Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - whats a good price for good th-350 and 400 cores?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

You are correct. There is no one in your area that buys cores for parts. Nearest place most likely is Chicago, but I have no idea who does, if anyone.

The places that I know about are in Dallas, Texas; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Kansas City, Kansas; Soucie, Mississippi; Louisville, Kentucky; Hamlin, Iowa; and several further away. I am in Oregon, so unless you drive here on vacation, it is not cost-effective to sell them to me.

Your best bet is to contact your local transmission shops. Often they will buy cores that they know they will need in the future. If nothing else, let them know that you usually have a bunch on hand so if they suddenly need one they will check with you first.

Front wheel drive cores generally have no core value. Too many subtle varieties and too short of a demand window.

Truck transmissions tend to be in constant demand, so those are the only ones I would save from the shredder.

Standard transmissions are almost impossible to sell as cores. Very few companies (maybe a dozen or so) nationwide that have any interest in standards. Usually the large cities (over a million people) have ONE local rebuilder (operating out of his home garage) that does only standards, but they don't buy nor sell out of their local area.

I have probably personally ripped apart over 100,000 transmissions over the last 25 years. And have probably owned another 250,000 or so that others have ripped apart or that I sold as cores. At one time I was selling 30 tons of scrap iron from transmissions every month. That is about 800 transmissions per month across the ripping table for one ripper.

Today I am only buying about 200 per month and selling most of them as is to others. Only about 40 per month are now crossing the ripping bench.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 03-08-2009 at 04:47 AM.