Hot Rod Forum banner

What's everyone doing in the Garage?

7K views 68 replies 43 participants last post by  61bone 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone is currently doing to their Ride-

I am installing a new Firewall, complete Floorboards and mini-tubs in my '35-the Firewall and front Floorpans are in, rears will be in tomorrow-next will be the mini-tubs (gotta make a new stand for my Bead Roller first) :thumbup:

What's everyone working on? :welcome:

#3 ·
i'm trying to get my nova's bodywork done so i can paint in the next few weeks... then i have to finish wiring hte garage, and then finish the barstool... then onto the truck and the morris.... but then again i think my bro's 67 wagon will be in there somewhere too.

#5 ·
I am just finishing up a MAJOR makeover on my shop... Brite white paint, new cabinets, lights, more cabinets and NO open shelving...

My primary CAR project is designing and building a new front and rear suspension for an Astro Van. Redesigned front cradle with all new upper and lower control arms, Corvette R&P and brakes.

The rear is getting midi-tubbed with a narrowed leaf spring suspension, 9" and corvette brakes again. :sweat:
I am also getting a new Tig welder to help facilitate some of this build... :thumbup:
Mark

#6 ·
I've been trying to get my 77 Chevy truck together, which will always be a
rat rod, but pretty decent, and quick enough to take down most threats. :evil:
And the little short bed 5spd 4cyl S10 is still on the back burner with the
engine parts scattered around. (some still at junkyard)

And everyone wants me to pull the 37 Willys out of the barn and start
restoring it, but I just don't have a good enough place inside to do it yet. :(

I've been helping a buddy restore (body off) 64 Chevy C10 LB step side, 232 6, 3 on the tree. We were driving it but we have it all tore down now.
We are working on the interior and dash components/wiring and steering coulomb. He had some bucket seats done up with some really nice ostrich/baby ostrich skin, with some leather trim I think.
The body needs a few dents pulled, but a bunch of rust holes cut out and
patched, it's about to get sent to the body shop, as neither one of us want, or have time to do any body work. We just have it flat black for now, you know what they say, Primer Is Finer! :thumbup:

#9 ·
resto1944

I'm in the process of re-doing a 50 chev. 3/4ton, I'll be putting in a 250-6cyl. and 3 spd. tranny. I'm strippin' er to the bare basics. My other projects are. 1953 chev truck lowrider, sittin' on a 79 cutlass frame, with 455 Olds engine (sorry) it came with the cutlass I bought for the switcheroo. My other projects are a 57 1/2t and a 64- 3/4t. chevs. You can see my toyz on this site.
www.webshots.com/trucks

#11 ·
My 36 Ford 5WC is back in the shop for EFI conversion and a rear suspension up grade. It started as a TPI conversion that hit a road block. After rounding up all the parts, wiring harness and MEFI, I started removing the parts and did a few measurements. Can't put the TPI in without removing the entire front end, cutting the fire wall and moving the motor back about 4 inches, which means the X member has to be modified and drive shaft shortened. Nah, I'm to old for all that stuff. I have been on the phone for the past two days along with some email work with Edge and have made arrangements to return all the new parts to Pace Pontiac and Summit Racing and ordered the Edelbrock Pro Flo 3503 which will go in and work fine. I wanted to use the MEFI controller so I could keep ever thing under the hood. One of the techs that I worked with on getting my 3507 going in my PU told me how to put the interior computer under the hood and live. I'll keep you posted on that.

The rear suspension work involves reversing the eyes on the leaf springs, shortening the leaf spring 1/2" on the rear portion behind the spring bolt, and adding a 1 1/2" block. This will lower the rear about 2 3/4 " and effectively stiffen the suspension slightly. I am also eliminating the rubber that surrounded the springs that Ford put on the original Mustang II rear suspension.

Trees

#12 ·
I been going out to look at the coupe, some days (weekends)
turn on the heat and have a few Bass Ale's wishing it was
warmer out to go for a ride... then thinking maybe I should of
put heat in the coupe, and what about the seat ? ...................
Pop another top and think some more..........

It's ready for the season, just can't wait

#13 ·
:thumbup:

I'm just starting on the brake system and removed the body again to run the new lines, pulled the engine and tran and will clean up install new cam, intake and carb, then tear it all down and paint the frame and complete under carriage. Loving Life :evil:

30dee

#14 ·
Been working on the beadblaster mostly. Need it for the axle replacement and discs on the 27. Going well. Probably have it working Saturday. This will give the 61 Bonneville convert a **** in the arm too. Made some progress on the Latham drive. Still need to work out the linkage for the four YH side drafts. That's getting a little complicated. For me it's DR. Pepper and Diana Krall. Located a nice 15 Dodge touring body for the next rod. Thinking maybe a Pontiac 389 tripower (got a spare) 4 spd and a custom grille shell.

