What's the difference between 8308 and 8307? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's the difference between 8308 and 8307?

One! but whats the difference between the two:
8308 - 3M Automix Heavy-Bodied Seam Sealer
8307 - 3M Automix Self-Leveling Seam Sealer .
Well I hate to say this but I've reading and figuring out how I was going to apply this "83037" Seam sealer and some how at the jobber the other day talked myself into the 83038. Well I applied it today to my "Roof Ditch" and it came out something ugly with not self leveling at all. So I'm about to put up a post to see what your thoughts were and BOINK it came to me I needed the 8307 not the 8308. So now I have a roof ditch full of lumpy sealer I have to remove and re-do. Nuts I was so close. Now I have to remove this stuff any thoughts on its removal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

Got it fixed.

Ok, I took a glue gun and some exacto blades and got it out. Just primed it tonight with to coats and tomo back to the jobber to get some 8307
Old 06-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
You should have posted asking before using it. YEOW! You have made yourself a mess.

When using seam sealer you need to mask it off, just like painting. Run a strip of masking tape down the line and you can brush it out, then remove the masking tape BEFORE it drys and there you have it, just like factory.

Brian
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM

No way you could even come close doing those ditches on the F150 with the heavy bodied. Dont get me wrong in 9 out of 10 times I pick up the heavy over the leveling, but not in this case.

One tip on the self leveling. Keep the tip moving and keep it in the "pool" of sealer. If you dont keep it in the pool it can air bubble.
Also try to make sure that your truck is on a fairly level surface. 3M did change their formula somewhat on the leveling. If you didnt have it completely level that stuff would just run and run til it cured. Just dam off the front and back and tape off the sides so you get a nice clean edge.

If I recall right you have a 4door f150, you'll need two tubes, three depanding on how thick you go...Eric
Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, its all clean now.

On the self leveling when you work it what do you work it out with. One thing on the heav body one, you could not work that stuff. I mean I tried and it seemed like it was curring in a matter of seconds. When using the 8307 do you brush it? Also do you start the tip in the middle of the roof ditch and just let if even out then after you have one full tube used go back and put another tube down for the deired height? thanks. Also the ditch really pretty and cleaned now. roloced it then 2k primed it again...

MP
Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 PM

I would wait til its cooled down seeing that you are from Texas, thats why the heavy was setting up so fast.
You wont need to tool or brush the leveling. I prefer to work from the end to end. Start in the back and work to front.
As long as you have the ditch taped off on the sides and dammed on the front just pump the seem you can get the height right. Dont go crazy with the stuff because it will run and level out.
No need to reapply.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Eeeew Now I remember somthing.

I let the car sit out in the sun due to heavy rain the night before and the let it sit in the garage for about 30 minutes. I remember at one point when I was applying this stuff I looked down the channel and I could see smoke. Cool. Oh well lesson learned. I did get the 8307 today and I'm going to put in on in the back yard where I have better air flow and out of the sun. hey MARTINSR, keep that photo and you could use it as an instructional as what not do on the seam.....
I'm going to apply tonight. Hey maybe the full moon will have some wild affect on the stuff.. aoooowwww
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Yup Yup 3807 is the way to go.

Well I just put down the new 8307 and that is the way to go. Lays down really smooth and even. looks cool to. There is some really cool stuff out there. Next I need that stuff that looks like foam that ford puts between seams. Any ideal what that stuff is?

MP
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by satexasf150
...at one point when I was applying this stuff I looked down the channel and I could see smoke. Cool.
Thanks, that made me laugh!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Well 3M makes about 3 different foams. They make one that is like the foam seen on the underside of your hood to keep the two panels from rubbing/hitting. It would be called a NVH foam.
Also make a structual foam,that is placed inside pillars to make them stronger.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.