'm guessing it went out of style in the late 50's when other alternatives became available. The old stuff was nowhere as good as the modern equivalent. It is extremely versatile. It cuts very cleanly with a utility knife. You can sew through it with an industrial sewing machine. Look at the door panels on the '47 Ford 5 window coupe in my project journal....all those panels (front, rear, and kick) were made from black waterboard.

#20 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
lbell101: Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for the info. That's a good price for 100 sheets. My supplier gets $40 (wholesale) for a 25# bundle, which I think is about 100 sheets, but I'm not sure. I use the chipboard in this thickness for patterns, and I use a lot of it.

Hemi: Happy Thanksgiving. My DAP Landau top and trim contact adhesive says not to thin it either. Spraying contact adhesive is a whole different ballgame. You need a fluid nozzle in your spray gun at least 1.8 MM for it to spray right, or a cheap spray gun with loose tolerances. It does NOT come out smooth like paint and never will. I got some advice to spray a coat on both surfaces, let it dry and do three coats that same way before bonding. That works very well. How much does that Helmetin green cost? When I come up to Ontario to fish next spring I'm going to check it out. What stores carry it up there? Would they have it in Dryden?

Dan
Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. The price for Helmitin varies from $40.00 cdn to $75.00 cdn, depending where you buy it. I only know of 2 places to purchase this stuff so I can't say gor sure if it's available in Dryden. Here in Canada, it's a pain in the ***** to get specialty supplies, usually we have to shop south of the border, or pay an arm and a leg for stuff.It's twice as frustrating and twice the cost to build a car street rod here. Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.