What's the cure for CANCER? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's the cure for CANCER?

Im in the process of painting my '73 Scamp and it has alot of rust, mostly surface. Ive tried First step with no luck. I'm wondering whats the best method for stopping rust from breaking through the paint. Im not sure if I need to take the whole car down to bare metal and epoxy prime it, 3 coats of 2k and paint. Would you use Por 15, First Step, Rust Bullet? What would you do? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
official pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux King Painter
Im in the process of painting my '73 Scamp and it has alot of rust, mostly surface. Ive tried First step with no luck. I'm wondering whats the best method for stopping rust from breaking through the paint. Im not sure if I need to take the whole car down to bare metal and epoxy prime it, 3 coats of 2k and paint. Would you use Por 15, First Step, Rust Bullet? What would you do? Thanks in advance.
i do not have the cure but i shure would like to know myself, i got the same problem goin on. lol
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 PM

Have it media blasted, cut out any remaining rust, and replace with new metal. That's the only way to stop rust completely. Otherwise your just wasting your money.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 05:42 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Since radiation and chemotherapy are not viable options, then do like doctors, and operate. Remove it all surgically, and replace the damaged areas. If you don't do it that way, it will show it's ugly head again.

Aaron
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 AM

If media blasting is not an option then what else can be done? Are all these rust converters just a band aid on a broken leg?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

If it's surface rust and you can't blast or chemical dip look up the Randy Ferguson tutorial on how to remove rust. It shows how to remove rust with navel jelly. I've done it and it works but is very slow.

Danny
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

"Are all these rust converters just a band aid on a broken leg?"

In short, as far as I am concerned, YES!

I know that there are going to be some that swear by this product or that one. The big question is this. Are you willing to bet all of that work and money on something that most will tell you, will not be a permanant repair? I have had to go in and repair many areas where the "snake oils" have been tried. They may slow it down, but it comes back. It's as simple as that.

Something else to consider is $$$$. Lets look at the cost of just the paint and materials. If you think that the prices are high now, just wait. The main players have raised their prices numerous times in the last year. That will not stop. If it cost you, lets say $1000 for materials this time. In a couple of years, when the rust comes back, it may cost you $1200+ for the same materials. Of course, you will also have the time and work involved in repairing it.

I just finished a car that they had tried one of those converters on, 2 years ago.

Aaron
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM

This worked great for me on the surface rust found under an old vinyl top. No amount of sanding would get it to shiny metal but after finding this method I had it looking good in a weekend.
http://hotrodders.com/forum/secrets-...led-55679.html

Get rid of the rust, don't try to convert or encapsulate.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

As every-one has said, YOU MUST REMOVE IT!
My experience says rust and conversion do not belong in the same sentence.
Like you already know it is cancer. Would the doctor tell you "Well, we don't want to go to the trouble of removing your cancer, so, we're just going to "convert" it into... ...well... something else. And leave it under your skin."
I don't think so!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.