What's the fastest you've driven your car on the highway? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's the fastest you've driven your car on the highway?

I was 16, and had just gotten license and my 67 Impala, It had a 283 with a powerglide transmission.
<----------- This Car!
Slow as all out coming off the line but once you got her going she would fly.
Anyway it was about 2 or 3 in the morning and I was mad about something (I don't remember what but it probably had something to do with a girl) and I hit the interstate, Got that thing up to 110! (Speedo goes to120) Scared the bleep out of me! It started shaking and bouncing I slowed down fast and never did that again! I learned that night that life is too important to lose it just because your mad.
Anyone else ever done anything stupid like this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 05:29 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

pegged a few 120-130 mph speedos in cars, used to run 140-150 on a bike on the open stretches.....

first bike i had, i told myself i'd never open it all the way up. that lasted about a week. it would do 145 with me sitting up on it. fastest ive ever seen, close to 160 on two wheels. like 158, didn't see the needle actually hit 160, but i was all over it, too busy watching the road.

do as i say, not as i do.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:33 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

My Bro's 69 Charger with a built up 440 and 4 speed had the speedo pegged at 150 and Im sure it was faster.
My friend had a bike and together we hit around 125-130. I was scared to death on that one. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

1974 Plymouth Duster, with 318. New stretch of highway, no people, pinned the 120mph speedo like an inch past the 120 mark. I was 18 and thought I was invincible. I also did a dukes of hazard with this car, jumped across a railroad crossing and caught several feet of air. (That's why the k member and oil pan had deep gouges in them....)

I'm sorry for the abuse I put that poor car through. Was first car I built, replaced motor trans, and many other parts, from time I got it at 16. Final day I lent it to a friend and he hit a granite curb in bad weather broke the k-member where the lower suspension connected. Kinda funny it was taken out by a collision with a curb at less than 30mph. (that jump could have set that up...)

Jim
Old 10-06-2003, 06:18 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Whoaaa Nellie! Ain't airing my dirty underwear in public. No sireee!!!

Trees
Old 10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:

Come on Trees, YOU KNOW YOU WANNA!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

In my really stupid days I have hit well over a hundred in a few cars. Glad I lived thru them also. Hit almost a hundred on a bike one evening on the way home from work. I was going down the interstate and opened it up. All of a sudden it started a high speed wobble. If you have never had the thrill of a high speed wobble on a bike it is about one of the scariest rides you can have. Front wheel starts wobbling back and forth real fast. You let off the gas and the wobble starts to get larger so you speed back up to try and keep the wobble tighter. The bad thing is that you have time to think and know you are going to crash. All this on an interstate and running around 90 now. I figured if I was going down I had better do it in something a little softer than asphalt so I headed for the median. I let off the throttle a little and switched lanes and it was just enough to get out of the rythm of the wheel shaking. After I got stopped and got my composure. and my breath, and my hands to stop shaking, andf a pants check to make sure they weren't totally filled. I had to continue about 30 more miles home. Took a little over an hour to get home. That was the last time I had the bike up much more than speed limit. I really believe someone up above was looking out for me and give me the time to think while I was going down the road. I think that was my second chance. So to say those days are way behind me and we just cruise now. I seen to many other get killed because of high speeds and it just is not worth it. I witnessed a brother of one of my friends get killed in a drag race. The last thing he did before they left the line was give me a thumbs up. He hit a culvert pipe in a side ditch at high speed and the force was so hard he was ejected thru the roof of his '68 Firebird. I think we have all done something stupid like that. One thing to be thankful for is that we are still here to say we did.

