whats first steering or headers??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

whats first steering or headers???

be gentle all im a novice and building my 1st rod a 36 plymouth coupe. im trying to get my steering figured out b/4 i pull the body back off the chassis. i dont know if i should do the headers first and work the steering around them or the other way around. im going to have difficulties with both. i tried block huggers but it came down on top of my gear box (vega) so ill have to pre-fab headers. the steering shaft will to come through or under the headers which will mean at least 2 u joints. im stuck!! i dont want to order steering parts and find out i wasted money due to wrong size. any help would be appreciated and or pictures

thanks all and merry christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

You will get different answers on this, but I am in the middle of this right now-I just bought my Seats, and have the engine sitting in place (with Headers)-now I am buying the column, and plan to install it next-

btw, I will also be running two shafts-don't forget the support bearing!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i would say headers first
because they are going to be harder to move or change
the steering shaft can be made to zig and zag if needed
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

I did my steering first. Main thing was locating my steering box and column. Once the steering was in, then I could figure out what type of headers would work and how much clearance I would have to play with.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

First of all, welcome to the site. Lots of help here as well as some fun.

A couple comments - a '36 Plymouth is kind of an odd ball for many of us, so we will have to give any questions a thought or two. And that frame and installation can't be any more difficult then a narrow Model A with a way set back engine as mine ended up.

This is the way I did my '31 Ford A. Body on, headers on, install the steering column. You may need to change how and where that column was mounted originally to clear headers. A tilt column works well to fix the angle. Install your steering gear - a rack and pinion arrangement is well worth the upgrade, but a conventional will work as well. Get all of your required steering u-joints(Borgeson or Flaming River) and the support bearing. Make up dummy shafts using 3/4" dowels and run them as you would the final steel shafts - trying to make this arrangement up without using the dummy shafts can get real expensive. Make a bracket out of 2x2x1/4" angle iron for the support bearing and fix the final location. If one leg is too long, a hack saw will fix that. I first of all, bolted mine on, then mig welded it after I was 100% happy where it went. I have just about 5/16" clearance, shaft to headers.

Don't try to install the column unless you have your final seats installed for distance and to make sure the tilt will bring the angle to you comfortably. Also, make sure the steering wheel will not be cocked and will have enough clearance to the door and dash.

Mine, and a photo cropped and enlarged for more detail, so quality has suffered:

Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Well, you will get different opinions in here. Ireland has some excellent advice on installing the column and steering, not to mention a clean install on his vehicle. If you already have the headers and engine, then yes, you'll have to do the steering second and work around the configuration of the headers. If you haven't purchased headers, there are so many applications out there for headers that finding a set to fit your application is fairly easy (especially if your installing a GM motor). It is definitely easier and cheaper than finding the right combination of steering boxes, etc. We ran into this exact problem building my friends 35 Ford Humpback and ended up selling the headers we had and just purchasing a set to fit our application. What is very helpful as well, is going to several websites with pictures of the same model car your building and look at what they did, what type of headers they are using, etc. It will give you ideas of how you want to get it done and save yourself a whole lotta time, cash in planning or fabrication.
BTW- I noticed Ireland's distributor is in the proper place on that engine.

Last edited by kleen56; 12-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Mine is none of the mentioned cars but I am doing the steering first then the headers as I want my steering to work well for me and that was the override in making my decision in how to proceed..

Sam

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.