What's the entry fee of your local car shows ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
then stay at home and keep your car in the garage, YOU pay
a fee to show. for the cost of the land used. and the insurance coverage and other fee's like clean up after the cars leave.. over and above the trophys and other stuff.
YOU take your car to a show, it show off. other wise you'd not take it to a show you'd be driving it around and not parked on a show field.
you are not a big name builder that would be a "draw" that might get a spot on the show field for zip.
your FEE that you think because you spent 30k and your free time on, should be waved, pays for that insurance coverage if a tree happens to fall on someones pride and joy, or anyother crap that could happen.
some of you people really should become part of a club that puts on shows. as you think you should be "showcased" for free..
if you think the 5-7 door fee for those that come to look at the cars covers the insurance rider . you need to step back.
the bigger the show the bigger the rider, if they are drawing 3000 hotrods that can avg. value of 50k each..
you need to remember the car shows are for us, the car guys/gals not those that come to look at the cars.. that's just gravy..
some need to remember this.. as they forgot it.
You don't have good reading comprehension skills do you? sorry, I didn't realize. [shrug]

Russ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I wish it were so simple as to be able to set up a show, do flyers, pay fees, ins., etc. and not charge the car owners, or be able to gate the property and charge spectators. Most properties where shows take place are impossible to gate off securely, so charging spectators is impossible. Very few spectators show up anyway, as most attendees have cars in a show, so they are the bulk of spectators.
I don't run any shows, nor would I want to, but I do understand the reasoning for charging to attend them. My friends and I have often duscussed the fees being backwards for charging us to attend so others could look at our cars for free, but it's just the way it is. If we don't like it, then we don't go, or we can put on our own show and see if we can avoid losing our shirts doing it.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar T View Post
You don't have good reading comprehension skills do you? sorry, I didn't realize. [shrug]

Russ
Oh, I got, it. because you spent 2 years and 30k on a car hobby you love, you should get a spot on a show field for free.
maybe back in the 50's where a town didn't require so much to ok a permit. ya. but not today.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I get asked to judge show's all over here and Have helpped put some on also,,, Being on the inside of these show's I can tell you this,,,, Try doing one...

You will see the cost it takes to do one,, And not only the cost,, But also all the red tape..

Our biggest show here is A little over 500 cars.. Mostly small show's here.. And them show's are to raise money for,
Kids with Cancer,
benefit to help someone's family that passed away,
Benefit to help a kid that is Handicap,
Benefit to help a family that lost EVERYTHING due to a fire, And the list goes on...

When I did and can show a car, I do it for the right reason's.. I will pay my share in a heart beat... So Like I said,, If you never put on a big show... Just go try one.. Are be there when they hand over the money to A kid in a wheel chair,Or family in need,, Then I think your out look would change.. Try it !!!!

Support the show's that help other's..

You don't want to pay... Don't go.Just do cruise nights...

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 06-16-2013 at 09:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
Dave57210 (06-17-2013), gearheadslife (06-18-2013), Trucknut (06-17-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

we have a local show. $12 to pre-register (free t-shirt to first 25) and $15 at the door. Most shows in Southern Michigan can be entered for a $20. frequently there is a benefit to pre-registering.

There are quite a few events that are free,l such as the Cruise/show to Baker's in Milford.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I get asked to judge show's all over here and Have helpped put some on also,,, Being on the inside of these show's I can tell you this,,,, Try doing one...

You will see the cost it takes to do one,, And not only the cost,, But also all the red tape..

Our biggest show here is A little over 500 cars.. Mostly small show's here.. And them show's are to raise money for,
Kids with Cancer,
Benefit to help a family that lost EVERYTHING due to a fire, And the list goes on...

When I did and can show a car, I do it for the right reason's.. I will pay my share in a heart beat... So Like I said,, If you never put on a big show... Just go try one.. Are be there when they hand over the money to A kid in a wheel chair,Or family in need,, Then I think your out look would change.. Try it !!!!

Great post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-16-2013), sedanbob (06-17-2013), Trucknut (06-17-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

IS NO ONE LISTENING?? I don't think a person here has implied that they think it's easy or cheep to put on a show. WE KNOW IT'S HARD WORK AND EXPENSIVE. The complaint is that the wrong people are being asked to pay for it. would you expect to go to a football game for free and just have the players pay for the overhead? what other sport or hobby is done the way most car shows are? I can't think of any.
I have in fact been invited to enter my cars in shows. the only time I accept is for the one local show that charges the spectators and the entrants show for free. this show takes in a substantial amount every year and donates to a childrens hospital, so don't tell me it can't be done. it appears to me that it's just so much easier to collect from the captive participants, so the organizers take the easy way out.
Doesn't really matter to me anyway, as I drive my cars. if it's on a trailer it's been stolen.

Russ
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Great post!
Thanks.. Glade someone thought so..
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i typically go to 3 or 4 shows/cruise in's per week and never pay a fee
i've never felt the need to have my truk judged or receive a trophy, those shows usually charge an entry fee
i also prefer to hang out with like minded persons who don't need the judging or trophies
there are numerous car shows and cruise in's around this area that are free and those are the ones i prefer to attend
food quality is also a major preference most of the shows i attend fund raise thru food and t-shirt sales
most also have live music or a dj, they typically make their fee by selling 50/50 tickets

bakers in milford typically has 300 to 600 cars per week with no fee
a local vfw has no fee and a 1983 cut off date. they fill their parking lot every week and have to turn away cars during the busy times
hines park cruise also has the 1983 cut off date and will soon be the go to cruise instead of woodward's minivan and and used car crowd. they also have a closed 6 mile course and a 1000 acres of parking

as for spectators? i could care less, i'd rather hang with car guys
though i can understand the need for spectators to boost food sales
but they should have free access too
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post

Kids with Cancer,

though i should start doing these types of shows
i just wonder how much of the take goes to benefit the said benefactors
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Last photo:

Generally, there are two types of events. The first one is the cruise. Generally the cruise is free, but benefits commercial entities as they dramatically increase the sale of food and/or services. Usually there is no trophy, though sometimes the business will recognize the cruisers in some way.

