whats a good manual tranny? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
mini me

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

whats a good manual tranny?

i was wondering what or which manual tranny is any good. i want to put a sbc v8 in my new rx7 and it's already set up for a manual {insert smiley burning out here}

i'm guessing something with 5pd./overdrive to help with the mpg (due to our ridiculous gas prices ) but will handle the power of a built v8 and will put me in a neck brace when i pop the clutch but yet strong/reliable. if thats possible

J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

whats a good manual tranny?

What about a Doug Nash/Richmond Gear tranny,they have 5 & 6 speeds available with different ratio's available and they are a strong and reliable tranny.One very important thing to do when installing any standard tranny is to make sure you have the bellhousing/input shaft/crankshaft end bearing properly lined up,if not you will break parts,clutches,gears,throw out bearings,and it could be hard to shift.Lakewood has a tech section on how to do this,and there are also other ways to acheive the same results.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:04 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You may want to check out the transmissions from Tremec. They have both a 500 and 600 ft-lb rated transmission. The 5th speed is the overdrive, with either .82 or .64 o/d ratios....I'm not too familiar with the Richmond/Nash stuff, but some of the 5 speeds are not o/d, so you get a 5th gear at 1:1.
I have a Tremec TKO 600 and it has a .64 o/d ratio which allows me to go with a 3.73 rear and 31" rear tires on my street rod.
Here's a couple of sites:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp
http://keislerauto.com/
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
daywalker

re: what's a good tranny

i've got a tremec TKO 600 and love it. it's in a Firebird with about 435 horses comming out of a 400-ci motor and still gets 18 mpg on the highway. i've also got a buddy with an old Datsun 280z that has a 400-horse LT1 and 4.11 rear gears that gets 18-20 on the highway. good luck!

Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
mini me

Last photo:

thanks for the links and the other good info

i think i might just keep the rotary engine, but i don't know i'm still playing with the idea of putting a v8 in it.

i'll probably change my mind again by tomorrow

thanks, Jesse
Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
mini me

Last photo:

hi, sorry it's been almost 2 months but i was still toying with the idea of making a v8 rx7.

alright after much thaught and debating (with myself) i found myself thinking about seriously doing it in the last week in a 1/2. so i think i'll end up doing it here in the future. so anyway after much reading and looking here and there this is what i found out.

alot of people are putting the t-56 in there old muscle cars and alot of modern cars. i have also read mixed views, some say the t-5 was better for there app. and others with the t-56 say "no way" the t-56 would've been better.

so which is it? is what i was thinking to myself, how can someone with one tranny say it's better than the other guys tranny when they're not the one driving the car so on searching i went. i found some people say the t-56 is more reliable and can take the abuse it was made for and thats why it was put in vipers, lt1's, and blah blah

so then i found out the bottom line was > it depended on the builder and (of course) wallet size and that sucks b/c my wallet normally looks like it was ran over by the steam roller

so here it is, choosing between the t-5 & t-56 completely stock which would you choose to put in and why? if it were you

i just wanna know your guys opinion on this. i could keep searching and reading till my eyeballs fall outa of there sockets, but i'd rather discuss it with some you so i can get a better prespective on this

thank always,

J
Old 07-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Did not see this thread earlier

I have the Tremic TKO in my 59 EC. It has a 3:27 (i think) first gear so it acts like it has a 4:10 rear---actually have a 3:36.

I like it enough that I intend on putting one in my 66 EC and my 454 c-10 pick-up. (hope it is tough enough for the occaisional towing i do).

The TKO in my 59 was bought a few years ago (it was called the TKO II then) and had to be modified for a chev, but, I think that they are now being produced for all of the big 3.

Again--sorry I did not see this sooner

Bryan
Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 PM
mini me

Last photo:

it's alright, i started thread about a month ago. i didn't want to re-post so i just braught this one up again

J
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Go with the T-56. The T5 was availiable in a world class and a non world class. The W/C was good for up to about 300 ft/lbs of torque, and was availiable in acmaros, firebirds, mustangs, ect after about 1986. The non-W/C was a weak trans, anything more than a stock 305 would destroy them. The T56 is good to around 400-450 ft/lbs, depending what year it was manufactured, and would help the mileage as it has a double o/d. To 1993, a .80:1 fifth, and .62:1 sixth gear and was good for 400 ft/lbs, and from 1994-1997 a .74:1 fifth and .50:1 sixth, good for 450 ft/lbs. The older trans had a little deeper gearing, but the newer one is slightly stronger.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.