What's everyone doing in the Garage? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My partner and I are still working on the altered roadster chassis and hoping to finish up the roll cage Monday. Gotta get the inspector to cert the thing so we can be ready to race this summer. Seems like I've been welding on this thing forever. At least it has wheels on it now. That old beat up Bantam body is laying out in the yard lookin pretty sad. It's next on the list. I guess this beats workin for a living.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 PM
View 24 albums at Moes Garage

Last photo:

[IMG]I'm waiting for the steel roadster body to arrive
So I can then set my engine and tranny angles and weld notor and tranny mounts in. (The rad is apparantly at the shop waiting for pickup)

Tires were recently mounted on the rims

Roadster body (rumbleseat) should be here In July...

I am currently working on swapping an s-10 (T5) tailshaft onto a mustang T5. Problem is that its winter here and the garage is not heated so ....

Mostly working on the website (adding more photo albums) when the mercury drops below zero.

There's always something to do.....

moe

--------------------

http://spaces.msn.com/MOES-GARAGE/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1000020 REDUCED.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	10499   Click image for larger version

Name:	F1000021 REDUCED.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	10500  

Last edited by moefuzz; 03-03-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

I got sick of the snow plows ripping my mail box apart every snow storm. So, I took a new mailbox, and mounted onto a 1" thick cast iron sewer grate, then welded that onto a steel pipe, which is bent at an easy 90 degree angle. That is inserted into another pipe which is in the ground. Then I put a telephone pole 4' into the ground, installed 4 BIG reflectors, and sawed it off at the level of the mailbox. If the plow takes out my telephone pole, and then hits my mailbox, then it will swivel out of the way. I'd love to be there to see what happens when a snow plow hits a telephone pole. If he hits it, Ill post some pics.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Im working on wiring my 60 GMC and hoping to get the brakes on it soon.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

Working on getting the dragster engine back together. Had .001 honed out of the main saddles so i could get .0025 main clearance. Since a .001 os X bearing was used. i cant get anymore clearance and the main saddle was a little tight.
got a new cam for it since the old one was totally wrong for alcohol as it ws designed for a 3200 lb gas door car. And the fact that it was installed at 4 adv made it a dead player over 6500. Getting the fuel system flowed so i will know what the pressures are( cant afford a data recorder).And my brother is stretching the chassis and building a new body.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Continued... I'm also working on a charging/slow to start when hot problem on my Olds too. That's what great about cars, the older they are the more stuff pops up to keep you busy!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Tool & Die Repair God!!!

Last photo:

re: What's everyone doing in the Garage?

I'm doing absolutely nothing in my garage and its really starting to get me down. Currently working on my buddies 52 Chevy pick-up. He's been working on it on and off now for over 16 years ( keep in mind 3 kids and 2 relocations later) and as I bought my 62 impala the bug bit him hard to get back out there and wrench. It's coming along great, getting ready to set the cab back on the chassis and hoping by early next week to finish off replacing the bed floor and hopefully at least getting it to move on its own power. Then I can finally get back to work replacing the quarters on mine but wait, my friend called me and needs his el camino painted as well as his wifes maxima. I think I have finally archived a level of niceness thats gonna be with me for 15 years until I finally get back in my garage and work on the 62. Kevin
Old 03-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

I'd love to be there to see what happens when a snow plow hits a telephone pole. If he hits it, Ill post some pics.[/QUOTE]

You'll be getting your picture posted too. Placing the post there is probably, no, most likely, illegal. Even if no one hits it, you could still be charged with public endangerment. I'm no expert on law, but an uncle learned all about this after building a stand out of railroad track
Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

In the process of transplanting a 4.6 liter 32 valve DOHC into my T bucket and still have a lot to do. Right now I'm trying to finish up polishing the blower and it's a real drag. Seems like the more I sand and smooth, the more I have to do. I originally planned on powder coating it wrinkle black, but figured it would need to be smoothed to powder coat anyway. Once I started smoothing, I got the bright idea I could polish it up nice. Still have fuel lines, coolant lines, wiring harness, computer programming, not to mention many little detail items to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blwr org.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	10519   Click image for larger version

Name:	blwr pol.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	10520  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

Doing the exhaust on my Coupe....
Old 03-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Hmm...major plans are on the back burner. I got this crazy idea to drive mine to the supernats in TN in May. I am just trying to get all the bugs worked out of it for now. It looks rough, but thats half the fun!

