whats the correct way to set up my brake system?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

whats the correct way to set up my brake system??

i have a 1960 impala that i am redoing the entire brake system on. i am keeping it 4 way drum but i am upgrading to a dual master cylinder and brake booster combo. my question is how do i run my brake lines to the new combo? do i run one line from the rear to one cylinder and one from the front to one cylinder?also do i need a propotioning valve or anything else plumbed into the lines?if so where?or do i just hook the brake line directly from the wheel cylinders to the master cylinders?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

go to this site and order the catalog .it is full of diagrams and they are helpful people.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60n68palaridin
i have a 1960 impala that i am redoing the entire brake system on. i am keeping it 4 way drum but i am upgrading to a dual master cylinder and brake booster combo. my question is how do i run my brake lines to the new combo? do i run one line from the rear to one cylinder and one from the front to one cylinder?also do i need a propotioning valve or anything else plumbed into the lines?if so where?or do i just hook the brake line directly from the wheel cylinders to the master cylinders?
Get a junction block from any 67-72 GM drum brake car. This junction block has a differential pressure switch that you can choose to use or not (your call). The junction block has two inlets, one from each side of the master cylinder. The back of the junction block has a single outlet that should be run to the rubber hose that goes from the frame to the rear axle. The front of the junction block will have two outlets. Run a line from each outlet to one of the front brakes. This is how the factory did it for drum brake cars with dual reservoir master cylinders. You DO NOT want a proportioning valve on a 4-wheel drum brake car.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 PM

i checked out the mpbrakes website and it didnt have any iformation on the setup i am trying to currently figure out.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have the stock drum/drum brakes on my truck. I have a brake booster and dual resivour master (under the floor). As stated earlier you do not want a proportioning valve with this setup.

I do have a residual valve in each line for mine, but that is because of the location of the master. I would end up with all the fluid draining back without them.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:43 AM

well imma keep it in the stock location up on the firewall, what size residual valves do i need? also being that the old single resivoir master cylinder had a bigger brake line go into it and my new dual m/c takes smaller line. so does anyone know where i can get an adapter for my lines, because the wheel cylinders take a bigger diameter brake line also?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

You will not need residual valves. I was saying I had to do that with the master being under the floor to prevent drainback. Drainback meaning when going up hill the master is lower than the wheel cylinders.

Sorry for the confusion.

Simply go into NAPA auto parts. The guy here knew exactly what fittings (adapters) I needed for mine. The master had smaller holes than the factory lines on mine.

My lines are new...not 50 years old (in case anyone wondered). Just the stock size.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:54 AM

ok well im running all new lines to, its just i bought new wheel cylinders, and they have the bigger brake line holes then the ones for the new dual m/c.. and i have searched around ive been to napa ,kreagans,auto zone, and pep boys and none of the places have the line adapters, so if anyone has info on a website or a place i could get them i would greatly appreciate
Old 12-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Well...that is odd.

I just walked into NAPA, told the guy what I was doing and what I needed and he went to a drawer and pulled them out. They are just brass fittings.

I also got a "T" fitting I needed while I was there.

The other local parts stores have no clue unless they are in their computer. NAPA is the only one who knows parts around here.

This is not the one I used, but it looks like this. A smaller size thread inside and a larger one outside is all it is:

Old 12-15-2007, 02:05 AM

so does that adapter have to be a 45 inverted flare or does it not matter?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Going into the master there is not a flare. At least on mine there is not. Just screw threads.

The new lines had a flare and a fitting on it...that screwed into this...which screwed into the master.

Normally the fitting on the line would just screw into the master, but it was the wrong size threads.

Is that making any sense?

Look at how yours is made. Maybe chevy is different. This is how all the fords I have seen are made.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 AM

oh i fully understand mine are the same to but what i meant was like on the wheel cylinders, cuz they are gonna need adapter too?? what size line did u run? does the rear need to be a differnt size then the front?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60n68palaridin
oh i fully understand mine are the same to but what i meant was like on the wheel cylinders, cuz they are gonna need adapter too?? what size line did u run? does the rear need to be a differnt size then the front?
As far as wheel cylinders...I have no clue. Don't chevies have the rubber lines out to the wheel cylinders? Whatever is on the end of them should fit the wheel cylinders (I would think).

I did not run the new lines or rebuild the brakes themselves.

The PO (previous owner) was rebuilding the truck and did so. He never drove it other than down his driveway after he did so it was all new when I got it.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 AM

oh i see yeh i re-did my entire system i just ran into problems when i added the modern dual m/c cuz i thinkits for disc/drum conv. but i was keeping all drum so i didnt know if i needed to add a proportioning valve or any of the other stuff...i apprecitate ur help ive been stumped on this and been puttin it aside and rebuilding my powerglide lol

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.