#16 ·
My partner and I are still working on the altered roadster chassis and hoping to finish up the roll cage Monday. Gotta get the inspector to cert the thing so we can be ready to race this summer. Seems like I've been welding on this thing forever. At least it has wheels on it now. That old beat up Bantam body is laying out in the yard lookin pretty sad. It's next on the list. I guess this beats workin for a living.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard

#17 · (Edited)
I'm waiting for the steel roadster body to arrive
So I can then set my engine and tranny angles and weld notor and tranny mounts in. (The rad is apparantly at the shop waiting for pickup)

Tires were recently mounted on the rims

Roadster body (rumbleseat) should be here In July...

I am currently working on swapping an s-10 (T5) tailshaft onto a mustang T5. Problem is that its winter here and the garage is not heated so ....

Mostly working on the website (adding more photo albums) when the mercury drops below zero.

There's always something to do.....

moe

--------------------

[url]http://spaces.msn.com/MOES-GARAGE/[/url]

Attachments

#18 ·
I got sick of the snow plows ripping my mail box apart every snow storm. So, I took a new mailbox, and mounted onto a 1" thick cast iron sewer grate, then welded that onto a steel pipe, which is bent at an easy 90 degree angle. That is inserted into another pipe which is in the ground. Then I put a telephone pole 4' into the ground, installed 4 BIG reflectors, and sawed it off at the level of the mailbox. If the plow takes out my telephone pole, and then hits my mailbox, then it will swivel out of the way. I'd love to be there to see what happens when a snow plow hits a telephone pole. If he hits it, Ill post some pics.

#20 ·
Working on getting the dragster engine back together. Had .001 honed out of the main saddles so i could get .0025 main clearance. Since a .001 os X bearing was used. i cant get anymore clearance and the main saddle was a little tight.
got a new cam for it since the old one was totally wrong for alcohol as it ws designed for a 3200 lb gas door car. And the fact that it was installed at 4 adv made it a dead player over 6500. Getting the fuel system flowed so i will know what the pressures are( cant afford a data recorder).And my brother is stretching the chassis and building a new body.

#22 ·
I'm doing absolutely nothing in my garage and its really starting to get me down. Currently working on my buddies 52 Chevy pick-up. He's been working on it on and off now for over 16 years ( keep in mind 3 kids and 2 relocations later) and as I bought my 62 impala the bug bit him hard to get back out there and wrench. It's coming along great, getting ready to set the cab back on the chassis and hoping by early next week to finish off replacing the bed floor and hopefully at least getting it to move on its own power. Then I can finally get back to work replacing the quarters on mine but wait, :( my friend called me and needs his el camino painted as well as his wifes maxima. I think I have finally archived a level of niceness thats gonna be with me for 15 years until I finally get back in my garage and work on the 62. Kevin

#23 ·
I'd love to be there to see what happens when a snow plow hits a telephone pole. If he hits it, Ill post some pics.[/QUOTE]

You'll be getting your picture posted too. Placing the post there is probably, no, most likely, illegal. Even if no one hits it, you could still be charged with public endangerment. I'm no expert on law, but an uncle learned all about this after building a stand out of railroad track :)

#24 ·
In the process of transplanting a 4.6 liter 32 valve DOHC into my T bucket and still have a lot to do. Right now I'm trying to finish up polishing the blower and it's a real drag. Seems like the more I sand and smooth, the more I have to do. I originally planned on powder coating it wrinkle black, but figured it would need to be smoothed to powder coat anyway. Once I started smoothing, I got the bright idea I could polish it up nice. Still have fuel lines, coolant lines, wiring harness, computer programming, not to mention many little detail items to do.

Attachments

#26 ·
Hmm...major plans are on the back burner. I got this crazy idea to drive mine to the supernats in TN in May. I am just trying to get all the bugs worked out of it for now. It looks rough, but thats half the fun!

Thursday my master cylinder decided to release the brake fluid. Its always something. LOL Maybe its time for a power brake upgrade?

It now has some used tires, and a new battery. I put halogen sealed beams in last week. It has a tailpipe now too. I have the poly liners ordered (for the springs). I will remove a few leaves so it rides a little better when they come in. I have new wiper arms and blades ordered. I want to install front and rear sway bars if I can match some...umm.....recycled.... ;) parts up.

I have the step plates to install. The list gets longer every day. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.