Thursday my master cylinder decided to release the brake fluid. Its always something. LOL Maybe its time for a power brake upgrade?

It now has some used tires, and a new battery. I put halogen sealed beams in last week. It has a tailpipe now too. I have the poly liners ordered (for the springs). I will remove a few leaves so it rides a little better when they come in. I have new wiper arms and blades ordered. I want to install front and rear sway bars if I can match some...umm.....recycled.... parts up.

I have the step plates to install. The list gets longer every day.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:40 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnTool
I got sick of the snow plows ripping my mail box apart every snow storm. So, I took a new mailbox, and mounted onto a 1" thick cast iron sewer grate, then welded that onto a steel pipe, which is bent at an easy 90 degree angle. That is inserted into another pipe which is in the ground. Then I put a telephone pole 4' into the ground, installed 4 BIG reflectors, and sawed it off at the level of the mailbox. If the plow takes out my telephone pole, and then hits my mailbox, then it will swivel out of the way. I'd love to be there to see what happens when a snow plow hits a telephone pole. If he hits it, Ill post some pics.
that's a good one... you might have to help the snow plow driver out of his rig once it wraps itself around your pole... i think he might be doing it on purpose though... does it happen to all the houses on your block? or just yours?

i actually was able to blast my engine bay and passenger door jambs and got them primed... looks like it is paint this coming weekend...
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I couldn't find a gas tank to fit my Rambler, so I'm making my own! The stock tank is only 22" from front to back and only 7" deep in front, 4" in back. Closest fit I could find was a mid 70's Nova at 24". Most that were just 20"-22" were 9"-10" deep. 8" and 5" would have been almost an inch deeper than the stock tank, but would have worked without danger of dragging the ground.

I know how to make duct work, and started to make the tank with ends seamed like duct (folded over and crimped). Then I planned on adding some tack welds or rivets (through the folded seams) and using some tank sealer just to make sure. I'd thought about soldering the seams too.

Well, the local rod shop, who got the sheet steel for me and let me use their shear to cut and brake to bend it up, talked me into using 18 gauge steel and welding. I still bent flanges on the end so there would be lap instead of butt welds. I should have stuck with 20 gauge (which is as thick as the original tank) or 22 gauge and built as planned. I'd be done by now! I have a flux core wire welder, no bottle. I really need to get a bottle!! Filling in the pin holes has been quite a chore. Weld, grind, check for pin holes, weld, grind, check for pin holes (damn, there's STILL a few), weld, grind, some of these suckers just WON'T weld over (probably contaminated with slag)!!

Wel, I'm going to go back and try soldering the noticeable holes instead of welding and grinding a couple more times (and still having $%^%^## pin holes!). Then I'm using some tank sealer on the ends. The result should still be a nice tank that won't leak, unlike the original now. It leaks when full. I'm soldering in the pickup and vent tubes. I think an added EFI return line is leaking -- didn't want to solder or weld on a used tank, so I epoxied it. It's been in there for a couple years, I think vibration may have broke it loose. That or the sending unit seal has gone bad.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
In the process of transplanting a 4.6 liter 32 valve DOHC into my T bucket and still have a lot to do. Right now I'm trying to finish up polishing the blower and it's a real drag. Seems like the more I sand and smooth, the more I have to do. I originally planned on powder coating it wrinkle black, but figured it would need to be smoothed to powder coat anyway. Once I started smoothing, I got the bright idea I could polish it up nice. Still have fuel lines, coolant lines, wiring harness, computer programming, not to mention many little detail items to do.
YeeeeHaw......sounds like a nice package. Let's see more pics
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Thanks fitzwell,

Just click on my journal and theres pictures. BTW, I gave up polishing yesterday and powdercoated the blower case with the wrinkle black. I think it looks pretty cool. ( I'll post a pic later) I can always swap the case out for a polished one later if I want.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.