The second type is the show. Proceeds from shows generally go to a charity or organization. Yes there are usually fees associated with these shows. The participants know that going in, and in most cases, look at it as a donation to whatever the cause.

Personally, I've been involved in organizing a local car show to benefit a local Social Services organization and youth baseball. I personally end up with about $500 in out of pocket expenses that are not reimbursed. I am able to claim as a tax deduction. In addition, I probably put in over 100 hours of my own time each year. I look at it as my donation to my community.

Personally, I attend probably 2-3 shows per year. The shows I go to support clubs that support my clubs show, or support an organization I feel strongly about. The rest of the events are cruises, usually 2 per week during the Michigan summer.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
though i should start doing these types of shows
i just wonder how much of the take goes to benefit the said benefactors
Well that's a good point... I have seen a $16,000 dollar check handed to the childrens hospital more then once...

I look at it the same way I do when I give at my Church...

A guy once asked me...

Do you give at your church... I said Yes I do...He said how do you know the pastor is doing the right thing with the money ?? I told him it's not my place to worry about that...

He said what you mean it's not your place to worry about that.. I told him the pastor can being using the money for the wrong thing or the right thing... God will Judge him for what he does with it,,, I also said God will judge me for giving with a good heart..

Now in some case's we would be judge different..

You see.. I have learn over the years to do what I feel is right, No matter how things look around me,,,, And I'm blessed everyday for doing so..

Live life the way you feel you should,,
Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

We have one of the largest car shows on the east coast here in Syracuse. Its over 5,000 cars and there has to be probably 100,000 people from friday to sunday that the actual show is on-going. It costs us I think $60 to get in for the 3 days with the cars. We also get a free picnic, a 'not-so-goodie bag" and a few other trinkets during the week before the show. There is a cruise night here Tuesday through Saturday at different places in the area; and 2 of the better ones can easily clock 1,000 cars on a wednesday night.
The 2 bigger cruise nights have DJ's and are required by the property owners (per their insurance) to have an off duty cop. Half of the gate money ($5 a car) goes to the cop and the DJ. The other money is raffled off to the cruise people. We also had a girl who brought dogs from the pound, guys would routinely give her the money to take care of the dogs. In fact one cruise night, everyone chipped in at the end of the season and bought her a pallet of dog kibble.

I know that the guy putting on "The Nationals" isnt destitute, and most of the show employees are volunteers. Its a business. He markets it, brings in the out of towners, the people who look, the Make-A-Wish kid, they have seminars with guys like GENE WINFIELD and Artie's Panel Jam. Theres plenty to do, if you want to do more than sit on your duff with the locals. I also know $65 to hang out for a 3 day weekend with your buddies enjoying cool cars we dont get to see isnt bad. I also know 1 building at the fairgrounds costs 14 grand a WEEKEND to rent. Never mind staff, clean bathrooms etc etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Around here, it usually is $20.00 to $50.00 for a show. Some are one day events, some run all weekend and include camping.

My club hosts one show a year. We charge $12.00 to show entrants, who get a dash plaque (which seem to cost us about $10.00 each to get made)

We were, at one point, partnering with a charity, with spectator admissions going to the charity, but the local parks board has moved us to a different field where we cannot control spectator access so there is no longer any charity component.

As a club, we risk total bankruptcy every year as our "up front" costs basically equal the anticipated gate admissions. A rain-out means we paid for park rental, paid for insurance, paid for the entertainer, paid for the dash plaques, paid for the trophies, etc, etc, with little or no income from the day.

Even with donations of door prizes and some trophy sponsorship money, we'd be unable to do the next year's show.

So if you don't want to pay to get in, and help offset our club costs, then don't come to our show - or any others around here, either.

The football team analogy is entertaining. I don't see anyone being paid a zillion dollars a year to show their car, to risk it all in terms of career-ending injuries, and I don't see any national TV deals with mega-buck sponsorships around here at car shows. Maybe its different in your area?

Look at it more like the weekend office league level of games where you DO pay to play
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
Around here, it usually is $20.00 to $50.00 for a show. Some are one day events, some run all weekend and include camping.

My club hosts one show a year. We charge $12.00 to show entrants, who get a dash plaque (which seem to cost us about $10.00 each to get made)

We were, at one point, partnering with a charity, with spectator admissions going to the charity, but the local parks board has moved us to a different field where we cannot control spectator access so there is no longer any charity component.

As a club, we risk total bankruptcy every year as our "up front" costs basically equal the anticipated gate admissions. A rain-out means we paid for park rental, paid for insurance, paid for the entertainer, paid for the dash plaques, paid for the trophies, etc, etc, with little or no income from the day.

Even with donations of door prizes and some trophy sponsorship money, we'd be unable to do the next year's show.

So if you don't want to pay to get in, and help offset our club costs, then don't come to our show - or any others around here, either.

The football team analogy is entertaining. I don't see anyone being paid a zillion dollars a year to show their car, to risk it all in terms of career-ending injuries, and I don't see any national TV deals with mega-buck sponsorships around here at car shows. Maybe its different in your area?

Look at it more like the weekend office league level of games where you DO pay to play
Look's like someone knows about the things people don't stop and think about.......

Seen a club one time put on a show,,, And the wind picked up at the show blowing over a small tent,, Guess what came next ??? A lady was hit by the tent and here come's the law suit...

Just check out how much it cost for insurance for one day or a weekend..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.