Whats the difference - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 08:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Whats the difference

Ok Im in the market for a new air sander, now im by no means a body pro or do I claim to be, but I am a weekender bodyman, Which Im still practicing, but I dont understand the difference between these 2 sanders, basically I want a da sander , so I can da an entire car, now I found 2 sanders but this one I really like cause it just looks more comfortable, heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Pal...3518QQtcZphoto
and here is the other sander link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-DAQ...9285QQtcZphoto
can anyone tell me what the difference is

chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Chris, they really are two completely different tools. The first on isn't a "DA" at all, it is an "orbital" sander. It is much smoother and should (I have no idea about this particular brand) tighter pattern than a regular DA as the second one is. The "DAQ" in the second ad is much more agressive and will sand feather edge paint much faster. It is also not as precise a tool. You couldn't "Block" primer or plastic filler with it, it is not a "forgiving" tool. The first on on the other hand is (at least a quality one would be) darn near a "block" and you can finish bondo work off with it like no bodies business. It IS the sander you would want to sand a car. The "DAQ" (they are copying a very well known brand National Detroit, probably the best selling sander of all time) is as I said, MUCH more agressive and not a "finesse" sander like the orbital.

I know these things cost a lot, but I highly recommend a quality tool like the ND I mentioned and the orbial DYNABRADE. They are SOOOOOOO far superior to these Astro Chinese Red army tools it isn't even funny.

By they way, the orbital (I have a DYNABRADE), I use it every single day doing this stuff for a living. The DAQ, I ONLY use it as a "grinder" when doing metal finish work. It is a "DA" after all (Dual Action) and can be an orbital sander or with a switch of a "button" be a grinder.

The better orbital ones like a DYNABRADE come in different models with different orbit patterns, some being very fine. With this tool you can color sand clear before buffing. You wouldn't even want to think of that with a "DAQ".

Brian
Old 09-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Your second example is a National Detroit copy, it has true Dual Action (DA) capability in that it will work in orbital and also circular like a grinder, it's made for general purpose sanding and will remove material fast.

I'm not sure about the first one but it does look simlar to one offered by Hutchins and my guess would be that it is more geared to finer finishing sanding with a less aggresive cut and only orbital action.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Brian, it looks like you were posting the same time as me, we're on the same page. Spent lots of time with a National Detroit over the years.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info, so if it were up to you would you choose the first one, all I wanna do is just dull up the clear , I thought this would save me alot of time

chris
Old 09-17-2005, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Chris, most certainly the first one, hands down.

Ok Chris, I give up, what is with the "5dogsisenuff" name?

Brian
Old 09-18-2005, 04:06 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have to agree with the other posts, the first one is the way to go. You can sand a car with the second one, but it is a hand full if you are not experienced. It takes both hands to operate properly. Doing that, you have a big chance of having a panel that is not straight, because of the uneven pressure that you put on the tool. I used one for many years. I grew up using one of them, and just didn't like the feel of the other one. I bought a Dynabrade, and now would feel like someone cut off one arm, if I had to sork without it.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Wow, thanks for the great info...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Chris, most certainly the first one, hands down.

Ok Chris, I give up, what is with the "5dogsisenuff" name?

Brian
We found a litter of puppies and kept them all and I told her 5 is enuff
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

LOL, Chris, I am literally LOL right now. I told my wife about your name last night and she told me exactly what you just did. "Hon, five dogs is enough." LOL

Brian
Old 09-18-2005, 08:57 AM

Tell me bout it, they are handfulls right now cause there still puppies, but they are alot of fun and wouldnt trade them for anything...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.