Kevin
Old 10-06-2003, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

150mph is about it for the box. Had a 1970 R/T 440/4 speed charger also and had it in my mind that it could go 200mph!! Wrong!!! Spent a lot of time and money all the way to ground affects and spoilers. But the nose kills it. The air sees it as a big box and no amount of HP can beat out aerodynamics. My quest for warp speed was cut short by a CHP certified 150mph ticked and all the bad things that went with it.. Suddenly keeping my license seemed more important than going 200mph. An after market Superbird nose and Wing was on my shopping list at the time but the courts ate my piggie bank.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

1995 Lincoln mark VIII, needle stopped at 140 but the car still had balls, so 145-150.
on two wheels with friend driving and no helmet, about 165 is what i made out through all of the water pouring from my eyes.
very very scary, yet very fun.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:15 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

Nice Texas highway. RX7 145+ still had throttle just not enough straight road ahead. Nice smooth corn field though. Never tried that foolish stuff again.
Well until I got my Yamaha seca 650 turbo. One good slide and that fun was over too. No crash just a long slide after the turn. Ruined a good boot.
Now that I have a child I just can't do that anymore and cruisin the speed limit is my limit.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I am surprised the speedometer still worked in my '79 Caprice coupe drag car, being my daily driver and weekend street machine and all.
The speedometer only went to 85 but the stock 305 could eat that, after I lightened the car and added the 350 I had trouble finding a car with an accurate speedo that could match my top end on the highway- somewhere around 145 and still had pedal.
A Meridian Township police officer in an unmarked Diplomat came out of the country club on Lake Lansing Road in East Lansing, Michigan where I grew up- came out at the wrong time and at the speed I was going when I crested the hill before seeing him.
I had to swerve to change lanes to avoid hitting him, and in doing so sped up because I was irritated at him, I stopped at the light at Hagadorn with intention of turning right and as soon as I did he nailed me, said he went to 100 and only caught me because I stopped for the light.
Long story short, he did not ticket me for speeding- but for a hefty handful of safety violations (illegal lighting, turning violation, failure to yield, loud exhaust, exhaust not exiting behind rear axle, and a few others I can't remember right now.
After that I went to four wheel drives and haven't broken the 90 mph mark since, not to say I haven't tried, but it isn't worth it anymore I have a few reasons to come home now.
Matt
Old 10-07-2003, 06:07 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

September of 1975, Las Vegas Nevada leaving Nellis AFB, heading toward the mountains, turning right as you leave the base. Myself and Airman Gregg Frost, driving his dad's Ferrari went 156 MPH and it scared my sheetless! He was driving the car to his uncles from Iowa to San Diego. I got my tatoo that weekend. A piece of my own private history that I will never forget. I remember the telephone poles going by like it was a fence!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:14 AM
www.s10v8.com

The fastest i have ever been was in my 84 vette, 152 mph....Jay
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Fast as rice pudding

I pegged my '97 eclipse rs at 140 once or twice on a long stretch of interstate at about 3am. It only took me 4 minutes to get it up there too

I seriously felt like I could use a push.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:26 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

I pinned my lil' ol' 4-cylinder Mercedes 190E at 118 going through western Minnesota. I think the engine is governed not to exceed 115 or so. But that car didn't shake wobble or roll at all. In fact, my passenger was casually reading a magazine when I broke the 100 line. It makes a great difference when you drive a vehicle with both front and rear tuned suspensions. It was just made for the road I guess.

I had my 'Bird going way past the 85mph speedo...it looked like it was on its second time around. Tha t was after tires, alignment, and all new shocks/struts. Its pretty good too on the curves. For a car that has been severely bashed in the front, and subsequently re-welded, I sure as heck couldn't tell.

This is a very bad weakness of mine...I love high speed...always have. I remember what a thrill it was on my first jet flight. I could sense when that big bird exceeded the 120mph barrier. It was so cool...like being in a super fast car. It hit about 160mph (of course I was reading the specs) before it lifted which was also a rush.

This old Ford Truck...well...lets say 80mph, then it starts getting scary. I haven't been brave enough to push that one yet. In time..In time. BTW, I hear the Ford Lightning is now the fastest pickup in production, it has been clocked at 146MPH tops. Hummm? that sounds like fun! Now you know why the SHO is so alluring to me.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.