What's the dumbest question you've gotten about your car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
What's the dumbest question you've gotten about your car?

I'm sure we've all run into those people that think they know something and ask you the dumbest questions

So post all the stupid questions or comments you've gotten about your cars here! I know there's gonna be some awesome ones!

I'll start it off:
I pulled into the gas station with my 78 firebird and some kid asked me if i had a "cold air intake kit" I just told him yes Lol.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
I'm sure we've all run into those people that think they know something and ask you the dumbest questions

So post all the stupid questions or comments you've gotten about your cars here! I know there's gonna be some awesome ones!

I'll start it off:
I pulled into the gas station with my 78 firebird and some kid asked me if i had a "cold air intake kit" I just told him yes Lol.
thats not all that dumb, as pontiacs calling card was ram air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
wretched ratchet's Avatar
one full turn after it squeeks
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yuppieville, Tejas
Age: 72
Posts: 1,175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 62
Thanked 176 Times in 137 Posts
"Have you owned that car all your life?"

"Nope, not yet !"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 12,978
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 696
Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
thats not all that dumb, as pontiacs calling card was ram air
I was thinking the same thing! "Ram air" is a "cold air intake".

Wrenched, I love it when they ask me that and the car is older than me!

I give people a lot of slack, hell I probably sound like a dip when I make comments on a car I don't know myself and I am a car nut.

The only one that really stands out was when my brother had a 39 Ford Standard and a guy was calling it a 38. My brother explained the difference and the guy walks away saying to his friend "It's still a 38".

And besides they could have learned some crap from a poorly written book or something that told them incorrect info, you can't blame them.

My son brought home a book full of 100 or so cars, I think even more, maybe 200 or more. It was about two inches thick, two to four pages dedicated to each car featured, from an AMC Rebel to Exotic European sports cars. My son read some and told me about it and what he said was wrong. It said the first Corvette was 54. I went and looked and EVERY car that I knew anything about had gross inaccuracies! So some poor guy could read this very well put together book thinking he is getting educated and really is learning all the wrong info which is worse than not learning anything at all!

So we can't give people too hard of a time.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
thats not all that dumb, as pontiacs calling card was ram air
I dont think the 16 year old kid driving a civic knew about ram air lol.
I have a bunch more instances though.
When i was running open headers, idling through a parking lot loud as a mother. After i parked i had i guy come up and ask: "where did you buy your cat back?"
Had a kid from my school ask about my "turbo kit" since he saw a had a "boost gauge". The car is not turbo nor does it have a boost gauge, he was looking at the tach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: south carolina
Age: 34
Posts: 67
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I pulled up in my truck at a buddy house and first thing he said is is that thing still running I told him no I pushed it while making engine sounds all the way here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
jdsaengine's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North side of Indy
Age: 65
Posts: 24
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Last week, my wife was getting out of her '03 Corvette and a lady came up and said "is that a Camaro??"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
Last week, my wife was getting out of her '03 Corvette and a lady came up and said "is that a Camaro??"
Haha those are the worst! I've been told "nice mustang" before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,058
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 355
Thanked 202 Times in 182 Posts
Since when did a K&N filter on a stick become an 'Intake'? to me, intake is short for 'intake manifold' you know that heavy lump between the cylinder heads that you can't wait to junk, and 30yrs late people are paying half a grand for one.

One of my friends had a gremlin when we were in school; another kid asked him "where did you get those cool custom badges?" Just the factory gremlin badges...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
I dont think the 16 year old kid driving a civic knew about ram air lol.
I have a bunch more instances though.
When i was running open headers, idling through a parking lot loud as a mother. After i parked i had i guy come up and ask: "where did you buy your cat back?"
Had a kid from my school ask about my "turbo kit" since he saw a had a "boost gauge". The car is not turbo nor does it have a boost gauge, he was looking at the tach.
ya. no 16y/o would have ever heard of ram air that was on every pontiac ad. from the grand am to the t/a ws6..
ok..sure..
as far as the turbo.. the older tachs look like a boost guage, if you look at the face set up.. and a 79-81 turbo t/a had the boost guage in the hood.. that most can't see with the cars off.

just be glad you're not driving a fiero.. I get the "don't those thinks catch fire?? "
I reply, yes they do.. I have rolled the dice for the last 28 years.. I should play the lottery........ lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Irelands child's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 4,847
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 13
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
I get several questions about my car, usually from a 'cool' 16-17 year old either trying to impress his buddies or his girl friend. Not sure that they are dumb, but just out of ignorance. The first is "How fast will it go?" My 'standard answer is "A heluva lot faster then I'll drive it." The next is "Wow, that's a neat engine - is it a 350 or a 454?". "No kid, it's well warmed over 302 FORD and in a Ford!!!!"

I try to be courteous with most folks, but sometimes it really takes patience - especially when they start with "my car", "my dad's", "my best friend", "the guy down the street has one even better". My 'standard' answer is "Gee, that's great. Where is it so I can take a look and maybe get some fresh ideas on how to improve mine."

Dave W
__________________
Irelands child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 265
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I get several questions about my car, usually from a 'cool' 16-17 year old either trying to impress his buddies or his girl friend. Not sure that they are dumb, but just out of ignorance. The first is "How fast will it go?" My 'standard answer is "A heluva lot faster then I'll drive it." The next is "Wow, that's a neat engine - is it a 350 or a 454?". "No kid, it's well warmed over 302 FORD and in a Ford!!!!"

I try to be courteous with most folks, but sometimes it really takes patience - especially when they start with "my car", "my dad's", "my best friend", "the guy down the street has one even better". My 'standard' answer is "Gee, that's great. Where is it so I can take a look and maybe get some fresh ideas on how to improve mine."

Dave W
warmed over 301 right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM
MXrider13's Avatar
The Dude
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 156
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 14
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If someone asked me a dumb question about my car I would just pull a Bryce Harper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM
boothboy's Avatar
More bucks, go faster!
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grass Valley, CA.
Posts: 580
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 133
Thanked 234 Times in 211 Posts
Probably the dumbest question I ever heard was about my old motorcycle. It was simply, "Can I borrow it"?
BB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
bigdog7373's Avatar
Of course it's fast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 2,673
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
ya. no 16y/o would have ever heard of ram air that was on every pontiac ad. from the grand am to the t/a ws6..
ok..sure..
as far as the turbo.. the older tachs look like a boost guage, if you look at the face set up.. and a 79-81 turbo t/a had the boost guage in the hood.. that most can't see with the cars off.
I don't think you're understanding the concept of the thread. We're not judging if the questions sound stupid or not, just simply sharing stories of encounters with less knowledgeable people who may have made a dumb but funny comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the dumbest thing you ever done as a kid with a car ? crystalbluevib Hotrodders' Lounge 15 05-29-2010 02:40 PM
Vying for the Dumbest Question wretched ratchet Off-Topic 0 02-27-2008 09:05 PM
Whats the dumbest...... A32flathead Hotrodders' Lounge 38 03-05-2004 02:31 PM
Whats the dumbest thing you have ever seen done to a car???? onebadmerc Hotrodders' Lounge 3 02-09-2003 07:04 AM
What's the dumbest thing you've seen on a car? Gearhead forever Hotrodders' Lounge 39 01-28-2003 03:09 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.