Hot Rod Forum banner

Whats this engine ?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  WDCreech 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here can help me identify the engine in the link.Even the Block manufacturer ,as the heads look as if they are sitting on an adaptor plate,also the blowers ? what are they?
Thanks in advance .

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
OK that era sounds good,In my research Ive found a few drag racing nostalgia sites,I will try a posting on one of them and mention Mickey Thompson, and see what turns up.As I am not yet registered on any drag racing sites , that may take some time So I am still hoping someone on here will still give me some more information.

Thanks again.
Just Googled Images and sure enough this photo appears in the Mickey Thompson book , but still no details about the engine, I will try Pontiac, but its obviously a hybrid, the heads look like European Opel Record heads .

#8 ·
:)I havent found my answers yet , but theres some great reading on the old drag sites, one story about the drag racer that ,wes so keen to race he left the line with 2 helpers still aboard , they jumped clear and were unhurt.:)
And yes those cars are indeed works of art,never to be repeated events too.

#9 · (Edited)
the blowers could be off of a 4-71 or 53 series detroit, but i remembered that wieand have either made or altered superchargers for several years.

Weiand 7740-1 Supercharger System Roots 144 Series Satin Chevy Small Block Kit on eBay!

the 60's were probably the best times for experimentation in drag racing with alot of innovation coming from that era. eddie hill with a side by side twin engine rail, tommy ivo's 4 engine 4 wheel drive dragster, don garlits running a turbo over supercharged rail, guys trying to run allisons aircraft engines. the automakers also did alot of experimentation, and one of g.m.'s contributions was the buick "nail head" engine.

Buick Nailhead - History Of - Car Craft Magazine
(i hate their web site with all the pop up's, but once past the garbage there's alot of useful info)

also, pontiac tried for several years to become the king of drag racing with mixed results.

HowStuffWorks "1963 Pontiac Super Duty 421: A Profile of a Muscle Car"

it appears from the picture the engine might be a 421, as the heads of a nailhead are more vertical.

by the way, i've never seen those heads on anything else, so i assume they were custom built or altered factory aluminum heads using the same technology as inline heads. i brought up the buick and pontiac engines by the shape of the windage tray. also, not every manufacturer made aluminum heads back then.

#11 ·
Found the exhaust but it doesn't look like it exits the cylinder head.

Just Googled Images and sure enough this photo appears in the Mickey Thompson book , but still no details about the engine, I will try Pontiac, but its obviously a hybrid, the heads look like European Opel Record heads .

Where did you find this reference? Link?

#12 · (Edited)
mickey thompson at Muroc 1959 - Google Search .
This is the link that gave me the starting point to Mickey Thompson , then I just kept " Googling " and following links.
Then the cylinder heads ,well I reconise them as either Opel Record (GM Europe) from my motor mechanic ing days ,but with GM stuff it could have been the other way around, the Opel heads could have been similar to some USA GM made engine heads .As for the exhausts ,the loose head beside the car on the ground is showing both both inlet and exhaust ports on the same side, which is common on non crossflow heads.
I dont give up easily so Im off to Continue Googling .Thanks to above posters. The lack of accessory mounting holes on the heads also point to them been from a 4 pot engine, IF they were Opel Record then those were made from cast iron.

#14 ·
Pretty unusual design, but easier to figure out when you look at the head sitting on the ground in the left lower part of the picture. It clearly shows both intake and exhaust ports on the same side of the head. Somebody spent some late nights thinking up that design!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.