what's a good dedicated nitrous system fuel pump?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what's a good dedicated nitrous system fuel pump??

Hey all,

ANyone have any recommendations for a decent quality nitrous system fuel pump? I can only spray a 175 shot with my current setup, but I'm not sure if my mechanical can keep up with the engine and nitrous together. Would only run this pump when I need the nitrous.

Not wanting to go full electric just because of price and a bunch of replumbing.

Summit has a Carter electric , 72 gph, 6 psi, for 59 bucks. Are these any good? don't think i would need a regulator with it either, which would keep things simple.

Thanks for any help!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Holley blue/black with dead headed regulator should work fine.

I have sprayed 200 on dedicated fuel system fed by a blue pump.

After rereading your post.. I have a question. Are you talking about running an electric in line with your mechanical or using a different fuel system for the nitrous?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

I would be open to go either way, whichever would work best - don't know what would be the best way. I was leaning toward the dedicated style system that I would only use when the nitrous was armed.

I have not heard good things as far as reliability on the HOlley Blue pumps.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

pump

I run a dedicated system on my car also.. I personally would not do it any other way.

I also run a holley blue pump and a dead-headed regulator...on my car and a few customers.... Zero issues on plate systems up to 250hp shots....

The only bad thing i have ever had happen with the blue pumps is the gasket will spring a leak every now and then. I just keep a spare around. I also have a holley blue pump on my test stand and that thing works flawless....

Keith
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
The only bad thing i have ever had happen with the blue pumps is the gasket will spring a leak every now and then. I just keep a spare around. I also have a holley blue pump on my test stand and that thing works flawless....

Keith

I friend of mine says they have bronze bushings that fail with any sort of use. Is that not true?
Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

I had 2 blue pumps(engine/nitrous) on my car for almost 5 years with No leaks or failures. Thats with many street miles and countless passes.

They are noisy but work great for me. If you mount them with rubber bushings it helps cut down on the noise.

If you don't want to run a complete 2nd system from back to front, you could set of a small 1 gallon cell up front with pump/reg.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Holley has it all worked out. They make them really noisy so you know that they are still working. When it gets quiet you know that it's time for a new shiny one.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

So no one has any idea about the Carter pumps?

If the Holley blue pumps are about $105, would I be better off getting an Aeromotive "hot rod" style pump for $165 and do the whole system? Could get one that will do 750 HP - but needs a regulator. Could also get the "street rod" style that is preset to like 6 or 7psi, but only goes to 600 HP (which again would actually be a little shy for the motor and nitrous together).

I have an edelbrock mechanical see below.

Performer RPM Street Fuel Pumps
Designed for use with all Edelbrock carburetors, these high-performance Street Fuel Pumps have six valves and a flow capacity of 110 GPH. The unique valve design improves flow quantity and quality, and will support engines up to 550 hp. High-volume, 3/8" NPT inlet and outlet surpasses the capacity of conventional models. Produces 6 psi which is correct fuel pressure for street.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM

If I could make a suggestion. We run a lot of nitorus motors around here and love it. We are a little cautious with the fuel supply to the nitrous. If your motor is working good on the pump you have leave it be. Fix yourself a dedicated nitrous fuel system. Use a 1 gallon fuel cell and a Holley blue pump. The pump Comes with a regulator so all that is needed is some fuel line, a cell and some time mounting. It will make everything a little safer, you don't have to worry about a lean condition because the fuel pump could not keep up. And with the shot of nitrous you are using it is easier to fine tune your set up by adjusting the fuel pressure on the nitrous side. This way if you adjust for the carb it doesn't screw with the nitrous. The 1 gallon cell is compact enough to mount about anywhere and you will definitely have enough fuel. You would be surprised how little amount of fuel is needed for 1/8 or 1/4 mile pass.

Dave
Old 08-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

I think you are right on leaving the carb supply alone and just adding for the nitrous - I like the thought of adjustment just for the nitrous.

One concern I have with the dedicated fuel system is that I won't be using the nitrous all that much. Might go for several weeks before using it. The car is "fast enough" for the street most times. It would seem that I would have to worry about the fuel getting stagnant in the cell and/or lines.

What do you all think? Just run the nitrous more often???
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 PM

You can use a RCI # 2010d fuel cell. It has a 1 gallon capacity with foam. It also has two #8 fittings in the bottom of the cell, use one for the pick-up and put a #8 cap on the other and use it as a drain. Email this site and they can help you out with any questions. "info@performanceparts.com"

Dave

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.